Clouds v3.0

Clouds v3.0

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 119

Sorry to all who have been asking for the delay, a bad rollout of a project has sent me way behind.

ScreencapBut without further excuses, I am proud to present the latest of my clouds themes. This one has a few major updates to the last

• CSS code severely cleaned up and now meets the 1.5 release standard
  • The two themes (one for fixed and the other at 100% width now share the same css using 1.5 theming options
  • All icons in Moodle are now replaced as part of the theme rather than by physically replacing existing files. To turn this feature off just edit the config file in the theme.
  • Flash file now added for the top right hand side of the homepage header. This has not been fully implemented (will in 3.5) but any budding flash users can edit the attached FLA I have included.
  • Header changes to a smaller version when not on the homepage to maximise usable space.
  • Photoshop template file included for changing the default header logo.
  • A favicon has been included of a blackboard logo for those who wish to use it.

As always look at my site to see the theme in action:
        http://montenet.monte.nsw.edu.au/

Why include a flash file?? This has been included so that those whop wish to use the header as advertising/notifications can do so. i plan to have a demo of this feature in 2-3 weeks.

Download by clicking here

As always bugs/issues/suggestions are always welcomed.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Clouds v3.0

by Ger Tielemans -

Nice website: I saw that you use the option to echo the status of the user with an icon under the userimage. Is this tstndard or did you patch this. (In that case: please, how?)

By the way, the bottom line of your page was telling this:

Warning: Unknown(): open(/home/Moodle/moodledata/sessions/sess_da8e67f150299e0f04dda42b5ac93cfc, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/Moodle/moodledata/sessions) in Unknown on line 0

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Julian Ridden -

hi Ger

Can I get you to check again. I fixed the issue. My sessions directory did not have proper access rights (woops) smile

as for your other question. I am confused as too your meaning. If you are refering to the main menu on the left it is Michael P's "course_menu" block.

by W Page -

Hi Julian!

Very nice!

I think Ger is referring to the - Student / Teacher / Admin - Icons/Avatars below a members Avatar.  I was just about to post a question to you about that myself, when I saw Ger had already done so.  Please share the code about how you did that.  Looks really good.

Also, I want to say that the layout of the homepage and the features provided to the students are well presented.  The page looks "tight".  If I was a student and went to your page, it would be clear what to do and how to access the functions I needed.  Very clear.  Very intuitive.

I will be periodically asking you how you did some things.  I hope you don't mind. smile.

You may want to consider removing the link to create an account since it appears that one cannot create an account at the site and replacing it with the Password retrieval link in the Login Block.

BTW, what email program are you using?

Really, really nice work.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Julian Ridden -

Ahh, now I know what you meant. Actually those user level images were easy and really a bit of a cheat.

i justr created two groups. One for Admins and the other for teachers and added users to the correct group.

In 1.5 you can now add images to defined groups..and wala...there you have it.

P.S. I am no moodle expert (notice the lack of a moodle logo under my name to prove it) but I am more than happy to help out where i can.

by Will Muenchow -
First, great theme! One of the best i've ever seen. Next, the download link does not seem to be working? Looking forward to downloading v3.0 and trying it out!
In reply to Will Muenchow

by Julian Ridden -
my appolgiers. Download link has been fixed

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Julian, (or should I call you Darth smile) ,

I wanted to download your cool theme but the link does not appear to be working.

Josep M.

by Tony Parke -

Hi Julian,

I like the way you have got the My Courses block structured. I would be very grateful if you have a zip file of the courses folder so I can see how you have achieved this.

Regards,
Tony

In reply to Tony Parke

by Julian Whitehead -

I've been playing with the excellent Clouds theme - very nice.

I am a bit of a css novice, but the if titles are more than one line long then the text looks quite squashed. Is there something I can quickly change to correct this?

It all looks readable, but it would just be nice to increase the amount of space.

Ta

Attachment screenshot.jpg
In reply to Julian Whitehead

by Simon Clegg -

Hi Julian,

You need to set the line-height of your heading to a suitable value:

h1 {
line-height:35px;
}

For example.

Simon

by Simon Bryan -
Julian,
Just saw this post and recognised the URL! Just shows Mercy schools think alike, we have also migrated from AUC to Moodle. Love your theme and graphics, did you design the inpage graphics or do they come from an external source? Would love to use something similar.
We have moved our site behind the login screen for privacy reasons as we wanted to have upcoming events and other notices on the front page.
Would love to talk to you about your Moodle endeavours sometime soon.
Simon at Mercy Parramatta - website http://www.olmc.nsw.edu.au and Moodle at http://kirk.olmc.nsw.edu.au
In reply to Simon Bryan

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Simon,

The graphics/design were all done by myself. You know mercy schools, never any money around when you want it smile

Would love a chance to get together and share ideas. Feel free to call anytime on 9409 6283 and hopefully we can tee up a time to meet.

by Ernesto A. Galvis L. -

Hi Julian Nice theme!!!

i have a little observation about the fixedwidth version. its width is fixed at 800px and this is a little trouble in clients with 800x600 screen resolution. i think is better fixed at 740px. i did it and works great.

