Crossword puzzle

Re: Crossword puzzle - sudoku

by Miles Berry -
Number of replies: 10
Don't know about crossword puzzles, but I've managed to produce Sudoku puzzles as multiple choice cloze questions. Once you have the puzzle and its solution, most of the work is done in a spreadsheet using search and replace to swap the known missing numbers for the appropriate {1:MULTICHOICE:1~2~3~4=5~6~7~8~9} or whatever string.
I don't think moodle likes the whole a-z range though, so I doubt this would work for a crossword.
I've attached the HTML for one of the puzzles, which you can copy and paste into the edit question dialogue in HTML source mode.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Drew Buddie -
Too much time on your hands Miles smile  Seriously though, "I'M NOT WORTHY" thanks for making this available.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Drew Buddie -

Miles,

Just used that code you posted - AWESOME!!!! I can see this alone could endear Moodle to my Sudoku addicts at school!!!!!!  And the way it marks the answers given. Fantastic.

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Miles Berry -
Thanks Drew.
Attached is the spreadsheet I use to generate them. When / if I have more time I'll write the macros to automate the few manual steps required, but for the time being:
  • the starting grid numbers go in b2:j10;
  • the finished grid goes in b12:j20;
  • run search and replace on b12:j20 to swap 1 for {1:MULTICHOICE:=1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9}, swap 2 for {1:MULTICHOICE:1~=2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9}, etc, making sure you have "Match entire cell" selected, nb the attached spreadsheet is what you get after this search and replace business;
  • copy cells m45:m81 into your moodle quiz as a cloze question using the html editor in source mode;
  • sometimes there's a little finessing needed to make the columns look right, just add a few width="33%" bits into the appropriate <td> tags if one column looks a lot thinner than the others;
  • er...
  • that's it.
Enjoy smile
In reply to Miles Berry

by Drew Buddie -

Miles,

Every day I love that Sudoku advice you gave us more.  I have set up a project for 15 so-called "Gifted and Talented" students throughout the holidays (we broke up yesterday!tongueout ). I am using your Sudoku 'routine' to create ones of my own, giving them one a week to try, along with a plethors of other activities.  I am SO SO SO grateful to you for making this available to us as even a technical klutz like me can follow your instructions, and importantly, make it WORK!!!  This is taking MOODLE into exciting, unchartered waters for me as I have used that Sudoku to show the potential of auto-marking to my colleagues, and the LOVE  it!!!!  I have a school inspection 4 weeks into next term and I cannot wait to see their reaction to my site.  Thanks again.  Incidentally, does anyone else have useful little routine like the Sudoku one that can be used in Moodle?

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Miles Berry -
Hi Drew,
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
I've ran into problems with it here when there are more than 50 missing numbers - I'd be interested to know if your experience is the same.
Also, and many would consider this cheating, you may like to experiment with the sudoku 'helper' spreadsheet, available for download from http://www.occeane.co.uk/sudoku%20helper.xls
Enjoy your summer holiday.
Miles.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Simon Bryan -
Have attached copy of your spreadhseet with a Macro recorded to deal with the Search and Destroy mission.
In reply to Simon Bryan

by Lionel Redelinghuys -
Hey guys

I found someone who's doing crosswords in moodle using hot potatoes. I'm just not sure how they compile the crossword though.

Have a look at this: http://moodledemo.swanseagfl.gov.uk/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=2376

Very interesting!!!
In reply to Lionel Redelinghuys

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I love doing crosswords in hotpotatoes in Moodle - especially as you can add images and sound and vision to make them more appealing to your younger students (or even your less young students) Just download the program from http://hotpot.uvic.ca/ - (though you need a licence if it goes on a Moodle)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marc Grober -
My experience with using hot potatoes to create crosswords is it quickly hangs if you try to create a crossword with any kind of density.....

And whether one needs a license (see http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/hot_pot_licence.php) does not appear to turn on whether one wishes to place the resulting work in a Moodle............

In reply to Marc Grober

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well I figured if you put it in a password protected VLE like Moodle then that doesn't count as 'making it freely available through the www'(one of the requirements of getting it free..) hence you'd need a licence. I know there was some discussion of this a while ago.