Cluster in the lesson

Cluster in the lesson

by Sylvia Maciaszczyk -
Number of replies: 9
Does anyone know how cluster in the lesson works? 
What can I use it for?  What are the advantages?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sylvia Maciaszczyk

Re: Cluster in the lesson

by Mark Nielsen -
oh oh, I do! big grin

Welcome to Cluster 101.

So, lets layout a lesson that has a cluster:

Beginning of Lesson...
Cluster Page
Page A
Page B
Page C
End of Cluster
Rest of Lesson...

Now, set all jump values for Pages A-C to "Unseen question within a cluster"

When a student takes this lesson, s/he will see the Beginning of Lesson, and then see Pages A-C in random order and then see the Rest of Lesson.

Note:  Not all jumps have to be set to "Unseen question within a cluster."  For example: You may want a student to keep answering random questions until s/he finally gets one right.  To do this, set all wrong answers to jump to "Unseen question within a cluster" and all correct answers to End of Cluster or whichever page you like.

Lets make things more complicated evil

Beginning of Lesson...
Cluster Page
Page A
Page B
Branch Table
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
End of Branch
Page C
End of Cluster
Rest of Lesson...

I have added a Branch Table, Pages 1-3, and an End of Branch.  All of the jumps on the pages are set up in the same fashion as in the previous example.  Now when a student take this lesson, s/he will see the Beginning of Lesson, Pages A-C and Page 1, 2, OR 3 all in random order, and lastly Rest of Lesson.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by R Reimer -

So, (struggling to grasp value of 'Cluster') mixed a cluster allows students to experience a topic from several different angles? Questions posed there might all be on the same objective(s)? By working through a topic via a series of clusters, students would have some 'randomness' and an opportunity to grow their "conceptual maps"? Lastly, repeating a lesson might help move students from rote learning to forming conceptual frameworks?

In reply to R Reimer

by Michael Penney -
Sure, the cluster code was written to enable simple simulations with variable (random) branching. So you have 3 different scenarios and you can point a student down each branch by linking from a page in a cluster. It also provides for random questions in a similar (if more clumsy) fashion to random question from a category does for quiz.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Rick Barnes -

Is it possible to set up a cluster that give pupils random questions until they have managed to answer them all correctly. This would force pupils to work more independently of pupils that they sit next to in class but would make sure that they covered all of the points in a lessson. I can see the value of your previous suggestions but at the moment I do not have time to create several questions for each part of the lesson.

Rick.

In reply to Rick Barnes

by Michael Penney -

Is it possible to set up a cluster that give pupils random questions until they have managed to answer them all correctly.

Yep, use random unseen within a cluster for your jumps from the correct (and/or incorrect) answers.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by Rick Barnes -

Thanks, I couldn't tell if it would do that or just show them unseen pages untill they had seen every page in the cluster. Sounds perfect for time when I want pupils to work on their own.

Rick.

In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Mark,

I need your help.

I tried the methodology shown above.

Whenever I try to check navigation or enter as a student into the lesson I come out of the lesson. Can you advise what I should check to test out Cluster creation snd its navigation.thoughtful

Thanks In Advance.

Garry

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

by Scot Wilcoxon -
I know it's too late for you, but for future readers I'll suggest that they try telling all the questions to Jump to the beginning of the cluster. My clusters were behaving oddly until I tried that.

I think the cluster code requires restarting the cluster code after each question, and that only seems to happen when a Jump is done to the start of the cluster. Jumping to the End of Branch or End of Cluster doesn't seem to work -- those bits of code aren't smart enough to restart the cluster (they're smart enough to whine that the required number of questions have not been answered, but not smart enough to get more questions).