Rocket has been REWRITTEN for 2.3

Rocket has been REWRITTEN for 2.3

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 75

Hi All,

I have decided to start a new thread to make it easier to track reported issues for this new version of Rocket for 2.3

Rocket started off as an experiment to see just how far Moodle theme's could be pushed. And as such, the code started off in a bad state. Over the past months various fixes and many new ideas have been applied which in the end only made things even more convoluted. So, with moodle 2.3 released I have rewritten the theme from scratch.

The new version includes: 

• fix: variable width layout now works properly
  • fix: language strings updated
  • fix: multiple formatting issues on IE
  • new: ability to toggle on or off the autohide feature
  • new: ability to toggle on or off the new "edit mode" buttons
  • new: ability to change link colors
  • new: ability to override css directly from theme settings
  • new: cleaner custom login screen design
  • new: updated with full compliance for moodle 2.3
  • new: ability to set naming of drop-down to my courses, units, modules or classes
  • new: blocks can be added in "banner" location on the homepage
  • new: nicer formating of forums to better match Rocket style

Important Notes if Upgrading

If you are upgrading from a previous version I would strongly recommend completely deleting the old theme and then uploading this version as files have been deleted and renamed in the rewrite.

Where do I get it?

You can grab the new rocket from the Modules and Plugins DB by clicking here

Screenshots

Here are some samples of the theme running for you to view

Home Screen Course Screen
Login Screen Theme Options Screen
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Rocket has been REWRITTEN for 2.3

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Wonderful news Julian. A fantastic theme made even better for 2.3! smile

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Julian, appreciate all the work you have put into this - I love this theme and have it on my live site.  I upgraded there but had to downgrade due to various issues.  I went and loaded on my test site which is a brand new build as on yesterday and have found the following:

There is still an issue where you have to turn slash arguments off to get the logo and banner to load.  This was never necessary before 2.3.  Strange really but not a huge issue.  The My Courses page will not load at all - get the following error. "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Trying to reference an unknown block region side-pre." Dropdown links from the links bar at the top of the page are very buggy.  Most of the time you cannot click them at all - occasionally they work. This is in a clean build of 2.3 latest release (built yesterday) which did not have rocket installed before.  This is what I have found so far.  

Happy to help you test if that would help.  Keep up the great work - would love to get this upgraded on my live site as the new features are great!  Let me know if you need any screenshots, etc.

Emma

Found one more thing - when adjustable width is turned on, you lose the editing on toggle switch altogether. 

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Nano A -

Hi Emma, I had the same problem you had with the menu.

This will temporarily fix it.  Put this code in the CSS window in Rocket settings smile

ul.dropdown ul { margin-top: -1px;}

In reply to Nano A

by Julian Ridden -

Yes, the top margin was causing issues.

This has been fixed in an update I have just pushed through

J

by Nano A -

Hi Julian, I love your theme and would like to use it in 2 of my sites, it looks awesome! smile

Here are a couple of things I have found and Mary helped me to solve.

The top menu looses focus when you go down unless you do it really quickly.

Adding this line to the CSS fixed it

ul.dropdown ul { margin-top: -1px;}

So you are aware, there is also another problem in 2.3 with the new areas you have created for blocks... I tried to use the search/login area and that created that trying to go to '/my"  now gives me... 

'Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Trying to reference an unknown block region side-pre'

Mary said that this is a known bug in the system that is causing all custom block regions to fail. It is being addressed in MDL-33890 and the will be released soon.  This only happens in Moodle 2.3.

Unfortunately for now I can't use the theme on my sites because all the activities on both sites are SCORM activities created in Articulate presenter.  They should be setup to be seen 'in current window', but I can't seem to find a way to get the SCORM to show properly... 

Here is the thread where I explain it.  If you can think of something to fix this, I'd really appreciate it. smile

Thank you!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nano A

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Emma,

There is a problem still with the Moving BLOCKS they don't work in Moodle 2.3 yet. There is a problem with MDL-33890 where the bug fix for custom blocks is being hampered with conficting code in Moodle master branch. So it looks like the fix is not going to be in this weeks update. sad

The code error is probably caused in rocket/config.php where side-pre may have been left off the layout code in error. Check My dashboard in $THEME->layouts for something like this...

// My dashboard page
    'mydashboard' => array(
        'file' => 'default.php',
        'regions' => array('side-post','search'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-post',
        'options' => array('langmenu'=>true),
    ),

It needs changing to this...