In reply to Ernesto A. Galvis L.

by Julian Ridden -
thanks for the rather obvious feedback. :P

Download link has been updated with this change
In reply to Ernesto A. Galvis L.

by tm tm -

hi julian

first of all thanks for the beautiful theme.

i just want to know that how can i fix the width of the middle frame where all the resources of the course are being showed in course view page because when sometimes with big contents the horizintal scroll comes and blank space comes on the right side in header. see the pic atatched plz.

by Robert Barone -

I've been practising the theme out on a few students and they have had some problems locating, identifying the log-in. These are for the most part older students with little computer savvy. However, they may be right in saying that it's hard to see. Some of the other themes put it in a more obvious top right or center position, but that would interfere with the graphics. Is there a way to make it a bit bigger, more easily findable? Have tried myself to change font size but can't seem to do it. The other point that comes up is the size of the icons. Are they smaller than the old ones? Or should I suggest stronger glasses? Thanks for the theme, these are the only "negative" things encountered so far.

In reply to Robert Barone

by Mark Mead -

I have a couple quick questions about Clouds, if you have a second.

I've successfully changed the PSD to my course logo and it looks great on the Clouds theme.  The Header is awesome.  However, I've noticed that there is another jpg that needs my logo too.  Are you using the PSD to make the other logo or changing the jpg?  Are you using Photoshop or Fireworks to change it?

Also, and this is strange, I imported the Whole Screen theme into my themes folder.  Everything looks good but, strangely, the button pictures don't seem to be working.  However, they do seem to be in the folder.  Any ideas?

M

In reply to Robert Barone

by Julian Ridden -
The theme is designed to use the login block on the homepage.

You can change the size of the login text by editing the styles_fonts.css file in the wholewidth theme folder.

Just look for the tag

.logininfo,
#header-home .headermenu font {
font-size:0.8em;
}

And change the font-size to a greater number.

Let me know how you go.

by T.C. Judd -
Great theme that was a snap to customize and implement.  Two small required changes I noticed the need for this morning.

1.  In header.html there are three instances of where you call header2.swf from http://www.monte.nsw.edu.au/~Moodle instead of the local installation (i.e., <?php echo "$CFG->wwwroot/theme/$CFG->theme" ?>/header2.swf

2.  In footer.html the Moodle logo gif is called from the same location and requires a similar change.

I assume these are merely oversights and not part of the future mentioned functionality of the flash file on the right side of the header.  In fact, I never would have noticed them had your server at the above address been on the fritz this morning big grin.

Thanks again for a great theme!
In reply to T.C. Judd

by Will Muenchow -

Did you happen to find where to customize to make the borders that surround each week or topic bigger?  For instance, the active week has a nice big yellow border, but all other weeks have a small blue border. Do you happen to know where to change to make that little blue border bigger?

by Julian Ridden -
I havent had time to test this. But in styles_layout.css look for the following:

#course-view .section .content {
padding:5px;
border-style:solid;
border-width:1px;
border-left:0px;
border-right:0px;
}

Change border width to whatever width you would like it to be.

If this doesnt work for you , just let me know.

by Will Muenchow -
First, again, GREAT THEME!

I've found the part above but still can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I've taken a snapshot. In this snapshot, the active week has a seperate color from the non active weeks and a student can see this because the active week has a thick insdie border (where is says 4). What i'm looking for is what you did in V2.0 of Clouds. I want this type of border (but blue) for the rest of the non active weeks. Its this I can't seem to find in your styles. The part you listed above will change the border around all weeks, but will not do anything about the border I'm looking to thicken. Where it needs to be thicken it is white, as you can see below. Does that help?

SnapShot

In reply to T.C. Judd

by Julian Ridden -
thanks for pointing that out. The download link has been updated to no longer include these issues.

by Shane Tooley -

I might have found another bug.

When I add a link to our school website www.forestlakecollege.com.au in the main menu I get an audio icon rather than a website icon. Links to other addresses work well.

Does anyone know what's going on? I'm using the Clouds theme, however I'm using the new nuvola iconset.

In reply to Shane Tooley

by Julian Ridden -
This is not an issue with the theme but rather a bug with the filters.

The icons are generated based on extensions. And scince your website ends in .au Moodle thinks you are linking to an audio file.

Simple soltion is to add a trailing slash at the end of your url. Once that is done the correct icon will show.

by Julian Ridden -
A bunch of changes as listed below in this thread have been implemented and are now available via the link above.

Sorry for the delays in getting this to you all. It has been a very hectic month.

by Alexander Kuo -
First, a wonderful theme! I have changed my site's theme from "Wood" to Cloud 3.0. Thanks for your sharing!
    Actually, I have some problems when using this theme. First, there is always an error message in my httpd-error.log, which reads [Tue Jul 12 23:30:55 2005] [error] [client 59.113.179.189] File does not exist: /usr/local/www/data/moodle/theme/cloud3/images/bg.gif
Any suggestion?
    Second, when I want to edit a glossary entry or to post a new message in a forum, I always get empty text editor body. That is, anytime using HTML editor, I get empty editor even though I have typed some words. But, if I hit the button "Enlarge Editor", everything works well! What's wrong?
My moodle version: 1.5.1 OS:Win XP SP2 Browser: IE 6.0
In reply to Alexander Kuo

by Julian Ridden -
I have an answer to one of your two issues.

The error you are getting is due to erroneous code in the theme header.

