Language Pack error?

Language Pack error?

by Matt Shaul -
Number of replies: 11
Hi folks -

I have an oddity here that I believe is small, but I'm not sure how to correct.

On my 'Variables' page, many of the string descriptions are replaced with what I guess are the variable names - for instance: configfullnamedisplay.
About 16 are like this, including the last 8.

I don't know how long it's been like this, since when things are running smoothly, I don't visit this page often.  The last time I made any changes was when I upgraded the Chat module a couple of weeks ago.  At the time, I did upgrade the en and en_us language packs.

I assumed it was a language pack issue, so I installed the latest packs.  Unfortunately this made it worse, as nearly all of the strings on this page went missing.  I had saved the old en and en_us directories and have since moved them back.

The only strings that I find missing so far seem to be on the 'Variables' page.

Any idea how to clear this up?  I'd like to make things as clean as possible before any move to 1.5.

My system is:
RH Enterprise Linux
Moodle 1.4.3 + (20004083131)
php 4.3.2
apache 2.0.46

Thanks!
Matt

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Shaul

Re: Language Pack error?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What you are seeing is a small backward incompatibility problem in the language packs when using a 1.5 pack for 1.4. It's unfortunate but was necessary to reduce the language packs by about 20%.

It only affects the admin page, and it will all just start working properly when you upgrade to 1.5.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jon Westfall -

Would this be the same reason why I see variable names in all of my editor pop-up windows instead of the actual lines? Whenever I open any popup window from the editor I get a bunch of PHP code in the title bar, and rarely anything coherent in the actual page (i.e. buttons aren't labeled, labels appear as PHP printstring commands.)

Jon.

In reply to Jon Westfall

by Matt Shaul -
Jon -

I just double checked and my editor pop-ups appear fine.  So far it appears only on my Variables page.

Matt
In reply to Jon Westfall

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Is your language pack complete?
I could reproduce this error by ruining editor.php in the en language pack
In reply to koen roggemans

by Jon Westfall -

I just downloaded new language packs for en and en_us, with no luck.  It seems to happen to me no matter what language I'm using (I've played around with half a dozen selections in the language list, still have popups displayed incorrectly (i.e. full screen window is half white/half grey, etc..)

Someone Please Help!!!

In reply to Jon Westfall

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
The en_us uses en as parent language, so download a new en package and your problem will be fixed

by Jon Westfall -
As I stated, I downloaded en as well as en_us, and still have problems.  I also have problems with other language packs (just randomly picking from the list of languages then starting the editor).  Any other ideas?
In reply to Jon Westfall

by koen roggemans -
Strange.
Wich moodle version do you use?
  • 1.5 is still in developement you might have downloaded it on a bad moment. Download again is the sollution.
  • 1.4.x: Is it possible some files in your moodle installation are corrupt by an ftp-error during upload? This sometimes happens causing weird errors. In that case, delete all moodle files and updload them again (or use overwrite)

by Jon Westfall -

I'm using 1.4, and thought the files may be the issue as well. I deleted the directory and downloaded the latest stable release through CVS directly.  Still having the same problems.  Is it possible there is some setting in my httpd.conf or php.ini that is doing it? I changed all the recommended settings from the moodle install guide, but could there be something additional? It looks as though those popup pages just aren't being parsed by PHP.  I can go in there and assign a variable directly and it still won't show up.

In reply to Jon Westfall

by koen roggemans -
I haven't got a clue anymore.
Post your apache/php/mysql version and os. It might ring a bell at one of the fellow moodlers.