Internalmail module now suports moodle 1.5

Internalmail module now suports moodle 1.5

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 110
Hi,
finally we have updated the intrenalmail module to the moodle 1.5 API.
So here it is. Installation manuals and other internalmail stuff is at he home page:
http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~malier/internalmail
We still need help with the module translation.
Cheers.
Ludo (Marc)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: Internalmail module now suports moodle 1.5

by Marcus Schubert -
Hi,

this is a really good mod i always wanted to have cool But unfortunately i got two problems:

1. If i send a message to another user, the recipient get's the mail twice - once the original and secondly the same message but with the Subject 'RIO'. Do you know what that means? And if I try to delete the second one i get that the POST ID is incorrect.

2. If i try to add a new contact, i get the following error:

Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Offset not contained in string. in C:\Programme\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\moodle-latest\mod\simplemail\lib.php on line 3340
This is not a valid address

Would be glad if you could help me.

Regards

Marcus
In reply to Marcus Schubert

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thank you, this is a beta version and we are still cleaning bugs...

Internalmail New version Bugs solved

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi,
after the last buggy version triste here is a more stable version on internalmail
that works rigth with 1.5. YOu can download it from http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~malier/internalmail
Ciao
Ludo

Re: Internalmail New version Bugs solved

by Bryce Thornton -
Thanks so much.  Is it supposed to be bright green when you first install it?  Shouldn't it just use whatever theme is installed?

I'll do some testing and see if I can find any more bugs.

Thanks Again!
In reply to Bryce Thornton

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Yes, we'll solve the green thing soon.
We are on it.
Marc

by Marcus Schubert -
Hi,

i just checked your new version of internal mail. The error posted above still exists. That means, i can't add any contacts traurig
Does this error only occur on my system or didn't you have time to fix this?

By the way, this mod is really greatcool

Marcus
In reply to Marcus Schubert

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
The green thing is still on sonrojado, right now we are working in a compltelly new version (that we intend to integrate with the messaging module ) that looks like this... just to give you a lilte taste guiño.
cheers
Ludo

Attachment int.JPG

by Bryce Thornton -
Looks interesting.  Are you still going to release a stable version of 1.5 or are you bypassing that for this new 2.0 version?  Do you have a timeframe for this project?

Have you talked to Martin about the possibility of incorporating 2.0 into Moodle?

Thanks,
Bryce
In reply to Bryce Thornton

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Our timeframe for 2.0 is the late june then we'll take a break and start over on september. The current version 1.5 is not as stable as 1.2 for moodle 1.4.4, but we decided a week ago to push hard on version 2 ... the older version had the code too dirty since the adaptation to mdl 1.5 and some new requirements I proposed. so it seems more smart to go for the 2...
Martin doen not want internalmail to compete with messaging... but 2.0 (in theory) will integrate whth messaging so... maybe he will agree to incoporate  it. do I hae your vote?risa
Cheers
Ludo
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Pablo Etcheverry -
Picture of Core developers
Hi, Ludo!

We are testing your module on 1.4 and it's exactly what we need. It's a great piece of work, thanks a lot!
  IMHO, Messaging is a great tool, but lacks of some specific features, for instance:
  • attachments;
  • folders or some sort of classification;
  • some way to limit which users can be added to ones contact list, since in some cases we want the interpersonal communication to be limited to one course's  members and not the whole installation;
  • ways to manage contact list in an automatic way (i.e. adding all your course mates to it).
  Moodle distinguishes itself from the other leader VLEs (i.e. ATutor) mostly from its foundational philosophy, the one that defines knowledge as a social construction. I strongly adhere to this, but as with many other tools, the growth has come from need, and there is a lot of people using more "conductist" ways of teaching... This people desperately needs an internal email system. If we don't give them one, they will use traditional email, losing sight from the platform's point of view of the processes that happens inside a course. This is why I think this tool shouldn't be left aside.
  We are adding the feature of choosing the destination users from a menu. In fact, we are trying to merge your module with "mail" (the one hosted at Sourceforge). It's VERY hard for us, since one year ago my development team was dismantled (budget reasons) and now it's only two of us working just for the urgent needs... firemen situation. muerto Anyway, tell me if you can use our (tiny) help on this.
  Count on my vote!
     Pablo

by Mawuli Kuivi -
I have tested 1.2 for moodle 1.4.4 and it is perfect. No problems.

We are looking for one for Moodle 1.5.2+

Any news in this front?

