MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

by Fernando Oliveira -
Number of replies: 28
Picture of Plugin developers

For anyone who expressed an interest in the features associated with the G8Moodle course format (as discussed here), most of these features are now part of a new release called MoodleFN.  While effort was made to keep the customizations inside the MoodleFN course format, please note that a number of these changes will affect the way Moodle behaves overall. MoodleFN includes a new marking system, an online assignment type, an assignment tracking system, and many other features aimed at making Moodle more appropriate for high school learners. Click here to see a list of customizations.

Please visit the demo site for more info about this project: http://moodlefn.firstnationschools.ca/moodlefn_demo/demo/

Note:

1. The demo site does not currently have an "admin view"

2. The actual MoodleFN code (the "download") has not been posted yet so please dont ask (need to do some more testing). It should be available in the next few days (Ill post another message).

Cheers,

Fernando

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Oliveira

Re: MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

by Carl Rosenfield -

Fernando,

This is the best news I've heard all week! Thank you!

-Carl

by Darren Smith -
This is very interesting. Very intersting indeed approve. Is this new news or did I miss all of this?

Anyway, I love (1) what you have done with the sections. Having the tabs across the top and a tick/check to show all activities have been completed is a superb idea. A pure student-centric approach to useability issues big grin. Really, really good.

How modular is the code? When everything is tidy and released will I be able to just, say, add the new course format and one or two other things or will I have to 'upgrade' my install to moodlefn and/or change critical moodle files?

I don't really see the point in having an icon for an incomplete activity but did I say how much I liked the tabbed sections and checks? tongueout tongueout tongueout tongueout tongueout tongueout tongueout. Oh, allowing resubmission on an individual basis it also cool (was Mike C involved in the development by any chance? thoughtful)

(1) Formatting style (C) W Page surprise

In reply to Darren Smith

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
How modular is the code? When everything is tidy and released will I be able to just, say, add the new course format and one or two other things or will I have to 'upgrade' my install to moodlefn and/or change critical moodle files?

As much as possible, we've tried to keep all of the changes confined to blocks, themes, and the course format. There are some core file changes to support this (a few). Some things are tied tighter together than others (e.g. assigment module and marking block). So, I guess it will depend on what you want vs. what you don't.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Darren Smith -
What I really would like to get my hands on the most is the tabbed weeks and completed activity indication smile

by Don Quixote -
Fernando,

congrats! Looks very good approve

Cheers
Andreas

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Fernando,
this looks great.
What I see is a new course format, new blocks and changes in activities. Can I add this to an existing moodle installation or are there more changes that I must install a complete system?
Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Art Lader -
Hi, Fernando, great job. Really impressive.

I have approximately the same question as Ralf, though: Will this be available as several extensions to Moodle 1.X or is this more of a fork?

Thanks.

-- Art

by N Hansen -
Fernando-You are the Moodler of the Year in my book...now Moodle does everything I want it to do. This new online assignment is perfect! It is exactly what I have been looking for someone to create since I started with Moodle more than a year ago. And the ability to track what assignments are done or not is also very nice to have. And you say it makes it more useful for high school teaching-you're being too modest-this is going to be a good thing for adult education as well.

Will this be available for 1.5 later too?
In reply to N Hansen

by Ger Tielemans -

Nice these tabbed weeks: is this separate usabale as course format?

I see rounded corners while using IE, how did you do that?

We discussed the (confusing) red checkmark for OK instead of a green checkmark: how are the children reactions?

(Is it ready for download?)

by Fernando Oliveira -

Regarding above questions...

• was Mike C involved in the development by any chance?

Yes. Mike Churchward and I have been working on the MoodleFN customizations for the last few months. I put together the diagrams, Mike makes them come alive and then we throw it back and forth until all the pieces fall into place. None of this wouldve been possible without Mikes handiwork.   

• Can I add this to an existing moodle installation or are there more changes that I must install a complete system?
  • Will this be available as several extensions to Moodle 1.X or is this more of a fork?

The existing code was built on Moodle version1.4.4. The MoodleFN download can be installed directly over this version of Moodle. A complete download (Moodle 1.1.4 with MoodleFN already installed) will also be available.   

