500 concurrent users on vitualization

Re: 500 concurrent users on vitualization

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi all

Simon wrote:
> Since moodle is a memory hog and memory is still expensive relative to disk and cpu, it makes sense to me to target ways of saving memory.

You can go shopping by car or steer a loaded garbage lorry. OK, you might meet the same delivery times by fixing a ship engine to the lorry and tuning it with Formula One technology, but you can't stop the devastation it will cause to the neighborhood.

In case the relevance is not clear, here is the boring explanation: The sensible place to optimize an application is the application itself not tuning, nor adding heavy iron. This is partly the old discussion of easy development vs. optimization. Optimization begins with the design. At the rate of new features coming up in Moodle since version 2, I can't think of a design in the conventional sense, it must be something "on the fly". Finally the agile release plan, also since version 2, made those problems to grow exponentially.

Sorry, I know, this is a moot topic, but can't help speaking out listening to people buying ship engines and doing Formula One tuning.