Exercise module add-on: Exercise module overview

Exercise module add-on: Exercise module overview

by Ray Kingdon -
Number of replies: 20
Here's the overview:

An Exercise is a simple but powerful assignment. In an exercise the teacher asks the students to do a piece of practical work. It could be writing an essay or a report, preparing a presentation, or setting out a spreadsheet, etc. When the student has done the task they must first self-assess their work before submitting it to the teacher. Once submitted the teacher can assess both the student's assessment and the piece of work itself. The teacher can give feedback to the student and ask the student to improve the work and re-submit it or not as the case may be.

Before the start of the exercise the teacher sets up the exercise by

1. Creating a Word document or HTML file which introduces the exercise and tells the students what they have to produce. This file is uploaded into the exercise by the teacher.
2. Adding the textual elements and choosing the options in the Assessment Form. This form is used by both the students and the teacher to assess the work produced in the exercise. There are various types of assessment which can be used (see the help on "Grading Stratgey")

In large classes, the teacher may find to helpful to create more than one version of the exercise. These variants add a degree of variety to the exercise and ensure that students are doing different tasks in the exercise. They are allocated to the students in a random but balanced way. Each student receives only one exercise but the the number of times each variant is allocated in a class is approximately the same. Note the variants should not be too different as the same assessment form is used for all of the variants.

With the description(s) of the exercise and the assessment form in place, the assignment is opened to the students. They are shown a description of the exercise or task. When they have done the exercise they must assess their own work (using the pre-prepared assessment form) before they can submit their work to the teacher. The assessment form can be used as a "checklist" by the students. They can, if they wish, revise both their work and the assessment before they actually submit their work, and probably they should be encouraged to do so!

Once a student has submitted their work both their assessment and the piece of work itself becomes available to the teacher. The assessments can be graded and there is a box for comments. The teacher can also access the piece of work (using the student's assessment as a starting point) and make a decision whether to ask the student to re-submit an improved version of the work or not.

If the teacher feels that the student's piece of work could be improved, the student can be given the opprtunity to re-submit. If this is taken up the teacher re-assesses the work using an assessment form which contains the grades and comments they gave to the student's previous submission. Thus, the re-assessment is then a matter of updating the form in the light of the student revised work rather than undertaking an assessment from scratch.

When the deadline for the exercise the teacher moves the exercise to the next phase. This stops further submissions from the students. The assessments and submissions which have not be graded and assessed should now be done.

With all the submissions graded, the exercise is moved to the final phase. The students can now see their final grades and the grades given to their submissions. A student's grade for the exercise is a weighted combination of the teacher's grade for their self-assessment and the teacher's grade for that work. (The grade given by the student is not used.) For the submissions themselves the grade is teacher's assessment. The weights used for the two grades (the grading grade and the actual grade for the work) can be set and changed at any time during the assignment.

When the teacher allows students to resubmit work, the teacher should consider how to set the option which controls how the student's final grade is calculated from multiple submissions. This option allows the teacher to choose between using the mean grade of the student's submissions or their best submission. This option can changed at any time and it has an immediate effect in the grades screen.

In the final phase of the exercise the students can also see a "League Table" of submissions. This an ordered list of the submissions, the submission which received the highest grade is at the top. When there are multiple submissions only the student's best submission is show in this list.

Gosh, what a lot! I wonder how it works in practise, watch this space big grin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Kingdon

Re: Exercise module add-on: Exercise module overview

by Ger Tielemans -

Nice spinoff from the workshop, especially the selfgarding scales! Thanks Ray.

Creating a Word document or HTML file which introduces the exercise..
By the way may it also be a pdf-file (created with the free product PDFcreator?)

A teacher on one of my schools wants the students themselves select from the available assignments ( in that case only one of each? and when it is chosen it leaves the row..) Is it possible to make this a variation of your distribution mechanism? (How to make the choices visible...?) 

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Ray Kingdon -
1. PDFs? yes, the exercise instructions can be put in any type of file that can be displayed on the student's system.
2. That should kind of work with the current code. The exercises get allocated on a "least-used, then random" sort of way big grin By that I mean a student gets the exercise with the lowest number of previous allocations. If two or more exercises have the same number of (lowest) allocations, then one of them is chosen at random. So if your teacher puts in 30 assignments into an Exercise and there are 30 or less students they SHOULD all get different assignments. Unfortunately there is no element of choice in the distribution of assignments, that will be random. There's also no mechanism for manual allocation of assignments to the students by the teacher. But each assignment should only get one "outing", to use UK Lottery speak.
I'd be interested to know if that actually works in practise wink
Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Loren Winfrey -
Ray,

I have the zip file and uploaded and when I go to the admin, I recieved "missing mysql.php". This didn't come in the distribution. Can I get it? Please!!

