SCORM 1.2 content not displaying on Moodle - 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

SCORM 1.2 content not displaying on Moodle - 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello everyone,

Got a problem with a SCORM package from a staff member that is causing me some issues - because I just can't get it to work on any Moodle site. The SCORM package works fine on cloud.scorm.com

So I have a bunch of screenshots, version information, and the SCORM package itself.

SCORM is made in Oracle User Productivity Kit (UPK) version 3.6.1. When publishing the content as a SCORM package we choose we select the setting of SCORM Version 1.2 Refer to screenshot:

scorm settings

Uploaded to any Moodle site tested, the package looks like this, even with debugging on:

scorm

Uploaded to Cloud.SCORM.com, it looks like this:

scorm in cloud

These are the environment pages of SOME of the Moodle sites I tried it on:

Our production site:

production

Local sites (using XAMPP on a Mac):

Moodle 2.1

Moodle 2.2

Moodle 2.3

Also tested this on my site at www.dragonslair.co.nz/moodlelair which runs Moodle 2.2.4, and the SCORM package doesn't work there, either.

Help?

Ok, I can't upload the SCORM package because it is 3MB and the limit is 100KB, so here is a link to it on my dropbox.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

Re: SCORM 1.2 content not displaying on Moodle - 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Miriam,
first, a very complete request post wink: I'm supposing SCORM is regularly working in your environments, you tell about issues with "a" SCORM package i.e. you do not have problems in using slash arguments, being required to run Learning Packages in Moodle.

That being said, your package is a multi-specs one: it contains AICC, SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 1.3 (AKA 2004) descriptors - as well as the capability to route the tracking calls according with the environment found on the LMS. I do not have right now the time&opportunity to test the import and debug it on Moodle but as my first suggestion please remove output.* files from the archive, being those the AICC descriptors and try to republish it... even if I guess it should not solve your issue.

I'll deeply look at your package&Moodle in the next days, spare time permitted: I'm interested in letting Moodle play (most of the) Learning Packages fine.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Miriam - your SCORM package has an extra directory in the zip, SCORM 1.2 packages need to have the imsmanifest.xml stored in the root dir of the zip - if you extract the zip, re-zip it without the LMS directory it should work.

Normally SCORM would complain that the file wasn't a valid package - but I'm guessing when your package contains both AICC and SCORM descriptors Moodle gets a bit confused.

I'd guess Rustici's SCORM cloud is a bit smarter about this and probably strips out the top level LMS directory - I've thought about adding a patch to do this in Moodle but have never got round to it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Miriam,
just tested the import - using the amazing DnD shortcut! - on a Moodle 2.4dev (Build: 20120823), taking care of Dan's suggestion:

Test Import #1

It works as expected on my instance,
Matteo

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Miriam Laidlaw -

Thank you Dan! Extracting the zip file, highlighting the contents in the directory and compressing those directly, then uploading the resulting zip file - worked!

At least I can go back with a solution now which is more reasonable than "your SCORM packages just won't work on Moodle"!

Hugs and virtual chocolate fish all around.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

cool - we should really add some code that strips out the extra directory - but this is the first time I've heard of a package partially working like that and not throwing an error to say it can't find the manifest - Do you know if the packaging tool is the one that generates the SCORM zip or does it just export the package and require the user to manually zip themselves?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Hi Dan, sorry for the delay in my reply. The program (Oracle) they're using creates the zip file for them.

by Dan Marsden -

cool thanks, that's another good reason why we should really strip out that extra directory automatically - even if it's really a bug with Oracle creating invalid packages...

I've created MDL-35380 for this - will try to get it done before 2.4 freeze.