Problem with topic format

Problem with topic format

by cecilia dal bon -
Number of replies: 23
I have a weird problem with a course in topic format.
Topic no. 14 and 15  can't be hidden, neither moved and if I add resources or activities, even if they exist in their category in the course, they don't appear in the topic.
In I create a new topic, no 16, it works normally but if I move it to become no 15 problems appears again.
...???
If I can't fix it how can I delete totally a topic from the database?
thanks
Cecilia
Average of ratings: -
In reply to cecilia dal bon

Re: Problem with topic format

by cdx cdx -
hi Cecilia,

i think i had similiar problems with topics and posted them a month ago with no replies. here is the link.

you can delete a topic by turning on editing and clicking on the "x"

craig
In reply to cdx cdx

by cecilia dal bon -
Hi Craig, i'm still using moodle 1.4 and I don't have X button...any suggestion?

by cdx cdx -
Hi Cecilia,

we are using 1.5 so i am afraid that i am not much help with 1.4.
In reply to cdx cdx

by Lisa Frary -

Hi,

I also cannot DELETE a topic.  There is no "X" to click.  I can delete Resource pages, yes, but I can't delete a topic.  I can hide them by resetting the number of Topics in a course, but then when I try to add blank topics, the old topics show up instead.

- Lisa

In reply to Lisa Frary

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
You can't delete topics, but you can hide them (click on the eye). In your course settings you can choose NOT to display hidden topics in stead of showing them collapsed.
In reply to Lisa Frary

by Martin Mueller -

Hi Lisa

I thought just in time about this problem. It seems to be impossible to delete. But I found the following procedure fits my needs:

• Move the topic to delete downwards just to the end and hide it (by pressing the eye icon, or by reducing the number of topics).
  • If you hide them by reducing the number of topics and like to ad a blank one, increase the number of topics in order to get the blank one visible, move it to the position where you like it and hide the rest by reducing the number of topics again.

Hope this helps

Greetings - Martin

In reply to Martin Mueller

by cecilia dal bon -

My problem is that i cant hide or move the two topics...something went wrong with the database I think when I created them and now I don't know what to do with them...I can add new topics and they work normally.

Cecilia

by Martin Mueller -

Do you don't have those arrow up and down symbols on the right side of each topic i marked with the red dash-dot rectangle (I have a new icon set so they may look slightly different at your screen) ???

Or do you have them, but they do not what you expected to do?

Martin

Attachment img1.jpg
In reply to Martin Mueller

by Cathy Schulz -
Martin,
I've found that if you try to hide the unwanted topics by simply reducing the number of topics, all of the quizzes, resources, etc. still appear in the Activities block.
Cathy
In reply to Lisa Frary

by Steve Hyndman -

Lisa,

I don't think you can delete topics...you delete the contents of a topic, then move it to the bottom and set the number of topics so the empty topic(s) don't show.

Steve

by cdx cdx -

hi all,

i think we need to ask why can't we delete or move topics?  why are topics different from every other database resource in Moodle?

many people have expressed a need/requirement to move and delete topics.  should this be put into the bug tracker as a functionality requirement?  i know it is a key requirement for our organization.  we find that as we develop courses they evolve and a new topic may need to be inserted between two existing topics.  this cannot be done today. as a work around we end up putting the new chapters, our courses break down into lessons and chapters, into an existing chapter's topic which confuses students and breaks the pedagogical clarity of the course design. 

if a topic is just a database element why the rigidity and can it be programmed to to have the same functionality as all other moodle database elements?

craig

In reply to cdx cdx

by Bob Puffer -
I am in complete agreement.  This is an irritating issue with many of our faculty and they look at me funny when I tell them Moodle is easier to use than Blackboard.  If you peruse the enormous number of steps required to make a topic unavailable (described in several postings above), especially if the topic is near the top and there are many topics in your course, one might think the need to be able to delete (and insert) topics would be manifest.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by A. T. Wyatt -

I have to agree.  I would also support designing a way to RE-ORDER your topics easily.  Instead of the arrow to move up and down by increments of 1, what if you could simply select the number representing the desired position from a drop-down box?  It would be much easier and faster to re-order topics. 

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Timothy Takemoto -

I agree that the ability to delete topics or weeks would be nice, I guess it is not all that easy. Perhaps the problem becomes one of deciding what do do with the resources and activities that are left orphaned.

In the meantime, I recommend that you try Audun Hauge's wonderful javascript Layout Editor. This allows you to drop unwanted topics to the bottom, and also to delete all the activities in such topics using drag and drop.

I think it is very that someone would be happy to program the delete topic feature for a lot less than the yearly cost of Blackboard.

Tim

In reply to cdx cdx

by Steven Geggie -

I agree with many of the other comments concerning the need to make it very easy to insert/move/delete topics.   We should assume that all courses will change over time and it it would be an enourmous amount of work to try to insert a new topic towards the top of the page (assuming that you have 16 or more topics already in place).

I think this should be addressed in a future release.

by cdx cdx -
i have posted this as a "significant problem" in the bug tracker.

Bug #4001 - cannot move, insert, delete topics

craig
In reply to cdx cdx

by cdx cdx -
i think it would help the developers to focus on this issue if you all vote for this via "bug #4001" .

thx
In reply to cdx cdx

by Lisa Frary -

Absolutely!  The "Topics" should be as easy to move around as the "resources" are now.  I enjoy manipulating those: you can move them anywhere in just a few clicks, or indent them, delete them, etc.  However, the "Topics" are completely different: but much more important in most courses.

Thanks for all the helpful hints and tips!

- Lisa

In reply to Lisa Frary

by cdx cdx -
Somehow we need to get other people to feel the same way and vote for the bug otherwise I don't think anything will get changed.

craig
In reply to cdx cdx

by Bryce Thornton -
We have implemented this in our version of Moodle.  We are willing to give the code to the core Moodle project, but aren't sure exactly how to do that.  Anybody know what the best way is to submit code?

Thanks,
Bryce
In reply to Bryce Thornton

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would add a feature request through bugs.moodle.org and then include the code there for consideration. I think that is the best way to get the code looked at. Alternatively, you can attach a zip file in the forum and ask for users to evaluate/test the code - if you decide to post the code to the forum it is important to let folks know for what version of Moodle the code was written to work with.