Line 11 reads

<code> <body background="<?php echo "$CFG->wwwroot/theme/$CFG->theme/images/bg.gif" ?>" <?php </code>

Just change this to

<code><body  <?php   </code>

As for your second issue. I have not experienced it nor do I know how the theme would impat on this. Anyone else able to assist here?

by Will Muenchow -

Any idea on my border question?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Will!
To change the side border of non-active weeks/topics to e.g. pale blue, you'll have to modify styles_color.css towards line 390 (add a background-color property):

#course-view .section .side {
background-color:#BDDEFF;
}
color #BDDEFF =

Joseph

by g k -
There is something about the clouds theme that is preventing the site policy agreement from appearing. Any ideas?
In reply to g k

by Patrick Chonaiew -
I am experiencing the same problem.  I just moved to the clouds theme from FW, my site policy worked before the switch and now the site policy file does not appear, just the prompt to agree and the buttons.  I'm running 1.5.4.  I know just enough code to get myself into trouble(definetly not an expert) and nothing jumps off the screen at me.  Anyone have any suggestions?  By the way, great themes, very nice work!  Keep up the good work! 

Re: Clouds v3.0 (1.5.2 trouble?)

by Kent Bergstrom -
Hi,
First off let me chime in with "What a beautiful theme!!"
I'm curious if there is something I'm missing with the base installation of this theme in 1.5.2 Moodle.
In the past I have copied the file over to /moodle/theme/   folder at the server side and go to configuration in the themes section to get started.
When I do this although through FTP I know the folder is in there it will not show up in the configuration section of themes.

Is there something I'm messing up with here or is this theme a bit more involved then that?

Kent
In reply to Kent Bergstrom

Re: Clouds v3.0 (1.5.2 trouble?)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kent,
The Clouds v3.zip file which you can download from Julian's site contains a number of sub-folders. If e.g. you want to use the WholeScreen version of Clouds 3.0 on a Windows system, you'll have to unzip Clouds v3.zip->Clouds v3.0->WholeScreen and put that WholeScreen folder inside your Moodle/theme/ folder.
For convenience's sake you might want to re-name the WholeScreen folder as Clouds 3.0, but this is not necessary.
Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Julian,
Many thanks for making your Clouds theme available. I like its clarity and no-fuss formattingsmile. I have a few remarks/suggestions.
  1. Your use of .r0 & .r1 background-colors to make alternate rows of tables more visible is a very good idea. There is, however, one case where the resulting display is not so happy, namely in the Glossary tabs. May I suggest the following change in styles_color.css:
    #mod-glossary-view .r1 {
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    }
    see screen capture, part A
  2. On the whole, the font-size is OK, but a bit small in some places. One real problem with the way font-sizes are organized in the new Moodle 1.5 themes is that there is (in my opinion) way too much difference between the larger font-sizes, the medium ones and the smaller ones. One workaround, which you have chosen, is to reduce the overall body font-size to 95%. This works well, but I feel that the font-size in some sections should be increased a bit.
  3. Most of the icons are OK, but those icons which appear in edit mode are really tiny and in a light-blue color which makes them really difficult to see for ageing, long-sighted users like myself.sad (see screen capture, part B)
Thanks again,

Joseph
Attachment Image2.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Julian Ridden -
Thanks for all that feedback. I am glad you are liking the theme.

Addressing your concerns.

Alternate rows I have found to be instrumental in helping identify new rows of data. Especialy when viewing grades and the like. I am unaware how to make Tabs not work this way just through CSS as it refers to that info. I will look in to disabling this.

The logos were designed to be unobtrusive. And because of that can be hard to see. When I have the time I will update them as your point is valid. Sadly I am not exactly sure when that will be.

by Chad Outten -

Hi Julian,

bravo with the theme & thx for sharing your .css genius! ive had a look @ montenet & must say you've given us something to aspire to! i very much like your 'portal' concept for accessing resources, services throughout the school..vry nice indeed 

2 queries wrt your work on main pg of montenet..

1. how did you create the 'folder structure' view for categories, courses?
  2. how did you customise the blocks to display new titles & include images etc?

much appreciated, chad big grin

In reply to Chad Outten

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Chad,

Thanks for the comments. To answer your questions.
1. I didnt make it. It was part of the development for FN_Moodle. I however isolated this block as I thought it was a great addition. I have attached it to this post.

2. I have made many custom blocks for my site. The simplest way of doing this however is by creating a HTML block. using that you can put in whatever text or images you like.

by Chad Outten -

ok brilliant Julian, thanks a million! ive extracted contents of 'My Courses.zip' to Moodle 'block' directory and copied 'Block_FN_My_Courses.php' to Moodle 'lang\en' directory. Still no joy wrt desired 'folder' structure for categories, courses on main page of site. When i go to admin page, error reads:

Warning: main(D:\Data\WWW\Moodle/course/format/FN/lib.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\Data\WWW\Moodle\blocks\FN_my_courses\block_FN_my_courses.php on line 4

Fatal error: main() [
function.require]: Failed opening required 'D:\Data\WWW\Moodle/course/format/FN/lib.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in D:\Data\WWW\Moodle\blocks\FN_my_courses\block_FN_my_courses.php on line 4

Have i missed something? Cheers, Chad big grin

In reply to Chad Outten

by Simon Billington -
I too get this error Chad.  I looked at line 4 in the "block_FN_my_courses.php" file and it refers to: "require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/course/format/FN/lib.php');" - I checked my moodle install (1.5.3) and I do not have this file in this path.  I think this is the issue.  Hopefully Julian can confirm this.  Should this file be installed as part of the block Julian?