• Will this be available for 1.5 later too?

More than likely, though not until the Fall.

• I see rounded corners while using IE, how did you do that?
  • How modular is the code?

Youll have to ask Mike about these.

• We discussed the (confusing) red checkmark for OK instead of a green checkmark: how are the children reactions?

Ger, I think you have a point here. I too have been thinking about changing this and I also think that green is the way to go.

Cheers,

Fernando

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I see rounded corners while using IE, how did you do that?

Its a set of custom themes based on the standard Moodle colour themes. Each theme has a set of images to round the corners. It aslso requires a hack to the print_sideblock functions in the weblib.php file.

mike

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, lots of good work there.

Just FYI, Moodle 1.5 has a complete new Assignment module, and also includes it's own Online Assignment type (to replace the Journal module).

I hope we can get many of these modifications as plugins or in the main code base to avoid too much code forking.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by N Hansen -
Martin-Does the online assignment type for 1.5 allow the teacher to correct the assignment inline using the html editor?

by Vani A -
Hello Fernando,
I visited the demo site http://moodlefn.firstnationschools.ca/moodlefn_demo/demo/
and logged in as teacher. The development is really good.
In this I wanted one clarification, (I had posted earlier also in the course format- require help in customising header block.)
In this site You have given the links for "home".
In the course page if we enter in to any other page and click on "home" we come back to course home page, and in that page, the link is not there for "home" (at the left hand top corner).
And at the bottom of every page You have given link to site home page.
I am using moodle 1.4.3+ (2004083131) for our site. In our site I want to change the link of this "home".
Please can You help me in this regard.
Thanx in advance.
Vani A
In reply to Vani A

by Fernando Oliveira -

Hi  Vani,

Not sure if I understand your question, but the breadcrumb menu for the MoodleFN course format does not a link to site level. Moreover, in all courses, the base link is always the word "home", which brings the user to the starting page of the course.  A link to the site level is contained in the My Courses block.

Fernando

by Fernando Oliveira -

Hello everyone,

The download is now posted in the MoodleFN discussion site: http://www.moodlefn.firstnationschools.ca (registration is required).

Please post any bugs to this discussion site as well.

I look forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Fernando

by N Hansen -
Where exactly is this download? I don't find it in your forums.
In reply to N Hansen

by Darren Smith -
When you register and go into the course you will see a link in a block
In reply to Darren Smith

by Jo Oreo -

MoodleFN looks fantastic.  The course tabs and  activity tick boxes is fanatsitic - something I would love to add to my site approve.  I have just upgraded to 1.5 - will these features work on 1.5?

by Fernando Oliveira -

Hello all,

FYI: The new version (1.53) of MoodleFN is now ready. Testers are always welcome. The download, demo, and customization list are available here:

http://www.moodlefn.firstnationschools.ca 

Still some work to do, but all the custom functions are working.

Cheers,

Fernando

Svar: Re: MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

by Anders Berggren -
Couldnt view this:
Here I see the answers in only white (invisible) text:

Apart from these details (just for your information)
the Demo is indeed impressive stora ögon. An excellent example
of how you can adapt Moodle to your own established
work procedures. I'd love to download and try the demo
locally but should I do that if I run Moodle 1.6?
Congratulations! Anders
In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

by Fernando Oliveira -

Thanks Anders. Answers are now fixed. Where did you see that URL (http://http//moodlefn.firstnationschools.ca/sync/demo/mfn_doc/tree/ )?

BTW, this update isn't meant for version 1.6, just 1.53.

Fernando 

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

by Anders Berggren -
On this page:
I found this link:

Where can I see a list of all the MoodleFN customizations?
Click here.
going to:
This is how it should be:
There will be a 1.6 version, won't it blinkning ?
In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

by Fernando Oliveira -

..fixed. Thanks, Andres. I hope to eventually put out a 1.6 version, but not for some time.

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: MoodleFN Demo Site Now Open

by Anders Berggren -

Hi,

I suggest you announce the latest upgrade
in a new discussion so that it will be easier
for people to discover it.
Cheers, Anders