// My dashboard page
    'mydashboard' => array(
        'file' => 'default.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post', 'search'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',
        'options' => array('langmenu'=>true),
    ),

by James Cracknell -

Hi

Any chance github could be updated so I could pull it from there?

In reply to James Cracknell

by James Cracknell -

Hi

If I go into a course I get this problem. I'll email you a screenshot of the menu...doesn't look right...

J.

Notice: Undefined variable: PAGE in
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle23\moodle\postgres\theme\rocket\renderers.php on line
185 Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in
185 Notice: Undefined variable: formclose in
187 Notice: Undefined variable: formopen in

by James Cracknell -

I also get Invaid Json string when I try to start a new post to a forum.  Using Aardvark or another theme no problem.

Looks like it is the new drag and drop block.

Additionally, the formatting when you post an article I feel could look tidier.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That's a Moodle bug I think it has been logged.

by James Cracknell -

Ignore my comment Re: github was having a senior moment...

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Anyone found a fix for the missing editing button in adjustable width mode?

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for reporting te issue. Now fixed.

You think you do all the testing, but with all these iterations of possible settings with Rocket it is hard to test them all. Please keep the reports coming in and Ill fix as fast as I can.

Julian (moodleman)

by Emma Richardson -

Thanks Julian - I have the new theme build working great on my fresh build but still having issues on my live site as noted below.  Want to wait to upgrade the live site for a couple of weeks if possible as I know the team are working out a lot of bugs right now with the core.

by Julian Ridden -

Thanks for the immediate feedback.

As the Genie would say, "your wish is my command".

All reported bugs in last 24 hours have been repaired and pushed out to both github and the database as Rocket 2.1.

Keep the bug reports coming. There should be a lot less now.

Julian (the code monkey keeping the Rocket in orbit)

by Nano A -

Thanks Julian!  Love your work! smile

This is more like a cry for help, rather than reporting a bug... 

Do you think your theme can do something about this issue that I'm having trying to display SCORM files 'in current window'?

Have you by any chance come up with this issue before?  Please see this other thread I started...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=205853#p897883 

It is the only thing preventing me to go live with my site... sad

by James Cracknell -

I've been testing again....love the theme now - afraid you are pulling me away from another one......I need to see how things look after the summer with each one.

Two bugs and a feature request

When upgrading a module - this appears (but only with rocket)
Notice: Undefined index: defaultregion in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle23\moodle\postgres\lib\outputlib.php on line 1228

My Moodle Page
Can not find layout file for: mydashboard
line 1198 of \lib\outputlib.php: call to debugging()
line 710 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to theme_config->layout_file()
line 146 of \my\index.php: call to core_renderer->header()

Could a box be placed around today's date in calendar to highlight it.

thanks

J.

by Emma Richardson -

Having the same issue on my live site.  Also, noticing that the docked items and sitting on top of the page content.  I have a fresh load of Moodle 2.3 latest on my test site and don't see any issues with that site - could it be something to do with an upgraded site or perhaps the latest moodle core upgrade fixes some of this?

We are so close and I so love this theme!!!

by Julian Ridden -

Hey J.

Your reported bug is fixed. I have also added your suggestion for highlighting the current day in the calendar as well.

JR

by Steven Smith -

Having the same problem on the file picker when I click Choose a File on the Restore page

Invalid JSON string

Notice: Undefined index: defaultregion in /home/mysite/public_html/lib/outputlib.php on line 1228 {"dynload":true,"nosearch":true,"nologin":true,"path":[{"path":"YTo2OntzOjk6ImNvbnRleHRpZCI7czoxOiIxIjtzOjk6ImNvbXBvbmVudCI7TjtzOjg6ImZpbGVhcmVhIjtOO3M6NjoiaXRlbWlkIjtOO3M6ODoiZmlsZXBhdGgiO047czo4OiJmaWxlbmFtZSI7Tjt9","name":"System","icon":"http:\/\/91.109.5.191\/~mysite\/theme\/image.php?theme=rocket&component=core&image=f%2Ffolder-24"},{"path":"YTo2OntzOjk6ImNvbnRleHRpZCI7czoxOiIyIjtzOjk6ImNvbXBvbmVudCI7TjtzOjg6ImZpbGVhcmVhIjtOO3M6NjoiaXRlbWlkIjtOO3M6ODoiZmlsZXBhdGgiO047czo4OiJmaWxlbmFtZSI7Tjt9","name":"Front page","icon":"http:\/\/91.109.5.191\/~mysite\/theme\/image.php?theme=rocket&component=core&image=f%2Ffolder-24"}],"list":[],"repo_id":1}

I wasn't sure if this was a moodle problem or theme problem but when I google "JSON" and "Undefined index: defaultregion" this is the only thread that appears and it's the same theme as I am running.