Re: Internalmail New version Bugs solved: Attn : Ludo

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello Ludo,
I have been trying to get the Internal mail to work. I got it finally to work but it produces a lot of errors in the error log.

I am using Moodle version 1.5.2 and would be very gratetful if you can let me know of the most stable version of the InternalMail and how/where to get it.

One of the links at http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=18 does not work. That will be
http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=221

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Mawuli.

by Mawuli Kuivi -
I cannot find the file for the one which which works with the 1.5 API.

Can you give me the file name.

I clicked on  http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=221 and it gave me

Not Found

The requested URL /~malier/download/Internalmail2.0.3.zip was not found on this server.

Any help is welcome.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -

Re: Internalmail New version - when is stable/final release?

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello Marc,
Hope you doing fine. Will it be possible to give me a time line/schedule on when you think the final version (stable version) of the Internal Mail 2.2 will be release for 1.5?

We are planning on using it in our school in January and want to know what time lines you are working with.

Hope to hear from you soon.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi,
rigth now we are more commited to dfwiki than internalmail. The main reason is because we consider imail to be pretty stable. One developer is assigned to imail 2 but we are stil looking for issues and bugs to fix.
do you have any bug to report?
Regards
Marc

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Yes, there are lot some bugs.

1. When you create an instance, it will not allow you to update it, It will give you the error that 'Failed to create block instance'
2. When you create an instance as Admin and there is no Teacher in the course, it does not allow you to add anybody. If you add a Teacher to the course after creatign the instance, it still does not allow you to add anyone to the instance. You have to delete the instance and then add at least 1 Teacher before creating the instance.
3. When you turn on debug=Yes in the Moodle settings, you get lots of undefined variables in the error log. The errors from one page are usually a lot. Some few lines are
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable:  edit in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/view.php on line 97, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable:  strBLOCKMODULE in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/view.php on line 127, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant QUERY_STRING - assumed 'QUERY_STRING' in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/blocks/contacts/block_contacts.php on line 12, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  1 in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/blocks/contacts/block_contacts.php on line 16, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  1 in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/blocks/contacts/block_contacts.php on line 17, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable:  course in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/blocks/courses/block_courses.php on line 72, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable:  course in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/blocks/courses/block_courses.php on line 108, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
[client au33] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant QUERY_STRING - assumed 'QUERY_STRING' in /var/www/html/moodle15/mod/internalmail/blocks/pagelib.php on line 207, referer: http://localhost/moodle15/course/mod.php
This is just some small amount from the error log. I just want to have some idea as to what you are doing?

Now you said you are working on dfwiki, does it mean the Internal Mail is on hold? If one person is working on it, that is nice to hear. When do we expect to have a stable release? That is my questions. I want this information to be able to determine if our school needs to find something else use or wait for you.

About the first point, l think l can fix myself. About the number 2 and 3, that will need your help.

Let me know when you think that can be fixed, please.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi,
we just decided to deidcate new efforts to imail.
Since our university is using it with moodle 1.4 (with + 3.000 users and almos 30.000 in februry ) we have decided to donwgrade a version of imail 2.0 to moodle 1.4 , and to keep on going with imail 2.0 for moodle 1.5.x wich we'll implement eventually.
Patches will come soon.
Marc

by Mawuli Kuivi -
That is good news. Lets us know when you have new file releases.

Thanks for all the work.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Richard Ackland -

How do I download this...

I choose the link http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=243

and just get a blank page with errors.

In reply to Richard Ackland

by Andy Tagliani -
I thinks it´s a misconfiguration of your browser ...!? I did upload the file from there here with my topic.

Bye Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Mike Ngan -

Thanks!

This version works fine on my 1.5.3.  I've now testing it and will be release this function to my users.

Mike Ngan

In reply to Mike Ngan

by Mike Ngan -
I managed to make it work on my 1.5.3. And I've modified some code to fit my needs:

- The "course/user" record management (i.e. the CUR26 record) has been hidden to user, user do not need to manually add/remove the "mail user" record. Those record will be automatically added when user login to index page. For example, when admin creates a user account, that user will be able to use the "site mail" automatically.

- Added a function to send mail to all student/teacher within a course, teacher don't need to click 20 times if they want to send email to whole class.

- Mail record and it's data will remains in db even when they has been unenrolled. They can retrieve their email if they enroll that course again.

- The Edit button has been hidden for simple administration. (We just want to make it looks like the WebCT mail function)

I'm not sure when the course is removed, those "mail data" will be removed by the origional code or not. Maybe we need to write some housekeeping scripts.

