Information overload

Information overload

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 7

Until yesterday I thought that I could handle the flood of all these messages in all these forums on Moodle.org:

When I had to skip one day my daily login in Moodle - yes I suffer oodlemoodle - I used the "overview of new messages since my previous login button" and thought that my Moodle-knowledge (MK) was up to date again.  

Now "White Reality" hits me in the face when I login: 269 unread messages in the development track, 100 in the....

(Can I somewhere choose where to cut the unread history line?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Information overload

by Darren Smith -

Also I don't have much interest in, say, the themes forum. Martin indicated that he is working on a mark all read thing but presumably the unread message count will begin to increase again (and clutter my screen sad).

Are there any plans for an 'ignore forum' feature?

Darren

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
These numbers being shown are not currently correct - the database update isstill going. It's been going for three hours now using my new improved script and it's still only processed 54 of 751 discussions and added 300,000 entries in the forum_read table! surprise
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
That gives something to think about...
In reply to koen roggemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, there's about 1000 new posts on this course from the past 7 days (which is what I set the "oldness" limit to).

Marking them all read for 7000 Moodlers is 7,000,000 records in the forum_read table. And that's just THIS course.

I think we're going to see quite a slowdown as the table grows, because this table gets read everytime the course pages or forums are shown, but I'll let it run and we'll see - it'll be a good test wink If it doesn't work out then we're going to have to find more shortcuts or turn it off.

Actually, I think I'll reduce the longtimenosee variable to 30 days again for starters.

by Martin Dougiamas -
I've just kicked nearly half the people off this course! wink (those who hadn't been here for 30 days) So we can talk about them openly now. wink   This should help the upgrade script complete in under a week!

I'm also thinking that we perhaps need a user profile setting for tracking read/unread, which defaults to off. Those using email subscriptions rarely need it...

by Joyce Smith -
Martin, does selecting the 'daily digest' for emails automatically mark them as read ?  is there a way we could set thedefault to daily digest in login profiles ?
Especially new sites and users seem to get 'concerned' about the sudden 'spam' as they sometimes term it . Certainly we can put up a notice , but often (from my experience) after the event ,just a thought .....smile