Thanks  Simon
In reply to Simon Billington

by Julian Ridden -
Sorry for the delay. Somehow I missed your post Chad.

Anyhow, attached is the FN course format.

by Simon Billington -
Thanks Julian

Working perfectly now - an excellent block!

Regards
Simon
In reply to Simon Billington

by Chris Fry -

Simon

I have been trying to get the MYCOURSE clock to work... but I keep getting script errors. And when I downloaded it from FNMOODLE ... I get a PERL error....can you help me with installation?>

by Mark Little -
Excellent Block....

How do you change the link at the bottom of the block, because at the moment it goes to your site.

Thanks
In reply to Mark Little

by Edward Goytia -

I'm just someone who started using this today but found the same problem. To fix the issue I edited the "blocks\FN_my_courses\HTML_TreeMenu-1.2.0\TreeMenu.php" file (I just used the default directories from the zip). Search for the web address of the link (I searched for "montenet.monte") and then edit the line with your own site. The finished line should look something like this:

$html .= "\n// ]]>\n</script><center><a href=\"http://yoursite.com/course\">Enroll in another course</a></center>";

I also elected to change the misspelling of "Enroll".
That should link to your own internal set of courses.

I hope this helps.
-E

by Andy Hawkins -

Julian

Thanks for posting this block and associated course format. (and the theme -but see below).

Questions:

1 - No errors on installation - but when adding block to a course - only shows 'enrol in another course' with hardwired link to somewhere in your website. The courses tree menu only seems to show on front page - is that intentional? I see there is already a fix for the hardwired link - but it would be good to have the tree menu in all instances of block, not just on the front page. Perhaps we are doing something wrong.

2 - Tried your website to download theme (and look at playpen)  - no joy today - just got 'action cancelled '- 'no page to display' (IE6). Hope you are not having problems. (Moodle itself OK). Will try again tomorrow from work.

3 - Is there a way to avoid the FN course type appearing when creating a new course - if we only need it for compatibility with the my courses block?  I would like to minimise confusion for teachers.

TIA

Andy

In reply to Andy Hawkins

by Andy Hawkins -

Some further info ....

Putting the FN 'my courses' block into a course gives a '!script error' in the status bar of the browser (IE6) whether as student, teacher or admin.

With debug on (from site variables) get the following, repeated for each course, then followed by the correct block on front page, whether or not logged in, except that as admin the error does not occur for some reason - perhaps because admin is not in many courses.

Table 'moodle.mdl_course_marker_fn' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM mdl_course_marker_FN WHERE courseid = '2' AND userid = ''

SELECT * FROM mdl_course_marker_FN WHERE courseid = '3' AND userid = ''

SELECT * FROM mdl_course_marker_FN WHERE courseid = '4' AND userid = ''

SELECT * FROM mdl_course_marker_FN WHERE courseid = '11' AND userid = ''

Looks like a table is missing. The mysql.sql file in the downloaded mycourses.zip was 0 length - no code. (several attempts)

The table seems to be referred to in the lib.php called from line 4 of block_FN_my_courses.php. At approx line 536 of lib.php - but what this function does ... ? this is as far as I can understand.

function FN_is_marker($courseid, $userid=0) {
    global $USER;

if ($userid == 0) {
        $userid = $USER->id;
    }

return ((isadmin($userid)) ||
            (get_record('course_marker_FN', 'courseid', $courseid, 'userid', $userid)));

Any suggestions to help track this down would be appreciated.

Does all of the FN course type need to be present or only the lib.php? If the latter - does the above function need to be there if we only want the my courses menu? This is getting more complex than I like, but wondering if the relevant bits of lib.php can be added to the main block_FN_my_courses.php to create a more stand alone block.

Separate question (assuming above can be sorted out)- wondering how to set the default values for inactive and active courses to 'off' so only my courses is 'on'. Got lost in the php trying to find where this is initially set, though found where it is changed.

TIA and hoping it is not something obvious we have missed.thoughtful

Andy

(Moodle 1.5.3+, W2K, IIS, MySQL 3.23, PHP 4.3.2)

In reply to Andy Hawkins

by Julian Ridden -
Ok, looks like I have some catching up to do.

Sorry about the harcoded link guys. Never really intended to share this one as it was part of the MoodleFN project. So all my coding changes were hardcoded into the block and I obviously forgot. I will repost hopefully tomorrow a version with no hardcoded links to my site (although my stats love the extra hits big grin )

My website has been down for the last week as we updated the network to gigabit and rebuilt the webserver with Fedora. I will be replacing the files with updated versions later this week. please be patient.

And lastly, I will attempt to recode the block to not be dependant on the FN course layout. No promises..but shouldnt be too hard.

Stay tuned smile

by Chad Outten -

Thx again, Julian. 'My Courses' block now works beautifully on main page of site.

Only thing ive noticed [in prelim testing for PDA devices] is that folders in tree structure won't expand 'Course Cateogries' [clicked '+' sign is tapped] > so, unfortunately PocketPC users can't access their courses via main page. Can anyone suggest a fix?

Cheers, Chad big grin

by Mark Little -
Hi,

Is there a Language file for this FN Course Format?