Mike Ngan
In reply to Mike Ngan

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Mike,
can you send us (internalmail dev team / dfwiki team)  the modifications  that you made ?
Now we have some funds to improve imail and we are back on the project... soon new versions will be released.
Regards
Ludo

by Mike Ngan -
Hi Ludo,

Thanks for your contributioncool!  Your internalmail is a very useful function in moodle.

I've just changed a few lines of codes, cos' I want to keep the changes to the original to minimum.

The next thing we want to do is to make it as "default" to all courses.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

by Tony Ruggiero -
Andy:

Loaded it up fine and now I get this when I click to finish setting up the instance:

internalmail has to be enabled in the whole site. Please contact your administrator.

I can't see anyplace else I am supposed to activate.

Running 1.53+ on a Linux Box.

Thanks,
Tony
In reply to Tony Ruggiero

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
You must create a internalmail activity in the main course.
Regards
Ludo

by Eduardo Hernandez -

Hello Ludo,

I have installed internalmail under Moodle 1.5.3+ (2005060230), while it seems to work fine (tried with some few messages sent back and forth), I see a warning and a problem.

While composing a new message, the HTML editor appears "collapsed". I have seen this issue on other situations but can't remember the reason why this happens. I'm attaching a pic of this situation.

And the warning I'm getting is when I access the admin page of Moodle (i.e. moodle/admin) and I get the following message:

Warning: file(C:\moodle\moodle/blocks/internalmail/block_internalmail.php) [function.file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\moodle\moodle\lib\blocklib.php on line 21

Eduardo

Attachment internalmail_compose.gif
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi,
 this bug appears all over moodle modules with some versions of htmleditor.
By the way soon in a month or two we'll release a improved version of internalmail.
Regards
Ludo

by Chandru Hiremath -

Ludo,

I am trying to add a signature/identities feature to internalmail since we often want to send emails with forms which they can fill out and send. I was trying to imitate the feature that squirrelmail has for identities. Is there something similar that has already been developed for Internalmail module, if so I don't have to go through the curve smile

Thanks,

by John Donaldson -
Where is the site to download the latest version of internalmail that will work with Moodle 1.5?  I tried downloading it from here: http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=18, but always get an error when I click on "Internalmail 2."  This is the error I get:

"L'usuari no té cap bustia creada en aquest curs"

I don't know what that means, but I've been able to find versions of internalmail here and there in the discussion forums and wanted to know where the best place is to get the latest version.  Preferrably a version that includes the enhancements that Mike Ngan added.

Thanks!
John

In reply to John Donaldson

by Ferran Recio Calderó -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think you click on the internalmail icon. This icons is a link to an internalmail instance. (I don't know why Ludo put that link there). The zip ones era under this icons.

Also, if you can wait for some weeks, I think we can free some new version soon. We are working on it.
In reply to Ferran Recio Calderó

by Chandru Hiremath -

Ferran,

Where can I downlaod the latest version of Internalmail (the one that you are currently working onsmile)?

Thanks,

In reply to Chandru Hiremath

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Chandru,
we allmost have it ready... please hold one one week.
Regards
Ludo 

by Chandru Hiremath -
Thanks! Ludo. I am looking forward to the new version of Internalmail.

by Chandru Hiremath -

Does the new version incorporate groups in to Block Contacts on the Compose page. Something similar to Quickmail for sending messages to groups. I am working on the functionality to include groups under block contacts. Please let me know if this is already done and a link to the file.

I have also modified the lib.php file to include predefined templates in to the body of the message but I am having problems with the htmleditor. I have included javascript to append text from a text file. This works fine when the textarea is plain text but not when using htmleditor (I can toggle to text only mode append the template and switch back to html). The problem I am facing is with html editor being erratic in display.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Yes it does... and is ready to download in Internalmail home.
Regards
Ludo

by Chandru Hiremath -

i AM GETTING THIS ERROR I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS??

1051: Unknown table 'mdl_internalmail_subscriptions'

by Chandru Hiremath -

Ludo,

Do i need to have moodle 1.6 version in order for the new version of internalmail? I have 1.53+ version and get errors updating the db

Thanks,

Chandru

by Chandru Hiremath -

I got it working but I had to drop the previous Internalmail version before I could install the new block.

Thanks,

Chandru

P.S: How do I send 'To' groups within a course. when I click on the 'TO' field it doesn't show groups.

by Chandru Hiremath -

Ludo,

when the To field is clicked on Compose page the popup dialog box does not show scrollbars and user names are hidden at the bottom.