Google Chrome 20
Moodle 2.3.1
PHP Version 5.3.14
Rocket Version 2.1.1

Anybody an inkling why this is happening?

Many thanks

Steven

by Steven Smith -

Specifically I have followed this instructions from Mary Evans in a similar post

Go to Theme Seletor and choose another theme. Standard might be better as this is a stable theme.

Next remove Aardvark from the Theme directory.

Next go to Settings > Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches

Purge the cache by clicking on the button on that page. When the page reloads, click the button again, and when the page reloads again go back to your Home page, and test to see how Standard theme renders the page

I have tested with the standard theme and the error doesn't happen but it starts again when I reinsall rocket

I have also tried IE9 and Firefox too and both have the same problem.

In reply to Steven Smith

by Mary Evans -

The fix for moving blocks to custom block-regions has only just been added to Moodle 2.3.1.  I have not checked, but I think it is in the latest Weekly Download.

However Rocket still wont work unless you have the correct syntax written into the code for the block-regions.

Basically the  div id for the container should be the same as the new block region. So for the block-region called  "search" this is the way it needs to be written...

<?php if($hassearch) { ?>
            <div id="search" class="block-region">
                <div class="region-content">
                    <?php echo $OUTPUT->blocks_for_region('search') ?>
                </div>
            </div>
        <?php } ?>

Notice the $hassearh this also needs to be declared at the top of the layout file like so...

$hassearch = $PAGE->blocks->region_has_content('search', $OUTPUT));

All this needs to be done for all the custom block-regions in Rocket, like homeblock and toplinks although the toplinks is the only one that is almost correct.

I have not checked out the latest Rocket code yet...but if I find time I will.

And one last reminder...

You NEED to update your Moodle 2.3 to Moodle 2.3.1 and make sure it has the moodle/lib/YUI/blocks.js patch added.

Check version of Moodle it should be Build 2012071200.

Hope this helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Steven Smith -

Thanks Mary

Grabbing the latest weekly build fixed it!

I do seem to be experiencing a problem where the search/profile block is appearing at the top of my SCORM activities.

Anyone else having this problem?

In reply to Steven Smith

by Mary Evans -

Try right click "Inspect Element with Firebug" in Firefox and then tell me what you find. It may help find the cause and also a fix.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steven Smith -

Thanks for the continued help Mary. Here is what is seen in inspect element

In reply to Steven Smith

by Steven Smith -

Sorry to bump but does anybody have any idea how I can fix this?

In reply to Steven Smith

by Mary Evans -

Sorry,

My apologies, I seemed to have missed a few posts over the last couple of days.

Is the grey arrow and little white box in the CSS section of your image above, which I have highlighted in screenshot image (see below), something you added to the image or is that actually in Firebug that you can see? 

Did you change the #fff; which is in the original CSS for the theme, to "white"?
 Which is OK...I am just wondering why the arrow and the box? Where did they come from and how did they get there.

CSS

Apartfrom the oddity of the CSS what exactly IS the problem, they fact it is there at all?

Knowing how Dan Marsden sets SCORM up, I would hazard a guess and say it's probably caused by the fact the SEARCH block has been added to the BASE layout in the theme's config.php under $THEME->layouts as seen below...

$THEME->layouts = array(
    // Most backwards compatible layout without the blocks - this is the layout used by default
    'base' => array(
        'file' => 'default.php',
        'regions' => array('search'),
    ),

You could try and remove it, as it should not be there, and see what happens?

The amended code would then look like this...

$THEME->layouts = array(
    // Most backwards compatible layout without the blocks - this is the layout used by default
    'base' => array(
        'file' => 'default.php',
        'regions' => array(),
    ),

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steven Smith -

Hi Mary

Sorry for the confusion I wasn't using Firebug, instead I was using the built in Inspect Element tool in Google Chrome.

As you correctly surmised the problem is down the the fact that the block shouldn't be there at all as it is pushing down my scorm activities and causing me headaches with the popup sizing.

I have followed your advice and made the change to the theme/rocket/config.php unfortunately the block still exists.

