Alternative to Hot potatoes softwareo

Alternative to Hot potatoes softwareo

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Number of replies: 11
I would like to include a couple of crosswords and multiple choice, true/false quizzes on my site. I have looked at the quiz mdule but cannot figure out how I could use this so the results are not graded - theya re just for students to test their knowledge.

I know the Hot Potatoes software would meet this need but we are not a non-profit organization and are only very small at the moment. Is there an alternative that anyone knows of that I can use with this module or another module, to provide ungraded quizzes to test student knowledge?

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: Alternative to Hot potatoes software

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Nikki,

if you don't want to record the results of a Hot Potatoes quiz, or any other kind of quiz, you could add it to the Moodle course as a "resource", instead of a HotPot activity. Moodle would then treat it as just another webpage and the "results" of the quiz, if there were any, would never leave the student's browser.

I'm afraid I can't suggest any alternatives to Hot Potatoes, because I haven't come across anything which is even half as good. I think it is far and away the best piece of software in its field. I think the same about Moodle too - of course smile

all the best
Gordon

Re: Alternative to Hot potatoes softwareo

by Mark Stevens -
Nikki,

The lesson module has practice lessons which do not appear in the gradebook.  It also has multiple choice and true/false capabilities.

You can also set the quiz grade to 1 point (maybe less?) and allow students to retake the quiz which would have very little impact on their overall grades.

There is also a Microsoft word template available to help you make quizzes easily.  It's available here, and a help manual for the template is available here.

Best regards,
Mark
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Herman van Keulen -

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for the Microsoft links!

Regards,

Herman

In reply to Mark Stevens

by Herman van Keulen -

Hello Mark,

I'm trying to make a quiz with the Word template: I get a Visual Basic error an I see in my word document the next line

// Start of question: TrueStatement

Do you recognize this error/line?

Herman

In reply to Herman van Keulen

by ss ss -
Me too.
I'm using word 2003, it seems didn't work!

by Bob Boufford -

Niki,

For crosswords, check out Eclipse Crossword, http://www.greeneclipsesoftware.com/eclipsecrossword/ . Unlike JCross, you can save the crosswords in multiple formats: Javascript, Java, static HTML, Word docs. And the price is right, free!

For ungraded quizzes and similar interactivities, check out StudyMate by Respondus (http://www.respondus.com/products/studymate.shtml). It generates about 10 different Flash-based assessment-type learning activities including a SCORM-compliant quiz. While the initial cost is $79 USD, it does come with a full 30-day trial to see if it will meet your needs. I haven't tested the SCORM-compliant quiz, but all the other activities work without problem in Moodle when you save the activities as "HTML+SWF".

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by roger platt -

Dear Bob

Which activity do I put a Studymate Quiz into?

Cheer

Roger Platt

In reply to Bob Boufford

by Christophe Leville -
Hi!
I tried to include a webpage from Eclipse Crossword in moodle but it didn´t work. I choosed "compose a web page", copied the source-code in the editor (in html-modus) but at the end, I don´t get much of the page.
I also tried the option "link to a file, but then I get only the page but without the moodle-environment.
How am I supposed to proceed?

thanks
In reply to Christophe Leville

by Christophe Leville -
ok, just found the answer I guess: I made a link to the web-page and checked the option to have the moodle´s fram included. It was unchecked per default.

by Gary Child -
try www.quia.com

you can make stand alone random quizes and activities

Subscription is required but it is minimal

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.