Thanks,

Chandru

by Chandru Hiremath -

Go to mod/internalmail/lib.php and add scrollbars=yes to line 1682

'\'left=400,top=20,width=350,height=500,toolbar=1,scrollbars=yes,location=0\')">';

Another option to limit the number of users shown on one page.

mod/internalmail/contacts/search.php

increase/decrease the number on lines 70 & 111

Thanks,

Chandru

by Chandru Hiremath -

The internalmail_groups table is not being populated. I don't see any blocks in the internalmail module that insert records in to the groups table. Am I overlooking something?

thanks,

Internalmail For Moodle 1.6 Beta 3

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Hello,

As my institution is moving from WebCT to Moodle we have been working with InternalMail. We had some problems trying to make it run under Moodle 1.6 Beta 3.

Today I took the code shared in this thread, made some changes and it seems to run OK. Code changes were made for getting variables from forms (change from optional_variable to optional_param), and the following line was "removed" (actually put under comments)

$course_module = get_record("course_modules","course",$internalmail->course,"instance",$this->instance->pageid);

It seems that moduleid should also be included as a parameter, as it generates duplicates. Anyway, I put it in comments and the module seems to work OK. Probably this line is piece of old code.

Please, unzip the files attached and use the original instructions for installation.

Eduardo

Re: Internalmail For Moodle 1.6 Beta 3

by Tony Ruggiero -
Installed the new Internalmail, only one problem (fyi)

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare page_create_object() (previously declared in /hsphere/local/home/tonyrug/online.rstm.edu/moodle/mod/internalmail/blocks/pagelib.php:21) in /hsphere/local/home/tonyrug/online.rstm.edu/moodle/lib/pagelib.php on line 58

When viewing Internalmail in a course.

Thanks,
Tony

by Eduardo Hernandez -

Hi Tony,

Sad, sad. I'm not receiving that error, but I was able to correct the problem. sad

Anyway, today I had the chance to 'talk' by e-mail with Ludo, and he told me the new InternalMail is almost ready for stores supporting 1.6 ;) so i guess it is a good idea to wait for his new release.

Thanks for trying Tony.

Ed

INTERNALMAIL UPDATE READY!!!

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Yes,
I'm sorry for the delay but Internalmail is ready to download at Internalmail home
Waiting for comments and ready for bug solving!
Regards
Ludo

Re: INTERNALMAIL UPDATE READY!!!

by Eduardo Hernandez -

Hi Ludo!

Nice to hear the new version is out in the streets. However, we have been unable to install it (under Linux and Windows) as we get a message saying:

"No abre" (Spanish for "can't be open"). by looking at the source code i found this line, where an explicit path is declared

if (!$xinter = fopen("/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/moodlemgr/moodledata/admin/ice/inter.txt", 'a+', 1)) {
 error("No abre", "index.php"); 
 exit;
}

Eduardo

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hi Ludo,
I am also getting the error

PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare page_create_object() (previously declared in /var/www/html/moodle/mod/internalmail/blocks/pagelib.php:21) in /var/www/html/moodle/lib/pagelib.php on line 58,

I got the latest download yesterday.

Any fixes for this?
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

Re: Internalmail For Moodle 1.6

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello Ludo,
I have done some testing on the internalmail and looks like it is not ready for production use yet.

1. When you add an attachment, the files are places at /$post->course/$CFG->moddata/internalmail/$post->attachment
This will create problems becuase if you have 2 students sending files at the same time with the same name, then one will get overwritten. The previous version placed the files on their own directory at /$post->course/$CFG->moddata/internalmail/$post->internalmail/$post->id/$post->attachment

I think this is a better solution.

2. Can you add this to the lang/en/internalmail.php
$string['courses_notify'] = 'Unread Internalmails';
$string['searchcontact'] = 'Search contact';
$string['alphabetical'] = 'Alphabetical Listing of Contacts';
$string['specialcontacts'] = 'Special contacts';
$string['allsite'] = 'All site users';
$string['allcourse'] = 'All courses';
$string['allstudents'] = 'All students';
$string['allteachers'] = 'All teachers';
$string['justcourse'] = 'Contacts of only this course';
$string['of'] = 'of';
$string['resultsfrom'] = 'Results for ';
$string['noresults'] = 'No results found.';
$string['contacts'] = 'Contacts';
$string['send by'] = 'Sent by';
$string['nonewmails'] = 'You have no new messages.';

3. I did some changes to the mod/internalmail/lib.php
When you want to compose a message, the textarea is alway richtext editor. Some people have problem with that. So l have changed that to first check if richtext editor is allowed and the correct editor display. Please take a look at the attached lib.php.

