New module: bookings

New module: bookings

by Audun Hauge -
Number of replies: 11
This module is designed for booking rooms,items and also signing up for single events. I've had versions of this code before as sideblocks, but I think it works better as a module. I've used the new assignment with submodules as a template. Different types of bookings can be added later. This version has three types:
  1. weekly timetable for rooms/equipment
  2. yearly view of weeks (book a week at once)
  3. appointment or single sign-up
This is an early version that needs testing, but it is already usable.
Give it a try on a development moodle smile
Version 1.5
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Audun Hauge

Re: New module: bookings

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Audun,
again great work.

The possibility to add new rooms with new properties and child open a series of unlimited applications.

I just test it with 1.5.1+ with some warning and notices if debug is activated.

I will install Moodle 1.5 later this week to give adequate feedback ( non versionning problems ) to your work.

Maybe something not Moodle version related:

The fisrt time the edit option if offered after creating a new booking, the edit link seem missing the course module id ( wich is not already created at that time ! )

Wich led to

But editing work fine after when offered later with the schedule.

Thanks,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Audun Hauge -
Yes, I know blush.
One of those things I intended to fix before posting, slipped my mind.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by N Hansen -
I tried setting up an appointment and I'm having some trouble. First of all, the columns and rows and their purpose is very confusing. Secondly, after I do this, I just get a blank screen. For appointments, there needs to be a way to for the teacher to choose time slots, and these should be displayed to the student according to their own time zone, even if different from the teacher. I have students all over the globe and the only modules developed so far that do this sort of thing (appointment, scheduler) assume everyone is in the same time zone.
In reply to N Hansen

by Audun Hauge -
I quite agree with you. I've still to find a good way to describe the purpose and function of the options for the appointment-sub-module. I'm not even sure if appointment is a good name ...

The purpose I'll be using it for is more like a sign-up.
Here the values for cols might be :
Trip 1, Trip 2, Trip 3
and for rows:
day1,day2,day3

This would give you a table where users could sign up for the trips they want to join and also which day. Assume trip 1 has a upper limit of 30, assume that on day 2 there will only be two buses=limit of 60.
Then we could write
Trip 1:30, Trip 2, Trip 3
and
day1,day2:60,day3
In reply to N Hansen

by Audun Hauge -
The situation you describe would perhaps best be met with a new submodule. It sounds like a remake of scheduler with support for timezones would serve. Could you describe how you envision the setup and display for this kind of global scheduler.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by N Hansen -
With regards to the time zone issue, I would envision it working like any other scheduled activity works in Moodle. The time displayed to a user at any point is the same as the one they have specified they are in. If I set a due time as 12 noon, and you are 5 time zones ahead of me, you will see 7 am. The same should work for scheduling. If I schedule something for 12 noon, you should see it as 7 am.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Ger Tielemans -

Warning: gregoriantojd() expects parameter 3 to be long, string given in C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\moodle151\mod\bookings\type\weekly\bookings.class.php on line 159

btw: nice module smile

In reply to Audun Hauge

by Pieterjan Heyse -
Audun, this looks very promising.
I installed your module and tried some of its features. I am confused when looking at the 'edit' screen. The default content is room, equipment, examrooms, etc ... but I can only select 'rooms' to book ? Is there a way to make it possible to book equipment, too ? Maybe add like 10 laptops, so they can be booked ? Should I add the laptops in the 'rooms' category ?

What are the other categories for ?
In reply to Pieterjan Heyse

by Audun Hauge -
You can set up any item as bookable. The booking module has 4 different booking types so far. An item that you want to book must have a property with the name scheduled and a value of (weekly,yearly or calendar).
Only items with the correct schedule type will show up for selection when you choose a booking-type.

You can make whatever categories you wish. A new item of a specific category will have certain properties defined by category_template. This is just an item with the name of the category + _template, like room_template. Any properties for this item will serve as a template for new items of this type.

If you add laptops as a child of a room, then you can navigate from a laptop to its parent ( the chosen room). Also the parent will show a list of children.

I've done some more work and will post a newer version soon ... (version 0.7).
Version 1.0 should have all neccesary features of a moodle mod, including backup.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Pieterjan Heyse -
Ok Audun, thanks for the info. Keep up the good work and is there any timeframe in which we can expect that release ?

In reply to Pieterjan Heyse

by Audun Hauge -
A fresh version (0.7) this week. Version 1.0 end of august - beginning of september. I'm writing some helpfiles and adding in backup code.