Thanks
In reply to Mark Little

by Julian Ridden -
I really feel I should not be repackaging and distributing someone elses hard work for fear it could be seen as I am taking credit.

Do a search for FNMoodle and download the package. You will find all these files as well as the many other great features they developed there.

by Richard Treves -
Julian,

It looks very professional, clean and clear.  However, I think you have gone overboard on the lines, there are lines nesting boxes within boxes (mycalendar is within main navigation is within another unamed box) and this has the known optical effect of making it confusing to see where everything is.  Better to have a small tone change indicating different topics 'spaces' on screen.  If this is all new to you, I learnt about it from reading up Edward Tufte's work.

Having said that, the lines are blue and thin  which reduces the effect, it would be much worse if they were thick and black.

Hope that is of help, I'll explain further if you're interested

Rich

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Julian,

Thanks for your earlier response to my private message.  Also let me say Clouds is great.  I'm having fun with it and trying my best to customize it.  I have downloaded the FNMoodle package and am wanting to implement the My Courses block the way you have but am having trouble.  If I just install it the way it is (drag and drop) it creates all kinds of havoc on my site.  My admin page becomes inaccessible (don't know why) and the block never appears.  Delete it and everything is back to normal.  I have almost no php skills but I did open the block.php file and see that it references a directory containing "FN" that of course does not exist on my standard version of 1.6.3.  Did you have do roll up your sleeves and edit some of the code to get this to work on your site?

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Jason,

Sadly it was not just as easy as dropping it in. This is the simple work around.

Drag in both the block and also the FN course format. The format does not have to be used, but the block does reference some of its code.

Let me know if that odes the trick for you.

by Jason Hollowell -
Julian,

Thanks, I suspected that it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped smile  I'm sorry but I'm not sure what the FN course format is...my lack of technical skill is showing here sad

Does this mean the folder called "format" (and its contents) that is found in the "course" folder?  And, if that is correct, where should I drag the folder?  I'm guessing into the existing "course" folder??  I'm sure you have much more pressing issues to deal with on a limited amount of time but if you have a few seconds to clarify I will be further in your debt smile

Jason

by Nic Ryan -
Hi Julian,

I was impressed with your monte site at the Sydney Moodle Conference and am now attempting to produce something similar at my own school.

I've installed the block now worries and it works well except !!

On the monte site all courses are listed prior to logging in, and I assume only enrolled courses after you log in.

On my site courses are only listed when logged in but no courses are listed prior to logging in.

I am using this particular site I'm using moodle as a CMS and want to be able to list all courses and then allow guest access to all courses. I'm running moodle 1.7+ and the CAmoodle theme. I've tried the block on a vanilla flavoured Moodle 1.7 still no success. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks Nic.
In reply to Nic Ryan

by Nic Ryan -
On Further investigation it appears that this is a bug with Moodle 1.7 It works beatifully on an older server of mine running 1.5.4. and obviously on the monenet site which I presume is running a Moodle of 1.6ish flavour.

I have logged a bug http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-7978

Hopefully this will be resolved soon. For the time being I'll have to build a HTML block with links to serve this purpose.

by Evariste Galois -

Hi, I installed the theme. However my site look very different from the MonteNet site. Would you mind help me with some questions

1. What I need to do to install the theme? Is it enough to copy all the files in the "WholeScreen" folder to the theme "folder" on the server?

2. Please refer to the figure in the attachment, it is what I got after "installing" the scheme. I can observe:

Number 1: The background picture of the block header does not show up.

Number 2: The background colors of the rows in the block do not change from row to row. In addition, the font and font size of the rows do not change.

Number 3: I like the course list on MonteNet a lot. However, I could not achive it here. First of all, how to group courses into groups? It seems that Moodle do not give such options when creating the course. Next, I guess that MonteNet use a special block for the course list?

Thank you very much!

Attachment cloud.JPG
In reply to Evariste Galois

by Evariste Galois -

Reply my own post smile

I realize that I put the name of the theme as "Cloud v3.0" on the server and it did not work. When I changed it to "cloud" (no space in the name), it works.

For the structure view of courses, I will test the your block.

Thank you very much for a great theme!

by Chris Fry -

Julian

Can you please tell me where can I find the MY Courses Block and the Local Time Block....I have been looking for them ... but with little luck.

Thank you

In reply to Chris Fry

by Chris Fry -

Idiot that I am should have looked within this post....I found it. Installed it. Installed the update and still have the:

Warning: file(c:\easyphp1-8\www/blocks/course/block_course.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\easyphp1-8\www\lib\blocklib.php on line 21

any thoughts.

Clouds now in the themes Databse

by Julian Ridden -
Hi All,

Thought it about time that Clouds got the 1.6 overhaul and get put into the new Themes Database.

You can go there directly by following this link http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=339

The upload only has the theme in it, not the custom blocks. For those you will still need to hunt the moodle forums.

If there are any major issues, let me know so I can fix them and update the zip/

Clouds v3.0

by nalin warnajith -

Julian,

i am very new to this moodle and i am learning little by little. i sow your nice theme and want to test it my moodle site.i ahave download the clouds and i ahve no idea about the changes to be done to get that theme

pls, if you have a little time let me know how to configure it or link to a documentation about it

thank you

In reply to nalin warnajith

by Julian Whitehead -

Julian,

Maybe I am being really thick (no surprise there), I cannot get the My Courses block to run. I keep getting this error:

failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/*******/public_html/moodle/lib/blocklib.php on line 25

I unzipped the FN_course.zip file you provided, and copied the contents of the FN folder to the relevant blocks place. I remember getting this error on another module, I solved it but I cannot remember how.