Let me know if you have any questions.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Nawuli,
thanj you for your insigths on internalmail. I'll pass them to david and ferran and we'll take a look on to it.
Regards
Ludo
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by David Castro -
Hi Mawuli,

I'm working with Ludo and Ferran to improve the Internalmail new version.

First of all, we didn't known the problem of concurrency that internalmail has. We have to solve it, but we can't do as you did it. The reason is very simple. If we make a directory of each message that have an attachement the server will turn up crazy.

After that, I think that teh internalmail languages are updated but I will check.

And finally, I will include your changes to solve the problems of richtext editor.

Thanks for all.

David.
In reply to David Castro

by Mawuli Kuivi -
First of all, we didn't known the problem of concurrency that internalmail has. We have to solve it, but we can't do as you did it. The reason is very simple. If we make a directory of each message that have an attachment the server will turn up crazy.

I have not done anything. I was just pointing the fact that when you submit a file, it is place at the location which is not a good one. The has to be a way to put attachments relating to a message different from the rest. The Internalmail version that was release last year did great with handling file attachments. This year's version does not seems to be doing a good job.

Let me know if l can be of some help.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
We changed the file implementation dues to requirements that comes in large installations. Is very dificult to make understand to regular teachers that the course wide comunications shuld be made throug forums and peer top peer comunications shuld go througth email or internalmail. When a teacher or a student  sends a file  in the previous version the file was copied in eache mailbox, and the disk overloads. So I we decided that to save disk space we could store only one copy of the file.
Regards
Ludo

Re: Internalmail For Moodle 1.5

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello Ludo,
Thanks for the comments. Your point about the file management is good only if the file is being sent to a lot of people. If l am sending a file to one person, then that does not hold very well. In most cases, students are sending things around to each to each other. So storing the file as it was done in the previous version would be best or better than this one.

This is what l think:
When you send a file, lets put the file at its own location. Even if the file is being sent to more than ono person, store only l copy of the file at its own location. This way you only have one copy of the file. You will need a field in one of the tables to track people of what they do with the file. If someone deletes his/her file, so mark the table field as file deleted. When all the others have the file deleted, then the file is finally deleted from the server.

So lets put the file by itself but for every mail, but lets store only l copy of file attached and find a way for all the others to each the file as if they had their own seperate file.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Mawuli,

The database solution is our first idea, but when we try to implements, we encountered several troubles with the current internalmail implementation.

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Where are we now with the Internal mail?
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Uzma Bhatti -
Hello!

I have been following this thread closely, and I am curious about the status of internalmail for 1.6 as well. It was a big hit in 1.5 with all of our online programs last semester. The messaging tool really does not have the functionality that we need for our courses, and the use of external email becomes quite messy because of university spam filters, professor email loads, etc. Our professors and students have said they like that internalmail allows all course communication to be contained within the course shell.

We look forward to any good news on internalmail. Thanks for working on this great idea!!

~UB
In reply to Uzma Bhatti

by David Castro -
Nowadays, there isn't any intention to upgrade internalmail to Moodle 1.6.
We are thinking about the 1.5 version to improve it. After, we will upgrade the internalmail to moodle 1.6.

Thanks for your post.
 David.

Re: Internalmail For Moodle 1.5 - virus scanning

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello Ludo and Team,
We were doing some testing of the Moodle system with Virus scanning. We found that all the modules works perfectly with virus scanning but the Internal did not work. It failed.

I did some research and found that the Internalmail does not use the upload file manager the comes with Moodle. All the modules use it and that is why they worked. The Internalmail library is lip_post.php and the function l am talking about is internalmail_add_attachment. This has to use upload manager.

I am going to change the function for our system to use the upload manager. We are currently using InternalMail 2.2. I will post the solution when done.

Do you plan on changing it for the current version to use the upload manager?

What is the status of the changes l requested some time back?
1. location of the file attachments
2. Using using  can_use_richtext_editor()  for displaying use_html_editor(..) function when composing a message or replying to a post .

This are the items l can remember.

Lets keep the Internalmail development  and forums active. Hope to hear from you soon.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

Re: Internalmail For Moodle 1.5 - virus scanning

by Mawuli Kuivi -
I think l have a working copy of the lib_post.php that handles virus scan. The file is attached.