Thanks again for your help

In reply to Steven Smith

by Mary Evans -

OK...in that case enable 'Show general  page information' (or similar wording) in Site Administration > Development > Debugging then tell me what page layout is being used. If it's a 'POP-UP' page layout then the same as you did for Base would need doing for pop-up layout in config.php....

// Pages that appear in pop-up windows - no navigation, no blocks, no header.
    'popup' => array(
        'file' => 'default.php',
        'regions' => array( 'search' ),
        'options' => array('nofooter'=>true, 'nonavbar'=>true, 'nocustommenu'=>true, 'nologininfo'=>true),
    ),

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steven Smith -

Hi Mary

No Dice I'm afraid. It seems that removing search from the popup array stops my scorm activity from appearing inside the popup window.

I made the change under debugging as suggested but I can't see anything new on the page to tell me what layout it is using.

Cheers

Steven

In reply to Steven Smith

by Mary Evans -

It should be in the margin of the page right at the bottom of the screen, just after the footer.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steven Smith -

Not my day it seems. Afraid it doesn't appear on any page. Cleared the cache just to make sure

In reply to Steven Smith

by Mary Evans -

If I were you I would use another CORE theme until such time as the problem with custom blocks has been fixed in Moodle 2.3

Try After Burner that works great with SCORM

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steven Smith -

Thanks Mary. You might be right.

Due to problems I am experiencing getting scores from a SCORM Object (New Window) to record I think I am going to revert to 2.2 for the time being.

Cheers

In reply to Steven Smith

by Mary Evans -

Would you mind doing me a favour? Could you report this problem in Moodle Tracker then Dan Marsden will get to look at the problem Set the componant to SCORM and Assignee to Automatic and Moodle version .2.3 & 2.4

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Steven Smith

by Julian Ridden -

That box is on all pages by design.

Some institutions put the "logged in user" block there and want it on all pages. Others add HTML blocks with help links, etc.

You would have to change a few elements of CSS in the header to removethis block. It is nota "bug" in my book but an intentional design element.

Sadly I realise not everyone wants it, but asa theme designer I cant cater to all. The amount of options in rocket tries to a degree...but it cant be perfect.

Julian

by Steven Smith -

Hi Julian

Thanks for the information. I now understand why it appears but currently such a position doesn't suit my purposes.

Could I ask what CSS changes you would make to remove it from SCORM pop up pages without removing it from front page and course pages?

Rocket is an awesome theme so thank you!

Steven

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

Thanks for the update on the fix Mary.

I will update Rocket over the weekend to meet the new Syntax requirements.

Julian

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

Mary's minor patch has now been buiolt into the latest Rocket found on github.

JR

by Mary Evans -

There are still Major problems with the Custom block regions Julian I've created MDL-34496 to track it . Sam is assignee as it looks like its going to need a rewrite of the dock.js

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Julian Ridden -

Thanks Mary,

Not that I have much to add, but I have at least added my voice to the ticket

JR

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

Me too. I do hope it is fixed soon. It's putting a real damper on my theme creation, since I'm just itching to use these extra block areas in new and exciting ways. wink Well, exciting to me, anyway.

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Emma Richardson -

You have selected adjustable width - this takes the course pages and expands them to match the display settings on the computer you are on.  You can change it back to Fixed Width in the Rocket settings page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

In reply to Deleted user

by Julian Ridden -

Hi Lisa. 

Be sure to grab the latest version as this has been fixed already. 

JR

In reply to Deleted user

by Julian Ridden -

Fix for the screenshot you displayed has now just been pushed to github and the plugins database. Should now look fine.

Thanks for reporting.

JR

by Emma Richardson -

Wow - thanks for all the work on this.  Good enough to go live now!  Still getting the error on the course page but I believe that is the one that Mary said was a Moodle bug.  The only other thing I am seeing is that the dock is covering the side of the page still in adjustable width.  Screenshot below.  

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 8.29.44 PM.png

by James Cracknell -

I forgot to add - neither the logo and banner is appearing on mine.

http://features.demo.moodle.com.au/

isn't rendering correctly too.

by Julian Ridden -

James I can say that what you have described is definitly NOT a bug.

Have you set a banner and logo in settings?

Have you purged caches?

This has been tested on 6 sites so far and all are rendering those two elements for me on all browsers

The Features.demo site is in the middle of a bunged upgrade to 2.3. Should be running again soon.

