[BETA] Aardvark 2.3 Penguin

[BETA] Aardvark 2.3 Penguin

by Shaun Daubney -
Number of replies: 16

A beta for Aardvark 2.3 has been uploaded...

http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_aardvark

UPDATES
-----------------------

CORE
- Bye bye fishy
- Autohide disabled
- Optional gap between profile bar and content
- New icon for "Edit String"

PROFILE BAR / HEADER
- Add custom content to Profile Bar from Aardvark settings 
- Updated "My Files" URL

KNOWN ISSUES
-----------------------

CORE
- "Add activity/resource" window tucked under Profile Bar (2.3+)
- Profile Bar not visible on IE9 Compatibility Mode (Disable compatibility mode - set by default for intranet sites - to view correctly)

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-07-22 at July 22, 11.23.23 PM.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shaun Daubney

Re: [BETA] Aardvark 2.3 Penguin

by Shaun Daubney -

Oop's just noticed I forgot to update the screenshot in the zip file. I'll do it for the next BETA or stable release.

by Luís Rocha Graça -

Hello Shaun,

I am using the Aardvark 2.3 theme and totally enjoying it, nevertheless I am experiencing some problems regarding to the width of central block.  I have set the theme to Fluid mode, but some parts of a course appear with the horizontal scroll, specially in screen resolutions like 800X600 or 1024X768.

scroll1

Do you have an idea how I can surpass this obstacle? This also happens in the rss block, as you can see in the pic below.

scroll rssThank you so much for your help.

Luís

In reply to Luís Rocha Graça

by Shaun Daubney -

I've emailed you. If you let me have your URL I'll have a look for you.

In reply to Luís Rocha Graça

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

All the problems that I can see in your image here look like they are caused by ...

1. the center image is too wide for the actual area of your screen when in 1024 x 768 resolution. In a 100% fluid width in 1024 x 768 you have approx 1000px (eliminating the 24px of the normal vertical scroll bar) considering that the width of the side blocks are 2 x 210px + padding that leaves you with 560px less padding = 540px. So your image needs to be no bigger than 540px wide.
  2. RSS is likewise...so you need to adjust the width of the object in the code you add to the block. You may need to also add some styles for the RSS block. Here are some from another theme so you will need to change the colors, but the margins and padding should be OK...

.block_rss_client.description {
        color:#036;
        font-size:0.85em;
        padding-bottom:8px;
        padding-left:10px
     }
     .block_rss_client a:link,
    .block_rss_client a:visited {
        color:#dc188d;
        text-decoration:none
     }
    .block_rss_client a:active,
    .block_rss_client a:hover {
        color:#8d8d8d;
        text-decoration:none
     }
     .no-overflow {
         overflow:hidden;
         padding-bottom:1px
     }
     .block_rss_client .list li{
         border-top:1px solid #ddd;
         font-size:0.85em;
         padding:5px
     }

Hope this helps?

Mary

Re: [BETA] Aardvark 2.3 Penguin UPDATE 04 AUG 2012

by Shaun Daubney -
Aardvark 2.3 for Moodle
Codename: Penguin
Icons: Fatcow Hosting

UPDATES
-----------------------

CORE
- Bye bye fishy. Default background is a bluey blur
- Removing the default from Background Image now creates a blank background
- Font changed to Verdana
- Autohide disabled
- Optional gap between profile bar and content
- New icon for "Edit String"
- Underline removed from links
- New icons for Assignment modules and Hot Potatoes

PROFILE BAR / HEADER
- Add custom content to Profile Bar from Aardvark settings 
- Updated "My Files" URL

BLOCKS
- Padding reduced to (5px 2px)
- Margin between tree menu items improved

COURSE PAGES
- Added style for new "section per page" headers
- Replaced legacy td code with div code for Course Category styles

FOOTER
- Footerwrap extended to 100% for Fixed width
- CEOP Button available for UK and Australia

KNOWN ISSUES
-----------------------

CORE
- "Add activity/resource" window tucked under Profile Bar (2.3+)
- Profile Bar not visible on IE9 Compatibility Mode (Disable compatibility mode - set by default for intranet sites - to view correctly)

by Stephen Poynter -

I'm having a small issue I'm hoping someone may be able to help with.  I'm currently using this theme in fluid mode.  When I maximize the browser past a width of 1600 pixels (which happens to be the width of the default background image) I get white space on the left and right sides of the background (see attached image for example).  Any ideas on what I might be able to do to fix this?  I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks and have a great weekend...

Attachment aardvard_bg.jpg
In reply to Stephen Poynter

by Shaun Daubney -

I don't have a screen big enough to test this :/

by Stephen Poynter -

No worries.  Size isn't everything anyway tongueout.  If you notice my reply to Mary below, I ended up adding a repeat option in your background position drop-down list with it having a value of repeat-x.  I editted lib.php and settings.php as well as the language file too.  Thanks for making such a nice theme...

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You need to manually change the repeat property by making the background image repeat-x rather than no repeat. Either that or add a background colour to match your background. Indeed you may be better off just going for a flat colour anyway as a background image can use up a lot of download width.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stephen Poynter -

It's odd I created another image with the dimensions of 1920x400 (since my iMac has dimensions of 1920x1080) and that image doesn't even appear at all.  I may be going crazy or the cold meds are going to my head.  I'll see if I can find out where to stick the image repeat-x in the css files.  If I don't have any luck there I may be better off changing to a background color like you recommended.  In fact, I may go ahead and try that anyway and see how it looks.  Thanks for the help smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stephen Poynter -

Okay, that worked!  Adding repeat-x to the core.css worked great.  I actually ended up editting the settings.php and lib.php files in the theme directory to add an extra option to the background position drop-down list, this new option being repeat-x.  Anyway, thanks again for the help.

by Mary Evans -

That was an excelent thing to do. In fact it could be added into the theme.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Chapman -

Hi guys I know your really busy- just been customizing this theme- best theme for moodle out there at the mo!

do you think its possible to add the "search courses box" into the profile bar? - i imagine its possible- if so could someone point me in the right direction please smile

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

You could try looking at the renderers.php in the decaf theme. And also at the way the search bar is added to the awesomebar in that theme.

Once you discover how the search bar is created and how it is added in the layout/general.php all you would need to do is copy the basic information from that theme, and add it to the profileblock.php in the Aardvark theme.

You would need to add a renderers.php too.

There are links to the tutorials at the top of this page, if you take a look.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Chapman -

thanks mary, will have a look into it approve

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Chris Chapman -

just realised this is only the 'admin-settings' search- was after the 'course search' box found at the bottom of front page- however cant find a reference to it in aardvark-dafault or decaf (see snip)

Attachment search_courses.png