Function Info:
internalmail_add_attachment => will work for Internalmail version 2.2
internalmail_add_attachment_v2 => will work for Internalmail version 2.0 (You will need to rename it to internalmail_add_attachment)

Let me know if you have any questions and when you can have this changes implemented.

by John Patten -
Hi Eduardo...

I am trying to get InternalMail working in Moodle 1.6.  I saw your post after searching for a solution. It looks like it is from last April.

Are your changes to the InternalMail activity still working under Moodle 1.6 ( I noticed you were describing a beta version)? 

Also, if I reinstall InternalMail from you zip package, should I drop all tables related to my existing install of InternalMail, or can I just move all the files into the appropriate directories?

Thanks for any help!

by Pablo Etcheverry -
Hi!
I wanted to use Internalmail 2.2 w/ Moodle 1.5.3+ (2005060230). I added the main instance and later another one in a course, but when I enter as a student to that course, I get the message "El usuario no tiene ningún buzón en este curso". Moreover, I get that message when entering as admin!
What could be happening?
TIA,

Pablo
In reply to Pablo Etcheverry

Hi everyone,

I'm one of the orignal DFwiki developers. Now I'm working on the new internalmail version. This bug you just mentioned Pablo, is being fixed in our developer (and unestable) version. I hope we can free some pseudo-stable version soon.

Ferran.

by Pablo Etcheverry -
That's great news! We've been working on an old version of the module, keeping it simple but adding multi-page browsing and other gadgets. Now we were about to start with some of the modifications our teachers asked for, so... do you know when we could get that pseudo-stable version?
TIA/ Gracias,
Pablo
In reply to Pablo Etcheverry

It's difficult to say it. We are now on "try-broke-repair" fase. I think it's planned to release in few weeks... but I don't know exactly.

by Toni Mas -
Hello!

I've just installed the module, and when I'm going to give of discharge a new internalmail, there goes out for me this mistake,  that I attach in the file.

The enterteining thing, it's that I've installed in other sites moodle (idem code) and does NOT give me this mistake. Can someone help me?

Thanks!!
Toni
Attachment error_internalmail.jpg
In reply to Toni Mas

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi antoni,
wich internalmail have you installed? The current version is 2.0 downloadable here
http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=18
Tell me if this is your version please.
Marc

by Toni Mas -
Hi Marc,

I'm using Internalmail 2.2.
In reply to Toni Mas

by Toni Mas -
Hi Ludo,

I've just arranged the failure. I comment to you on the steps that I've followed:

1.- I've renamed all the functions of mod/blocks/blocklib.php and mod/blocks/format/format.php adding internalmail_.
(view the attach file).

2.- I've modify the
mod/blocks/pagelib.php, I've removing the functions redeclared, and I've modify the pagelib.php and moodlelib.php global for this acept the internalmail page.
(view the attach file).

In attach file have the files who I've modificated.

One a question, are inbox created when new users join to the course?

Toni,
In reply to Toni Mas

by Tony Ruggiero -
I have Moodle 1.6 on a Linux machine. Downloaded the v2.0 from your site and it installed fine but when I click on the link for the mailbox I get this:

Screen

Any ideas?

Tony

by Mark Laffoon -
Hi,
Just installed Internalmail, and I get to this screen
internalmail

Then click save changes.

Only it doesn't save, it takes me to ..../course/mod.php and says the file can't be found.
Any suggestions?
In reply to Mark Laffoon

by David Castro -
Hi,

I don't know what is happening on your moodle.
What version of Moodle is?
Internalmail only works on Moodle 1.5 and the file that you don't find (../course/mod.php) is an internal file of moodle libraries.
So, please check your moodle version and the files in your moodle zip.

I will be waiting for your reply.
David.
In reply to David Castro

by Mark Laffoon -
Sorry for the late reply....

Currently running Moodle 1.6, on IIS 6... I know, I know, I hate it too, but thats what the boss wants to run it on, sooooo ! lol

I'm going to give it a try with the 2.2 files added in before the admin panel is accessed.  Trying to just drop the 2.2 files ontop of the 2.0 files already installed really made a mess.
In reply to Mark Laffoon

by David Castro -
Don't worry,

try it but i'm not sure that it will go on, just because the Moodle 1.6 is using the function optiona_param & require_param. Internalmail doesn't used this to get the variables from the form or URL, so may be you have to change this things.