J

by Kyle Smith -

I'm not getting the logo rendering on the latest version either (worked fine on the previous one).  And yes, have flushed/cleared caches!

Getting close!

In reply to Kyle Smith

by Emma Richardson -

I had the same issue with the logo and banner.  Turning off slash arguments under http settings fixed it.

by Marcy Beck -

Thank you, Emma!!! Just installed Rocket and I LOVE it, but this was driving me nuts in Firefox! :D

by R. Johnson -

James:

How were you able to populate the grey custom block to the left of the banner in your http://features.demo.moodle.com.au/ site given the problem with drag-and-drop and custom blocks presently with 2.3 and 2.3.1?

Thanks,

-Rurik

In reply to R. Johnson

by James Cracknell -

Create a HTML block.  Then select it to be in the right place under the config options.

J.

In reply to R. Johnson

by Julian Ridden -

Sadly you can cannot click and drag into cutsom block locations. Instead you have to click on the "edit" icon for the block and you can then allocate the region there.

As mentioned, you can add a html block to that area and add whatever you like smile

Julian

by Nano A -

Hi Julian,

How do I get the login square you have in your screenshots for users to see before they log in?

I have added Logged in user block to the left and I can see it when I am logged in but it's not there when I log out.

It's setup like this

In reply to Nano A

by Julian Ridden -

What you are seeing is not a block at all but the login screen. 

To enable this for all user turn on "force users to login" in the Moodle admin settings

Julian

by Sophie Lorenzo -

Hi,

I am currently testing Rocket on version 2.3.1. I have a display problem on IE while Firefox and Chrome result is alright. For example when I put the blocks in the dock or the page width.
Does anybody have the same problem?

Attachment dock_rocket_IE.PNG
In reply to Sophie Lorenzo

by Mary Evans -

Just to reiterate what I have been telling other Moodlers who use custom themes with moving blocks. There is a problem with Moodle 2.3 & 2.3.1 at this moment in time.  So please can you bear with us as we try to rectify the problems.

Thank you

Mary

by Angel Pérez -

Dear Julian,

I think it's a great theme. I have installed it in a Moodle 2.3 version , but you can not select it because the platform is blocked. When I uninstall it, everything returns to normal.

I appreciate your help. Thank you very much in advance.
Greetings from Spain

Angel

by jonnym m -

Hello 

Ive upgraded to 2.3 and Im getting a strange error.

When I try to change buy using the "Change Theme" button I get sent to an error page.

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfil the request.

I wasn't getting this in 2.2.  

When I delete the rocket theme folder then it works as it should.

Any clues??

Thanks for any help

jonnym

In reply to jonnym m

by jonnym m -

I've found the problem and its down to perrmissions and chmoding.  I was unzipping on my desktop and FTPing it and it was not working, even when I set the chmod correctly.  

Uploading the zip file to the server and unzipping using cpanels file manager worked.

Anglea this is probably your issue to.

thanks

Jonnym

In reply to jonnym m

by Julian Ridden -

Great to hear that you got it resolved.

JR

by jonnym m -

Thanks Julian.

Love the Theme, I was just about to start designing a theme until I found yours...excellent work.  Where is the like button??

jonnym

by Salvador Cabusi -

Hello Julian,

I like your theme and plan to use it for our student site.  The theme looks very good when viewed with iMacs and Windows and with the firefox, explorer, and chrome browsers.  But I when viewed my test site with this theme on an ipad, the background color (on fixed width setup) on the right side of the page does not appear.  But when I  viewed your demo site (features.demo.moodle.com.au), I noticed that the right side of the page (where the banner ends) flushes to the side of the ipad, except for the small section of the  blue background color above the top menu bar (right above ALL COURSES), and the gray backgroud color on the footer section.  I would like (at least) my test site to appear as your demo site.  How did you configure your site with to work ipad?

BTW: I have installed the latest download from the moodle site.

Thanks,
Sal

by Steve Prud'Homme -

Hi,

at my school board we don't have FTP access. Only an administrator access to Moodle. It is possible to fix or delete the HTML Bloc below the logo (we don't need it) with the custom CSS.

Thanks

In reply to Steve Prud'Homme

by Juan Pablo Miranda Aguayo -

Hi Seteve,

I don't know much about Moodle or Rocket theme but I'm using both of them on a website.

Answering your question, I don't think so. But you can use that area for putting some links to other websites, mail adresses, etc.

For instance I've placed a flash banner on a html block into that area.

Regards

Thanks a lot Julian and Mary