I am running 1.6

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Julian

In reply to Julian Whitehead

by Julian Ridden -
Another julian..good to see..never enough of us around smile

Not sure at all on the cause of that error. I am running 1.6 also and the code does not touch the blocklib.php in any way.

You may have to hunt down the original author of the block for an answer to that one.
In reply to nalin warnajith

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Nalin,

installing and applying a theme in Moodle is easy. Just upload the Clouds directory into your /theme folder. Then go to your admin screen, click on Themes and select the cloud theme from there.

that will now apply it to your site.

JR

by michelle mahoney -

Hi There

I think the clouds theme is excellent and very smart.  Just a couple things:

• Some icon images (eg edit, delete) are not displayed next to the settings, is there a reason for this?  All I get is a white box and I cannot tell what I am clicking on.
  • I have managed to change the logo on the Header page, but the other pages have not changed.  Do I need to do anthing here?
  • Finally the introduction box I have used seems fixed, is there a way of changing this.

My website is www.mizzymo.com

Many thanks

Michelle

by Nivaldo Vasconcelos -
Hi,

and about the Clouds Licence ?? Is it a GPL stuff ??

Best Regards,
Nivaldo
In reply to Nivaldo Vasconcelos

by Julian Ridden -

Sorry for the delay in replying...too many posts, too little time sad

The theme is released as GPL. Feel free to modify as you need.

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Julian Ridden -
woops..my fault entirely. try again in 24 hours and Ill fix the link.

EDIT: Link has now been fixed. Moved site over the weekend..forgot to put back the file.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Julian,

Thanks for a great theme. In Clouds (and other themes) I have not infrequently seen what I consider to be a theme error in getting the theme's images. Since I allow my users to select their themes I tend to see it and catch it quickly. The problem code is typically in the header.html file with references similar to:

echo "$CFG->wwwroot/theme/$CFG->theme" ?>/pix/header_big_bg.jpg

The problem is that $CFG->theme points to the site's theme which may or mostly likely will not contain the files referenced. As a result the Clouds them appears broken. In order to give the users the greatest flexibility, you may want to consider revising the code as has been done in the standard themes to look like:

echo $CFG->wwwroot.'/theme/'.current_theme() ?>/pix/header_big_bg.jpg

Peace
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by A. T. Wyatt -
Agreed.  Just going through and changing that myself. smile

There are several graphics that have this path--backgrounds, pixel spacers, and logos.  Do you change them all?  When I tried to replace the paths, my page was merely blank.  I broke it!  I will keep hacking at it, but it would save time to have advice!

Thanks,
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Julian Ridden -
Thanks guys.

This was my first theme (built nearly 2 years ago, can you believe it?!?!) and I am sure has many errors.

Ill try to find time this week to clean up the code a bit and repack it. Keep those bugs coming smile

by lora suri -
Julian,

Thank you for your theme, answer and time for all of us!!!!
I just started to try out moodle, would you advise me how to take off the "availabe courses" in the middle?
Thanks!

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
Yes, any place that CFG->theme was being used should be replaced. Thanks Julian for following up and improving this already excellent theme.

by Sam Wynens -
How would I turn off the smaller header on all of the pages? I'm thinking of implementing a flash slide show as the background and overlaying the outlines on top.

Sam

by Bob Builder -
I have used this theme for my site, but I the FLA file was not included in your zip file. Any chance you could make it avaiable?
In reply to Bob Builder

by Julian Ridden -

Sadly I think the FLA has been lost over time sad

Ill have a hunt for it and see if I can include it in the release.

by David Byrnes -
First, I want to say that I really like this theme. It's perfect for our site and company, as we use a clouds type design in most of our brochures. However, after installing, at the bottom of every page, I get the following lines:

Warning: print_footer(/hermes/web07/b2425/pow.dbyrnes/english/htdocs/theme/Clouds/footer.html) [function.print-footer]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hermes/web07/b2425/pow.dbyrnes/english/htdocs/lib/weblib.php on line 2450

Warning: print_footer() [function.include]: Failed opening '/hermes/web07/b2425/pow.dbyrnes/english/htdocs/theme/Clouds/footer.html' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php-4.4.4/lib/php') in /hermes/web07/b2425/pow.dbyrnes/english/htdocs/lib/weblib.php on line 2450

(/hermes/web07/b2425/pow.dbyrnes/htdocs) is the web server where my installation of moodle is located. If I use one of the standard themes I don't get this. And I'm not sure what I need to change. Any ideas or suggestions?
In reply to David Byrnes

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Theme/Clouds/footer.html is most likely missing or corrupted. When you upload files with ftp all files are not always uploaded. Try to upload that file again.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by David Byrnes -
I've got it fixed now, but what I did was download the file from the link in this thread, instead of from the Themes database. That seems to have fixed the problem.
In reply to David Byrnes

by Julian Ridden -

Yeah, really wish I could edit that first post now sad

For anyone else coming to this thread late, please always download from the Themes database. That is the one that is maintained.

by Patrick Chonaiew -
Julian,

Great theme!!! Thanks for sharing. I can't seem to get the site policy to display, any thoughts?