May the force be with you.
David

by David Castro -
Hi Tony,
In advance i would like to tell you that internalmail v.2.0 is the old version of internalmail. Nowadays we have v.2.2 with many bugs solved. But WE DON'T CHECKED this internalmail on moodle 1.6, so you can the first to try if internalmail 2.2 works in Moodle 1.6

Bye!
David.
In reply to Toni Mas

by David Castro -
Hi,

The files that you modified are internal functions of a block template to introduce blocks on activity of moodle. This block template (called Block Module) was created to dfwiki module as was adquire by internalmail in a following version. So if you modified you will do carefully.

In response to your question, in a lastest version of internalmail the inbox is created when users join to the course.

Bye.
David.
In reply to Toni Mas

by Toni Mas -
Hello,

I've modified the contact block. Here this the result.
I hope it serve you.

I've modified the table view, add an paging and others things.

Bye!
In reply to Toni Mas

by John Patten -

Hi Antoni!

Was the Contacts "fix" in regards to the issues related to using Internalmail with Moodle 1.6?

Or was this fix related to just Moodle 1.5?

I never heard from anyone on the boards related to getting Internalmail working on Moodle 1.6.

Thank you!

In reply to John Patten

by Toni Mas -
Hi,

This fix related to Moodle 1.5.

bye!

NEW INTERNALMAIL VERSION . Thanks uib.edu

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi there,
the friends of University of Balearic Islans have patched some bugs of the IM 2.2 last released last spring. The internalmail version 2.3 is available for download on the Internalmail home page.
Thanks Toni and folks in UIB!!!
Ludo and the internalmail team.
pd. David and Ferran have started working on a totally new IM that would be comming up on 2007 for whatever moodle version is stable by then. But all of this is just buzz by now.

by Juan Emilio Fuentes -
Estimado Ludo Tengo instalada la versión 1.6.2+ y bajé la última versión 2. del Internalmail. Despues de instalarse exitosamente las tablas cuando trato de hacer el buzón en la página principal me da el mensaje Course module is incorrect y no puedeo usar el internalmail a pesar de que se presenta su símbolo en el bloque donde fue instalado. que hacer, gracias por anticipado,
Dr. Juan Fuentes
UNELLEZ, Venezuela
In reply to Juan Emilio Fuentes

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Dear Juan,
I'm aware that IM does not work propertly in 1.6. We will take a look at it, but it may take a while cause we are very busi with the wiki thing
Regards
Ludo

by Alexandro Fonsêca -
which the forecast of release of the Internamail for Moodle 1.6
In reply to Alexandro Fonsêca

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
dunno excactly. David and >Ferran are working on a brand new one, but they're very busy right now. I figure out that the new version will be 1.7 or 1.8 compilant.
I supose that we will have to find some time to fix this version for 1.6 changing a few litle things... matter of weeks sad
Ludo out

by Mawuli Kuivi -
For some time, l thought this forum was dead since know one was responding. Nice to hear you are still there.

What is the time line in getting Internal mail working with 1.7?

Have the changes l made or ask for been implemented? Is there any way to help in the development of the module?
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
HI,
if you wish to help, contact with Ferran Recio or David Castro. help is always welcome!
Ludo

by john zhang -
sorry to bother.  I downloaded it and installed it to the mod dir, but when i went to configure, the module did not show up.....

by the way, I'm willing to translate it into Chinese if you need some one.
In reply to john zhang

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Nihao John,
first wich version of moodle do you use ? IM rigth now does not work for 1.6.
Second, translations will be most welcome!
Cheers
Ludo

Re: Internalmail module now suports moodle 1.5 - Attention Ferran Recio and David Castro.

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello Ferran Recio and David Castro.,
How do l get in touch with you. I would like to help in moving the Internal mail ready for Moodle 1.7 ASAP.

Let me know how l can help.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

Re: Internalmail module now suports moodle 1.5 - Attention Ferran Recio and David Castro.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Mawuli,
David and Ferran rigth now are very busy and their intention is to build up from scratch a new inmternalmail...
I have a new student who will work on adpating IM to 1.6 (first thinsg firts) and then to 1.7.
Please contact me in one week if you still want to help. And thanks smile
Ludo

by Mawuli Kuivi -
What can l do to get it ready for Moodle 1.7 ASAP? Sorry it took long to get back to you.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Well,
righth now we are focussed on getting it to work in 1.6 ... there's a bug that does not let it work propertly. When this is done we only need to adapt it to Roles and XML database.
Contact with carles ferreiro who's working on it for more details.
carles.ferreiro@gmail.com
Regards
Ludo

by John Patten -

Hi Ludo...

