How do I add a review? ie in the plugins folders

How do I add a review? ie in the plugins folders

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 12

I am definitly logged in, no obvious buttons on the page, or links in the menus.  I must be missing something.

eg http://moodle.org/plugins/reviews.php?plugin=theme_decaf

-Derek
Sorry to post three times here in one day and clog up your in trays.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: How do I add a review? ie in the plugins folders

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Derek,

Although anyone can comment on a plugin, the ability to add a review is restricted to trusted people. Please see the discussion Reviewing plugins for details, and thanks for the reminder about making this info easily available, rather than buried in a discussion thread. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Derek Chirnside -

I missed this discussion Helen. 

What is a 'review'?  Is it "install, and review code" or is it functionality, and is it sort of detailed and comprehensive or "we loaded it and like  it" level etc?

I don't agree entirely with the notion of "Trusted reviewers", certainly if that is all there is, it's work for you (which I don't want) without that much return, and takes away from the community aspect.  I see that we generally have enough nous to check out the reliability of the critic that recommends (or not) the movies . .   Same with Plugins, only more so.  Or are you worried about those coming in with an ax to grind, and may post stupid stuff, in which case, point taken.

On the other hand, if trusted reviewers do start posting (and every trusted reviewer I know of now, ie Mary, is very very busy) I'd be happy.

The "review" I personally had in mind was more low key and end user.  I guess this could just go in the comments??

The reason I am interested in this marks a huge change in my thinking.  After waiting several years to get some critical aspects into the core (decent theme, useable format, navigation, reports, notifications etc), I have given up.  MoodleHQ is it seems trying to support plugins and contrib more rather than working on developing/enhancing core items further - along with other essential items like MUC.  I think plugins are the way to go to get our Moodles how we want, and this leads us to the questions: Which ones (like which formats, themes, reports . .)? Who is really going to be there for the long haul? Who will keep up with versions? and How to support plugin writers? (I'm looking at Kickstarter as an option here)

I will post in the Tracker.  No more posts from me today.  smile

-Derek

In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Helen,

As I've yet to see any reviews at all - is *anybody* actually trusted?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Derek Chirnside -

Howard, on a more thoughtful read of the thread here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=198922 I note that you are a reviewer, along with at least three others, with three more requests (Julian, Joseph and Frankie), the staus of which is unclear.

And to answer my own question, it is technical (able to install plugins) and comprehensive reviews we are looking for (see Anthony's post)

Maybe if I'd googled I'd have found the other post earlier.

Possible follow up action points:

1. make this information transparent in the plugins database.
  2. ask trustworthy people to review plugins
  3. have fun . . .   (and as Julian said, support contrib)

-Derek

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Wooh Hoo etc.

I've just found the 'write a review' button. Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair tongueout

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

That's weird - I thought Helen said higher up in this thread that you had to be a "trusted person" to be a reviewer... some mistake here surely...tongueoutevil

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -

Yes - she's clearly loosing the plot !!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I concur with Howard's question: have any plugins been reviewed so far? If so, which ones?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Helen Foster

by Derek Chirnside -

I'm back on this topic since we will need to do an upgrade in the next two months.

I'm in favour or as much information about plugins as possible being findable.

I've been meaning to make a tracker item to search by version supported by the plugin, so I don't waste so much time.

Reviews and stuff have not really taken off yet.  It is still hard to get feedback in many of the plugins.

-Derek

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As you can see from the links above, the reviews interface is currently under reconstruction and does not render nicely. For the same reasons, the UI for adding new reviews has been hidden temporarily as we are making some changes there.

What we would like to see in the future is a very open process of peer-reviews from the community members - both very informal (basically sort of "I like this" thing) and more detailed.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome!
In reply to David Mudrák

by Derek Chirnside -

David, some comments, but I really don't have clear thinking on this.

1. Not all reviews are the same.  What about a "submit for peer review" option, and an 'informal option'?
  2. The problem will be that some people would use this as a 'request for enhancements' platform.  Which may or may not be OK.
  3. Maybe a voting system as well . . .
  4. How to have a feedback mechanism to correct errors.

I'm really interested in comments like 

1. ease of use, clarity of interface, functionality.
  2. Robustness (ie someone who knows about code and such like)
  3. Responsiveness of coders.  Will the plugin be updated for new versions?

Not all that much help I know.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)