Patrick

by Syamsul Anwar -
Hello all! Does anyone know whether this theme still works with Moodle 1.7 or 1.8 releases? Thanks!
In reply to Syamsul Anwar

by Julian Ridden -

Yes it does. I have it running in a 1.8, and there are no major backend theme changes that would effect themes between 1.8 and 1.9 versions.

Julian

by Jason Hollowell -
Julian,

Really enjoying the Clouds theme! smile I'm using it in 1.8+ and have a simple question (I hope it's simple). I have installed the Podcast activity (the one contributed by Raphael) and noticed that the Podcasting icon does not appear when I create a podcast. When I click on the podcast link within my course I can see the podcasting icon from within the podcast but it does not show up from the top level of my course. Nor does it show up in the admin block on the left of the top level of my course. I just see "podcast" next to whatever title I give my podcast.

I've also noticed that a couple of other icons don't show up either: 1. assign roles, 2. reset, 3. questions (1,2, & 3 are in the administration block within my courses)

I'm not sure if these issues are related to theme or not??? For the podcast mod I checked the mod folder and the correct icon (icon.gif) is in there but I can't figure out why it's not appearing where it should.

If you have any words of wisdom for me I would be most appreciative as always. smile

Jason

P.S. I just checked (within the allowable editing time) to see if the problem exists with other themes and it doesn't (not under the 'formal white' theme at least) so I'm guessing that it must be theme related...? I see all of the icons that I've mentioned above when I use the standard 'formal white' theme.

by Julian Ridden -
This is because Clouds uses the 'custompix' feature to replace icons with it's own custom set.

Because Clouds is such an old theme (was built for 1.5), it is missing many of these icons. Hopefully Ill get a chance to fix this soon.

In the meantime, you can either edit the theme config.php and set custompix to false, or you can add these icons yourself to the themes pix/mod folder.

Julian

by Jason Hollowell -
Julian,

Thanks. I was really close but just didn't know where to look smile I managed to get it all worked out without much trouble at all:

I changed the ipodcast folder name in theme/Clouds/pix/mod/ipodcast to podcast and that resolved my issue with the Podcast mod

Then I found the appropriate icons in my www/pix folder (return.gif, questions.gif, and roles.gif) and put them in the Clouds/pix/i folder and now I have all the icons appearing as desired.

Thank you for giving me a nudge in the right direction.

Jason

by jimmy kent -
Hi Julian
Great work I love your theme and its so easy to customise it. I have had no problems in changing the icons as well. But I have a small problem. My login box does not look neat. The text, forms as well as the login button are not alligned. I have attached a screenshot of how it appears. However, i have seen your website and yours (login box) is just the way it should be. Can you please help me out. I have tried looking at styles_ (layout,fonts as well as colours), but that didnt help. Can you please point me to the correct php,css file and tell me which variables to change. Thanks a lot

Gaaz

Attachment LOGIN.jpg

Re: Clouds v3.0 - Admin Menu

by Daniel Needlestone -
I've been using the wonderful Clouds theme for a year on my school's 1.8 site http://www.rickypedia.org
I'm looking at upgrading to 1.9 - on my test version all seems to work fine except the folders on the Admin menu show the alt text instead of the icons for example saying "Closed folder Users" or "Open folder Users" rather than showing the icons and just "Users".

I know very little about where and how themes store icons but on my test version it's looking for the icon for the folders in
theme/Clouds/pix/i/closed.gif
And on my 1.8 version where it does work it's finding the pictures in
blocks/admin_tree/closed.gif
Is this a version difference or just me!?
Thanks
In reply to Syamsul Anwar

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
I have it on Moodle 1.7 and works fine and cool wink
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by David Banes -

Hi Im having a few problems with installing Clouds

downloaded from themes not the thread

running moodle 1.8

Basically the theme is not showing up in by theme selecter (neither is imagine v2)

I have uploaded the zip file via ftp - but cannot work oout how to unzip it through my ftp client - so I have also uploaded the unzipped version - From the instructions I guess I have to unzip the file after it has been uploaded - but to be a pain - I dont know how - im using smart ftp 2.5 if that helps

Cheers

David 

by Raül Fernández -

Great theme Julian!

I'm using this theme since 1.6 version without problems, but in the 1.9 beta, in the navigation bar appears "Array" instead the course name. Where is the code referencing this part?

In reply to Raül Fernández

by David Smith -
I was experiencing the same problem when I updated to 1.9. Deleting this line "global $course, $category;" from the header.html seemed to fix the problem.

Re: Clouds v3.0 - change background colour

by Mike Wilson -

Hi Julian,

We're using your clouds theme at our college and we're really impressed with it, thank you!

I'm trying to make our moodle install more accessible. I want to create a range temples based on clouds with different back-ground colours /text colours / text sizes.

My question is:

How can I easily change the background colour of the clouds theme? I've looked for entries in the various css sheets, but can't see anything obvious.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated smile

by Abhilash Jayan -

There is a really good issue that needs to be dealt with. The HTML Area Text Editor, doesn't work frequently with this theme on IE. However Ihave never found this problem with Firefox. I hope you understand. The textbox inside the editor shrinks suddenly and doesn't let you type anything in. However you could enlarge the editor and type in that way or type it in Text mode.