I'd have to second the recent comments, glad to see there is still work being done on InternalMail!

We took a look at it in Moodle 1.5, upgraded to 1.6 and discovered it did not work with 1.6 sad

Thanks for your hardwork!

by Teemu Sumi -
HOLA ! ! !

I made the 1.6 version. I made lots of changes to the code and to the database. I managed to make update script also. I had to remove some of the features. There are still security problems that I haven't solved. Also I would like to replace the original spanish variable names and comments by english alternatives.wink

Teemu

In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Teemu,
I asume you used the cvs for this update? We have a newer version with lots of bugs fixed and fully functional. Next week we plan to release a stable 1.6 version. then we will start to clean up the code. Can I count on you to guide my students on fixing security issues? Thanks smile
Ludo

by Teemu Sumi -
I will check the code. I meant that when I made the changes I found some security holes of my own.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

New IM release 2.4 fixing lots of issues bu still for 1.5

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi there,
I have released in internalmail home the 2.4 version of intrenalmail.
This version contains serious bugfixes, security fixes, and specially performance optimization to make it viable for our univesity server. Ferran Recio and David Castro, now working for UPCnet.es, struggled a lot to get it as it is rigth now.
This version only works for Moodle 1.5 but in the next days we will release the 2.5 version for Moodle 1.6 and will start working on a 1.7 up and running release.
Other plans in our roadmap is to implement the " you have and internalmail " email reminder that we had on versions 1.x and was lost in the wind.
Cheers
Ludo

Re: New IM release 2.4 fixing lots of issues bu still for 1.5

by John Patten -

That's fantastic news!  In our school (K-8) we do not have email for students, however we do use Moodle. This will be a great tool incorporated into Moodle to provide a more email like messaging system.

BTW, back in July, I had attempted to install an earlier version of Internalmail on our 1.6 Moodle server. Obvioulsy, it did not work but I still have the following tables in my Moodle database:

mdl_internalmail
mdl_internalmail_aliases
mdl_internalmail_block
mdl_internalmail_block_instance
mdl_internalmail_contacts
mdl_internalmail_copiesenabled
mdl_internalmail_discussions
mdl_internalmail_groups
mdl_internalmail_history
mdl_internalmail_posts
mdl_internalmail_aliases
mdl_internalmail_subscriptions

Is it okay to delete (drop) these tables from my Moodle database? Can I leave them in there for the new version that will work for 1.6? ...in anticipation for the new version smile

Thank you!

In reply to John Patten

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Yes you may delete the internalmail tables and the Internalmail record in the table moudles ... then you will be ready to install again Internalmail.
Regards
Ludo

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello Ludo,
That is great. I just have some few comments.

1. The lib_post.php need need to use require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/lib/uploadlib.php'); This way you can make use of upload_manager which can also do VIRUS checking. There way it is now, the is no virus checking.

2. In the SQL files like mysql.sql and postgres.sql, can we change insert statement lines to be something like
INSERT INTO prefix_internalmail_block (name,version,cron,lastcron,visible,multiple) VALUES ....

The way it is now does not seem to install when trying to install in a postgres database since the id value is not created automatically. It is setup to be 1, 2, etc.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thanks Mawuli,
I'll tell Carles about it.
Cheers
Ludo

by Will Cunningham -
Anyone know how I can get the area that you type in to appear when writing a message? The html area is collapsed in IE but not Mozilla. I am using 1.5.3 and the correct version I have looked at the code but just can't make sense of it. Any ideas?
In reply to Will Cunningham

by Will Cunningham -
Does anyone have any ideas? In IE the html text editor appears but there is not text area to type in. I can't find a solution anywhere. I would appreciate any help I can get.
In reply to Will Cunningham

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi will,
this issue with HTML editor has ocurred in other modules and its a classic in the forums. Please if you can find the solution I'll apply it to the IM at once. rigth now we are so busy with the wiki stuff.
Cheers
Ludo
ps. anyway I strongly suggest to use firefox 2 or opera to browse, wich is no excuse for this bug to happen.

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Do you know when IM for Moodle 1.7 will be released?

Mawuli
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
This week we are releaseing a new issue of IM 2.5 that will send email reminders of the IM pending messages.
In a matter of weeks will come IM for 1.7
Ludo