tex debug okay, but no image in posts

tex debug okay, but no image in posts

by Darlene Dralus -
Number of replies: 9
I've just installed Moodle for the private college prep school where I work.  I'm trying to get the Tex and algebra filters to work.  I found some useful information in this forum and now both my texdebug.php and algebradebug.php pages show everything working fine.  I get my images with no problems.

When I post a topic using the tex or algebra filter syntax, though, I get the image placeholder (the little square with the red x) instead of the image.  If I view source on the page, I see:

src="http://www.frapanthers.com/moodle/filter/tex/pix.php/verylongnumber.gif"
in the img tag.  I'm not sure what that is supposed to be, but there is no image there.  Any suggestions on where to go from here?

We're running Moodle 1.4.4 on Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6 and ActiveState Perl 5.8.4.

TIA
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darlene Dralus

Re: tex debug okay, but no image in posts

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
The problem is your slasharguments setting (in Admin->Variables).  On IIS urls like
http://www.frapanthers.com/moodle/filter/tex/pix.php/02c84304fc915c8941e3a5e070dd6fa1.gif
do not work.  You have to use the syntax
http://www.frapanthers.com/moodle/filter/tex/pix.php?file=02c84304fc915c8941e3a5e070dd6fa1.gif

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Darlene Dralus -
You are exactly right.  It's working great now.  I have some very happy math teachers.  Thank you.

by Aaron Mandel -
Darlene,

I am struggling to get Tex and Algebra filters to work on Win2k with IIS.  Can you enlighten me as to what you did to make it work in your enviornment.  I haven't found the answers in the forums here.  I think I am missing something on the server side.

Thanks in Advance.

Aaron
In reply to Aaron Mandel

Can you get images to display in texdebug.php?
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Aaron Mandel -

Here is the output from texdebug.php.  I have the filter set to active and I'm using the proper slashargument.  Not sure where I 've gone wrong.

1)  DB cache_filters entry for f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt not found

2)  Could not delete DB cache_filters entry for f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt
because it could not be found.

3)  Access is denied.
The shell command
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe ++ -e "d:\moodledata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" "\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt"
returned status = 1
File size of mimetex executable c:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe is 329728
The file permissions are: 100777
The md5 checksum of the file is 22ab85e080b00852d238074a9cf5f10d
Image not found!

by Aaron Mandel -
Darlene,

I am struggling to get Tex and Algebra filters to work on Win2k with IIS.  Can you enlighten me as to what you did to make it work in your enviornment.  I haven't found the answers in the forums here.  I think I am missing something on the server side.

Thanks in Advance.

Aaron
In reply to Aaron Mandel

by Aaron Mandel -
I was able to get it up and running the other day.  My problem was the file permissions mimetex.exe. 

Thanks for the help.   
In reply to Aaron Mandel

Since this question comes up repeatedly, could you be more explicit about how to set correct file permissions for mimetex.exe running under IIS? I note that in your post above, the debugger indicates that the file permissions on mimetex.exe are shown as 777, which under Apache would be sufficient. So what else do you have to do?