While using the Frontpage Settings (the HTML Area is partly not shown (Vertically cut). If you use the Text editor mode, almost half of the textbox disappears.

Hope someone can help. I tried it without the theme, or just the basic themes and they work fine. Please help!

Regards,
Abhilash Jayan

In reply to Abhilash Jayan

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Abhilash,

I just tested it and you are right - It's one of those weird "white space problems". I opened config.php of Clouds theme and there is one line feed at the end of that file after last ?>

You can't see it in notepad but it's visible in WordPad. Attached file worked ok with my test site Clouds theme.

JULIAN - could you check that file...smile

by Joseph Rézeau -
Mauno,
Thanks for your diagnostic! The dreaded blank line syndrome has struck again. I frankly do not understand how current PHP versions are still so dumb that they will stumble on that empty last line instead of simply, cleverly, avoiding it...
Instead of this warning:
// MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EDIT THIS FILE THAT THERE ARE NO SPACES, BLANK LINES,
// RETURNS, OR ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THE TWO CHARACTERS ON THE NEXT LINE.
cannot progrmmers "teach" PHP to simply ignore that blank line, etc.?tongueout
Joseph

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Something like http://www.totallyphp.co.uk/code/remove_whitespace_from_a_text_string_using_the_php_trim_function.htm

http://us.php.net/trim

Those text editors may surprise you any time - I used to edit files with notepad but some months ago I thought I was an idiot when some simple php code did not work in moodlelib.php although I checked it many times and finally asked help. I tried WordPad and had no problems...and I had spent 20 hours to find out it was just the "wrong editor" - and I had used many years notepad without any problems. I even tested how different "invisible characters" may cause different errors - space, line break,... and the most amazing thing was that different versions of moodle had different problems with same character and for moodlelib.php saving the file with notepad without any changes locked me out from moodle (I had a backup of that file of course...) big grin

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Joseph,
There is a simple cure to this rather frustrating problem :
Simply remove the ?> tag from the file.
Maybe you don't know but PHP does not need closing tags, and omitting them will save you from this kind of problems (like trialing newline chars causing headers to be sent).

The ?> is only usefull if you have something to write after it !

This is the reason why php closing tags are being left out intentionally now in a lot of projects.
Maybe you can even make a proposal to Moodle developpers so that become the rule for all files.

Be 2008 the year of the "no more problems caused by ?>"
Jean-Michel

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Joseph Rézeau -

Bonjour Jean-Michel,

I had not heard of that solution. Now I understand the problem better. On the other hand, it does not look intellectually satisfying to open an tag and then not to close it, don't you agree?

Actually, I hope 2008 will be a year full of problems, to keep us busy with providing solutions.wink

Bonne année,

Joseph

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Jean-Michel,

I had never heard this either - http://us.php.net/basic-syntax.instruction-separation gives however one note:

Do not mis interpret

<?php echo 'Ending tag excluded';

with

<?php echo 'Ending tag excluded';
<p>But html is still visible</p>

The second one would give error. Exclude ?> if you have no more html to write after the code.

Then we would need a warning like:

// MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EDIT THIS FILE THAT THERE IS NO HTML AFTER <?php echo 'Ending tag excluded'; wink

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Hello Mauno,
On the same page, just a few lines above :

Note: The closing tag of a PHP block at the end of a file is optional, and in some cases omitting it is helpful when using include() or require(), so unwanted whitespace will not occur at the end of files, and you will still be able to add headers to the response later. It is also handy if you use output buffering, and would not like to see added unwanted whitespace at the end of the parts generated by the included files.

Typically this is the case of all lang and class files and I think it would be a lot better if we suppress all ?> at least in all Moodle's lang and class files.
Just my opinion of course sourire
As an example the open source PostNuke project has done this for it's future .8 release.
Of course all files containing html code after ?> should not be modified !!

by Abhilash Jayan -

Mauno,

That doesn't seem to work either. Even if I try it out with how jean-michel vedrine told (removing ?> it doesn't seem to work). I don't know what else is wrong. Just in case I am trying to downloada fresh copy of Clouds and change it your version and try. I will reply if it works that way.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Abhilash Jayan

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Tested it again with the latest version of 1.9 and after a second look the main problem seems to be in header.html

I replaced Clouds header.html and footer.html with standard theme files and editor worked ok with 1.9 and 1.8. There is nothing special in footer.html but lots of special solutions in header.html.

Try to use standard theme header.html and footer.html and copy such parts of Clouds original header.html to your theme that you need...logos for example. Main css works ok.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Abhilash,
one update - http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12935

Replacing lib/editor/htmlarea.php in moodle 1.9 with the version found from moodle 1.8 package seems to work in my test server.

After all it seems to be an editor bug and not a theme bug although changes in header.html have some effect.

by P Edwards -
The download ink seems to be broken again, and I'd love to get this beautiful theme!

Thanks!
In reply to P Edwards

by Anthony Borrow -
Julian - Would you be willing to consider adding the Clouds theme to:

/contrib/plugins/theme/clouds

I would like to get most of the themes on to CVS so that folks could then download the zips from the Moodle download server. Plus maintaining the themes would be a little easier. Let me know if you need anything to do so or if you have different versions and need separate branches.

Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Julian Ridden -
I am building this baby from scratch again to be more compliant with new requirements. Also the code needs to be tidied up quite heavily. Should be done within the week. More than happy for it to go into contrib.