Echo-assignment and 1.5?

In reply to Jaroslav Šeděnka

Re: Newassignment for 1.5 -- coming soon

by Darren Smith -
At a quick skim with the latest version:

Upgrade went very smoothly
I like the unsubmitted links
Interesting that the avatar displays who uploaded the feedback as well as who wrote the marking comments.

How do I view the history of student uploaded files?
In reply to Darren Smith

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
First, you have to enable resubmitting (without overwriting) in the newassignment configuration -- this is a new option! After that, if a student submits multiple files, a new link appears as shown on the screenshot.

by Dawn Wright -

I installed the latest version of new assignment from your most recent post. The install showed a couple of errors due to preexisting columns in some tables but proceeded to conclusion. When I try to see assignments that were made using newassignment in existing courses in version 1.4, I get the following error message:

Warning: main(D:\MoodleDEV\MoodleDEV Sites\graduate/mod/assignment/type//assignment.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\MoodleDEV\MoodleDEV Sites\graduate\mod\assignment\view.php on line 40

I created an assignment but do not get an option for the students to submit more than one file; submitting a second replaces the first.

thanks dawn

by Dawn Wright -
With the 3 Aug latest newassignment installed, I don't see "new assignment" in the configuration screen: I do see "echo-assignment" but no option to allow multiple files.
In reply to Dawn Wright

by Darren Smith -
I don't think you can allow multiple student submissions - only multiple teacher submissions.

You could turn on the option mentioned today which 'remembers' all previous uploads a student makes. It would look like the file has been overwritten from the students point of view (i would imagine) but the teacher could get to them.

It would be nice to have an option to specify how many uploads a student can make (up to unlimited).

Would this be a big task? The code is pretty much there to do this already isn't it?
In reply to Darren Smith

by Dawn Wright -

How do you turn that option on? I didn't see it anywhere in the configuration/settings screen on either assignment or echo assighment. 

On the Assignment/Upload & Review settings screen there is this:

"This assignment type allows the students to upload multiple files of any type. " 

But I don't see anyway to enable it.

dawn

In reply to Dawn Wright

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
The newassignment/echo-assignment is a standalone module, which has its own configuration.

The upload & review is (as I think) a plugin from contrib simmilar to newassignment, but it doesn't allow multiple submissions as well as some other features.

by Dawn Wright -

OK, now I see. I need to use the "echo" assignment to create assignments going forward to allow uploading multiple files (something we need). I get all the functionality you described using echoblush

So I need to look for an update to the "upload & review" mod to try to solve my missing assignments problem.

Thanks

In reply to Darren Smith

by Dawn Wright -

Did the assignments created in the 1.4 Moodle version come up when you upgraded to 1.5.2?  Every assignment I created in 1.4 (that had new assignment installed) is missing in every course (100 plus) in 1.5.2, with or without new assignment installed.

Did you add the newassignment mod before or after you upgraded to 1.5.2?

In reply to Dawn Wright

by Dawn Wright -

I need to correct myself. I just found one assignment in a course - one that was set accidently for "upload single file" instead of "upload and review."  Unfortunately, this one did not have a student submission.

In reply to Dawn Wright

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
It seems that the newassignment module installation did not finish, due to the database errors. Try to uninstall the newassignment module from your 1.5.2 installation, restore tables mdl_newassignment and mdl_newassignment_submissions from backup (before you tried to instlall the newassignment in 1.5 -- you have the backup, right?) and reinstall the module -- it could help.

by Dawn Wright -

Yes I have the backup; I'm working on a development copy of Moodle and my database. But I think my upgrade problem is due to my needing to add the 'upload and review" mod two. I forgot that I had added both upload and review and new assignment to my 1.4 Moodle. Should have read my notes rather than trust memory.blush 

thanks

by Jason Edwards -

Hello,

I upgraded successfully from 1.4.4 to 1.5.3. Echo-assignments were not appearing. I downloaded the newest version from your site (1.5) and installed. No database errors were encountered when installing the new version of echo assignment 1.5. I can see the assignments, but the student submissions do not appear for any assignments created with 1.4.4. New assignments created with the 1.5 version do show submissions. Any idea why the older submissions from 1.4.4. do not show?

Thanks

Jason

In reply to Jason Edwards

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
There were more echo-assingnment versions for 1.4 and upgrade to the 1.5 version was tested only with the latest one. Maybe upgrading to the latest echo-assignment in Moodle 1.4 and going to 1.5 afterwards could solve your problem.

by Deon Metelski -
Hi Jaroslav,

I was just looking at new assignement again. I haven't looked at it since the original version. I liked the interface for the student to view their file and the teacher's multiple feedback files if neccessary. As I was looking at it and trying to figure out the best way for it's use in a classroom. It looks like it could be used as a nice project module. If the functionality was switched or added where the student could also upload multiple files without them overwriting them I think it would show not only the final product but also the process of getting to that final product. Curricular process examples are the writing process, scientific method, and a research project for a subject. The only additional item that would enhance this added feature is the ability to collaborate with students/groups specified by the student. Other students could download work and add their comments. Kind of like a work area with teacher feedback.

How difficult is this to achieve do you think?
  • allow students to also upload multiple files.
  • allow students to specify from a course list, students that can view  the files and then upload there own to the workspace.
  • teacher functionality stays the same with ability to view all files in the workspace timemarked and labeled with username. (The same way that the teacher view.php displays the teacher info)
Comment and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks for all your work,
Deon
In reply to Deon Metelski

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
Sorry for responding so late, I moved to another department at our university so I don't spend almost any time with Moodle now. In the current version of Echo-assignment, there is only one database entry for each student's submission, so you would need to rewrite uploading code and change the database schema to make it work.

Unfortunately I'll most likely don't have time to do the things you mentioned, but it should not be a big problem for an experienced Moodle developer. However, I could offer a little help smile

Have you tried setting groups to "separate groups" and allowing students to view each others submissions? That could solve part of your collaboration problem.

Good luck with Moodle,
Yours Jaroslav

by Mawuli Kuivi -
I think it might be nice to display the files the way the teacher's files are display instead showing one and giving the total number of file beside.

Also, can the student delete a file after they find out that they do not want thet file?
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
1) This is easy to implement, but doesn't suite our needs. I might help you with
writing the patch, but I'll certainly not write it myself (no time wink )

2) Students can't delete their files, they can only be overwritten when resubmit is set so. We're not going to implement that, as students can always upload the file once more. However, teachers can delete their reviews.

by Roland Gesthuizen -

An option to add a resource link to a website / uploaded document might be a more efficient way of presenting feedback than just attaching files to each student comment. Just a thought ..

Where students can upload multiple documents / versions, I presume that they will retain a housekeeping 'X' option to delete incorrect files?

In reply to Roland Gesthuizen

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
Adding a link/resource is a great idea! However, you can always write a link into the comment for now...

Deleting students' files is unavaiable for more reasons, one of them is that students can often view their coursemates assignments and we don't want them to copy it.