Flashcard module add-on: Newest Version of Flashcard and Matching Module

Flashcard module add-on: Newest Version of Flashcard and Matching Module

by Michael Robellard -
Number of replies: 22
I was reading my own thread about the Flashcard and matching module that I created and realized that you cannot easily find the newest posts on a thread. I posted inofmration about a new version of the module compatible with 1.5 and some issues I have come up with regarding 1.5 and my module. However I had to read through the entire twelve replies to find my post about the new version, so anyone else trying to read it probably would have a hard time finding there way through the old posts to find the new one.

The long and short of this is I decided to start a new thread on the latest version of the Flashcard and Matching Module. This version works with version 1.5 of Moodle.

It adds support for Sesskey which was causing problems.
It fixes a bug when viewing matching in IE where you had to click on the word instead of anywhere in the box.
It also has fixes from the previous versions including a working backup and restore that properly links to the quiz questions.

It does not have the changes to the quiz module to allow for more than ten matching questions or the matching Module style of questions for the quiz module. I think these are good changes but it is nearly impossible to keep up with changes to the quiz module so I took them out. You can still have more then 10 matching questions by importing them from a text file.

Perhaps the maintainer of the quiz module would be interested in adding these features into the quiz module?

I hope this doesn't confuse anyone.

Sincerly,

Mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Robellard

Re: Flashcard module add-on: Newest Version of Flashcard and Matching Module

by Rhonda Goetz -
Any update on more than 10 questions?  Sure would be nice to have more!
In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by Adam Johnston -
You can increase your question amount easily by just going to /mod/quiz/questiontypes/match/match.html

Around line 79 there is a line like this for ($i=1; $i<=80; $i++) { except instead o 80 yours should say MAX_ANSWERS or something to that effect.  you just replace that with however many subquestions you want to allow, in my case I chose 80.  I will be lowering mine again as it gets hard on the server to pull up all that info, especially for a matching test with all those dropdown boxes, but it can be increased to 25-50 I would thing relatively painlessly.

You may consider randomizing large sets and them putting all the questions per section in a catgory for the quiz, that way they are randomly in groups of 5-20.  I did this with the renderedmatch question type to give me some extra features and make it a printable test where I just select 2 questions per chapter randomly, which gives me a 20 question vocab test premade.

If it doesn't work let me know and I will recheck what I did.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Adam Johnston

by N Hansen -
I've been trying to add more flashcards than the standard 10. I need to put 78 in a deck. As Adam suggested I increased my max answers to 78. When I go to create the matching questions, it gives me 78 questions to fill in. However, it is only saving the first 64. Is this some sort of database limit I am coming up against? If so, what can I do to increase it?
In reply to N Hansen

by N Hansen -
In investigating it further, this problem appears to me more strange than I thought. The records above 64 are getting stored in the database and are appearing if I create a matching quiz. They do NOT appear however when I go to edit them again (everything above 64 appears blank) and they do not appear in a flashcard deck that draws from that matching question. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

by Matt Campbell -
I found your flashcard module and am trying to get it working.  The matching comes in just fine, but when I try to add the flashcard set I get the following error message:

Could not add a new instance of flashcard

I turned on PHP Debugging and get these errors while I'm setting up the flashcards -
Undefined property: summary in /usr/share/moodle/mod/flashcard/mod.html on line 34

Undefined property: questionid in /usr/share/moodle/mod/flashcard/mod.html on line 60

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Matt Campbell -
I had time to work on this today and figured it out - the database entries for the matching was created, but the entries for the flashcards were not.  Using MySQLadmin, I created the table mdl_flashcard and populated it with the same columns as mdl_matching.

by David Enarson -

Hello,

I am having a problem with the answer to the flashcard getting truncated.

I do not know if this is a display problem with the page or if the data is not all being stored in the database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I attached a picture outlining the problem.

Best,

David

Attachment flashcards.jpg
In reply to David Enarson

by Michael Robellard -
The problem is that the database field length for an answer is limited to 255 characters. The answers are stored in the quiz module not in the flashcard module.

You should see the same problem if you made a matching type quiz.

You could try changing the field type for the answers in the database to text, but it could cause problems elsewhere

by David Edwards -

I have downloaded the flashcard mod and having problems with it.