Loren
In reply to Loren Winfrey

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That's my fault - I forgot to check the mysql files in ... fixed now - download the zip again.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ray Kingdon -
Sorry Martin, but I don't seem to be able to see either the exercise or dialogue modules in cvs. Locally I removed the moodle/contrib, moodle/mod/dialogue and moodle/mod/exercise directories from my top level cvs directory, (called locally moodle_cvs) and did a update -PAd at that directory level (in moodle_cvs). Zippo, I'm afraid, no contrib directory was created in moodle_cvs or moodle_cvs/moodle. (Lots of other things got updated though!)

I've had a grub around sourceforge.net but again the cvs directories contrib and moodle/mod don't seem to have exercise or dialogue.

I've found a couple of bugs and would like to clear them. Should I send in my zip file?

Ray

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Ray!

Exercise and Dialogue are in contrib, but contrib is no longer under "moodle" (this change happened a few months ago - you may have missed it).

You need to check out "contrib" as a separate CVS module. If you do this WITHIN the moodle tree then it looks like it did before and will even cvs update along with the main tree as before.

cvs -z3 -d:ext:username@cvs.moodle.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co contrib

There are five such CVS modules now:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ray Kingdon -
Thanks Martin,

I've now updated the module in the contrib cvs. The bug was caused by those pesky quote characters in text, (fixed with the unflattingly named addslashes and stripslashes functions) big grin

I've upped the version number, for no good reason except that it's now "exposed" on the module's administration page. I thought that might be helpful at this beta stage. There's no changes to the data structures.

Anyone trying the module should take this version (2003100400) "in the fullness of time". The bug in the previous version only appears if the teacher uses quote characters in their feedback comments AND the student resubmits work. All a bit hyperthetical really wide eyes

Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Sean Keogh -
Hi Ray,

Is there supposed to be a set of lang files with this? I downloaded it from the modules page and installed it....database tables got created ok and so on...but it shows up on the list of modules as modulename, and if youtry and add one to a topic, all of the settings are likewise in the same state: title, description and so on...although strangely enough Maximum grade does not have the square brackets around it. Have I picked up a dodgy download here?

There is an exercise.php file (plus a directory containing help files) under lang/en but perhaps I have an older version?

Prior to installing exercise I put in the latest nightly build of moodle 1.2 development.

This isn't an urgent proble...I just wondered if it was my fault or a problem that needed picking up.

rgds

Beardie Sean
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Sean Keogh -
Ahh, no worries, I've worked it out. I forgot to copy the lang and help files across...worra pillock!

Despite playing with this since last November or whenever it was, I'm still learning how moodle is constructed.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Martin Dougiamas -
No matter - I'm just about to put Exercise in the main CVS so you won't need to do this anymore (CVS will probably ask you to remove the manually-copied files). I'm still undecided about putting this module in a *release* but it should be in CVS for those who want it.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Sean Keogh -
MMMmmm....I like the sound of this. I think some of our tutors would find it verra useful.

Thanks Ray!
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by S. Fieler -
Thank you very much for this module. I will install it at once.
With this module I can do Webquests in an easy way. This was what I was looking for for a long time.

Greetings from Bavaria
Susanne
In reply to S. Fieler

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi S. (Sufie?) Fieler,

Your message was posted long, long ago (October 2003!), but I just read it today. If you (or anybody else) still reads this thread, could you clarify for me how one might use the exercise module to do Webquests? It is not clear to me that this module adapts itself very well to do Webquests but it's very possible that I'm overlooking something.

Thanks in advance.

Josep M.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

Exercise module mod

by Peter ŠŠlapanský -
Hallo,

I've made a few modifications to the module and, for the time being, created a
temporary one, called Exercisemod (ingenious, aren't I ;) ).

Link: http://www.slapo.net/ine/moodle/moodle_exercisemod.zip

This link can also be found at: http://www.slapo.net/?obsah=exercisemod

Basic F.A.Q.:

1. What does this module do?
2. What are the differences between this module and standard exercise module then?

1. Pretty much everything Exercise module does, a few things have been modified, though.
2. 3 things: if you upload a zipfile, it should be unzipped and all the files in it should be automatically 're-uploaded' as separate assignments for that exercise, unless they have a 'res_' prefix (without the quotes). If they have a 'res_' prefix, they should be copied over to a direcotry called 'resolutions'in the exercisemod data folder. What for? When a teacher decides that he/she wants to grade a student, there should be a link on the grading page visible only to the teacher linking to an 'Example resolution', which should be the reference resolution (but since there is often more than one correct solution to a problem, I've decided to call it 'Example resolution') for that assignment. The link will work only if the file with a resolution exists.
IMPORTANT: Filename of a resolution to an assignment called e. g. asmnt001.html should be res_asmnt001.html, i. e. a resolution has to have a 'res_' prefix and be of the same file type, otherwise it won't work.

I was hoping that if more people would find these tweaks useful, it could be merged with the main Exercise module when Exercisemod is considered stable.
Any kind of feedback is welcome, just bear in mind there are still a few things to do.

Related: I'm also working on a translation of help files for the Exercise module to Slovak, I'll post here when I'm done (I just had to write this ;) ).