HTML editor gone to frell,after upgrade

HTML editor gone to frell,after upgrade

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 21
Hi,
I upgraded my server to 1.5 dev and... tachan ! HTML editor is gone.
I've checked the config.php files for blank lines or so, I've cheked the variables... and everithing seems ok, but the hTML editor that is ... gone
Any Ideas?
Ludo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: HTML editor gone to frell,after upgrade

by Janne Mikkonen -
Does this apply both IE and Mozilla/FireFox? Do you have any error messages in Firefox's javascript console?

- Janne -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
It happens both in IE an firefox...
the javascript console in firefox show a lot of errors triste
I atach the snapshot.
Thank you Janne
Ludo

Attachment console.JPG

by Janne Mikkonen -
seems like error nr 2 is causing it.

Open htmlarea.php, find these lines (in search and replace function):
var strReplaced = '<?php print_string('itemsreplaced','editor'); ?>';
var strNotfound = '<?php print_string('searchnotfound','editor');?>';

replace these lines with:

<?php
 $strreplaced = addslashes(get_string('itemsreplaced','editor'));
 $strnotfound = addslashes(get_string('searchnotfound','editor'));
 ?>
 var strReplaced = '<?php echo $strreplaced ?>';
 var strNotfound = '<?php echo $strnotfound ?>';

and try again (remember to clear your browser cache).

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Problem solved sonrisa,
thanks Janne you're the king!
Ludo

by Janne Mikkonen -
Thanks shy

I'm king of Jacks... since I had left those lines there when It should've been done correctly at the first time...

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Is this fix in CVS already? I still have the problem (also on moodle.org)
In reply to koen roggemans

by Janne Mikkonen -
Yes, it's in  CVS.

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Thanks, that pases the problem back to me I suppose (and yes, I've doublechecked my profile wink )

by Herbert Keijers -
Koen, I think there is a typo in the dutch language in content of editor.php
Look for $string['cutpastemozilla']
In some way, the first ' is getting " and the compiler gets confused with \"plakken\".
Janne, ignore my other post ...
In reply to Herbert Keijers

by koen roggemans -
I can't see anything wrong with the string. When I remove it, the problem stays. Als in English I have the problem.
It might have to do something with the language. With a completely clean site (empty database etc) default language in en, it works. Courses, created in nl don't give an editor.
It's strange I have the same problem on Moodle.org, wich is completely created in en.
I'm going to dig into this. The problem must be found.

by koen roggemans -
So strange. I cleared my cache manu military and now the editor works: on moodle.org (must have the double quotes in the langpack - or the language files must be realy old) and on my testsites.
Just for fun I re-entered the quotes - keeps working, even when I clear cache, restart the webserver ... I'll leave them out anyway - replaced with italic tags, probably safer smile
Can someone with sufficient karma update or check the nl/editor.php on Moodle.org or are the quotes not yet in moodle.org (introduced in CVS on Sun May 8 21:29:23 2005 UTC)?

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
This editor only showed up on moodle.org even after clearing cache and changing language. Using Dutch als default language I keep on getting these errors:

Fout: missing ) after argument list Bronbestand: http://moodle.org/lib/editor/htmlarea.php Regel: 1842, Kolom: 102 Broncode: if (confirm("Jammer genoeg kun je de normale toetsenbordcombinatie (of zelfs de knop "plakken") niet gebruiken om tekst te plakken in deze editor. Dit is het gevolg van een beveiligingsfunctie die ingebouwd is in sommige versies van Mozill
Fout: HTMLArea is not defined Bronbestand: http://moodle.org/lib/editor/lang/en.php Regel: 14
Fout: HTMLArea is not defined Bronbestand: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?reply=113394 Regel: 243
In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

by koen roggemans -
Yes, I took the double quotes out of the nl lang pack, but the file isn't yet refreshed on Moodle.org. Should be fine if it is changed.

by Herbert Keijers -
Janne, I have the same problem Koen mentionned.
After a cvs upgrade to 1.5 dev (2005050600 --> 2005051500) the HTML editor is gone (FireFox and IE). I think it was also gone in 2005050600.
Noticed you have a htmlarea_bak.php in ../lib/editor
Was curious, so I renamed htmlarea_bak.php back to htmlarea.php and voila ...the editor was back.
Koen <-- Could it be a language problem since moodle.org hasn't the problem ?

by koen roggemans -
I have the same problem on Moodle.org - A lot of HTML-practice smile

The dropdownbox to change the format (HTML, Moodle, Markdown) is gone and replaced by a fixed text.

by Mikael Ekblom -
Renaming and reverting to the old files fixed the problem for me too, IIS 6.0, PHP 5.0.3, Win 2003 server,latest stable 1.5 release. Hmm, I think I need to investigate this a bit more.
In reply to Mikael Ekblom

by L. Vandijck -
Same problem: after upgrade to 1.5 stable, no more html editor, neither in FF nor in IE.
Tried all that is mentioned above, but the darn thing just refuses to reappear. Am getting desperate: we can't manage (any more) without it, is has become part of our (virtual) life.
Anything else I can do or try?
In reply to L. Vandijck

by koen roggemans -
Strange, this is an old discussion - problem should be fixed now.
I assume you are using the latest 1.5
First clean your browsercache very good smile (I searched for hours and the problem was in the cache!)
Try with a different language (if you are using  nl, you should use a version after mid may I guess)

by L. Vandijck -
Had cleaned cache repeatedly, of both FF and IE but to no avail.
Had switched language, still no editor.
In the end I had some software clean the whole disk and then replaced htmlarea.php again by the previous version (_bak, dating from 2004) and lo and behold: the prodigal son of an editor has returned.
Thanks for the swift reaction.

by Eduardo Santos -
I had same problem using a version downloaded this week.

The editor don't appears. The problem was solved when I renamed the htmlarea_bak.php to htmlarea.php (both in moodle_dir/lib/editor/).

Some new features don' t work with this solution,  e.g.,  spell-checking, Search and Replace etc.

Now, I'm going to compare those files. Will be a good read, at least smile

Regards,
Edu Santos.
Brazil