First of in the form I get matchingquestion at the bottom of the form.

Then I get course module incorrect.

What am I doing wrong. I followed the readme.txt file.

In reply to David Edwards

by M F -
David
I am having the same problem. Please let me know if you find out the solution
thanks
In reply to M F

by Johan sk4p -
+1 !
I have this problem too... Course module is incorrect sad
Did you find the solution ?

Maybe the problem is I'm running the 1.6 version of Moodle and this module was created for 1.5 version...

Somebody knows if it could be this problem ?
Thanks in advance
In reply to M F

by W Stewart -

This worked for me and I picked it up in a forum. Go to "config.php" file in Moodle open it and near the bottom you will see these lines

$CFG->directorypermissions = 00777;  // try 02777 on a server in Safe Mode
$CFG->unicodedb = true;  // Database is utf8

Now Enter    $CFG->enableglobalshack = true;   between them

like this

$CFG->directorypermissions = 00777;  // try 02777 on a server in Safe Mode
$CFG->enableglobalshack = true;
$CFG->unicodedb = true;  // Database is utf8

Regards Wes stewart

In reply to W Stewart

by Johan sk4p -
Yeah !

I added this line in my config.php and installed the flashcard_16 and it works very well !!!

Thank you very much

Johan
In reply to David Edwards

by John Blaser -
Hi,
I am definitely a novice at adding modules. I think I installed it correctly (unzipped it and dragged the files into a new folder called Flashcard inside the Mod folder, but have consistently gotten the following error message:
Module flashcard: /home/johnblas/public_html/moodle/mod/flashcard/db/mysql.php was not readable
It happens with Flashcard, but other modules as well. I checked file permissions and I have tried checking all the file attributes, but nothing seems to help. Any ideas or things to try would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
In reply to John Blaser

by Clodomir aka Aaron Gibson -
I don't really know anything about the flashcard module but if it
is on a unix file system make sure the directory is readable
(and probably executable) too. In the shell use 'chmod'.

by Ji Ming -

Hello all,

Is there a version of the flashcard mod that will work with 1.7+

Thanks...

James

In reply to Ji Ming

by Erik Ringmar -
same question. I'd like a version that works with 1.7.1.

yours,

Erik

by Valery Fremaux -

Here comes a flashcard rewrited to supports full 1.7 and 1.8 versions, with a correct internationalization for french.

May it be providen as official latest version ?

Style externalized as flashcard.css for easier control of the card layout and appearance. 

Nothing added as functionnality, still plugs on matching questions, but I will make a bit of code if needed.

Cheers.

Valery.

In reply to Valery Fremaux

by N Hansen -
Valery-Thanks. I've added the links to the database and added your name as a maintainer, in case people have questions about 1.7 or 1.8 they know where to go (because I have not yet upgraded to those versions I'm afraid I wouldn't be of any help).
In reply to Valery Fremaux

by Sebastian Komorowski -
Hello Valery,
I like that module very much - thank you for your porting to 1.8. I would like only to say that I have some problems with that module. During the adding flash_card I have something like that:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$summary in /var/www-ssl/mod/flashcard/mod.html on line 37

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$questionid in /var/www-ssl/mod/flashcard/mod.html on line 64

I didn`t have a time to check it now,

Sebastian

how to put images on flashcards

by ahmet b -
does any one know how to add images on Flash cards?

thanks in advance

In reply to ahmet b

Re: how to put images on flashcards

by Valery Fremaux -

Please try the very-alpha version of fully redesigned Flashcard in this discussion

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=96724

Flashcard is highly enhanced there with complete Leitner system.

When setting "questionasimages" and/or "answersasimages", the text of the question and/or response is considered as an image name you could upload in the course file repository, in moddata/flashcard/{$flashcard->id}

I didn't try it yet, but will make such tests this WE.

You will be able to build text -> text, text -> image, image -> text, and image -> image flashcards.

Some French fellows asked me to extend to sound, or animation. I will have a look for adding a sound player. That would be nice to here a sound and ask "what bird is this ?". above parameters should then change and propose a selectable list of media for either question or answer.

Cheers.