Drag & Drop with IE

Drag & Drop with IE

by Gordon McLeod -
Number of replies: 14

Hi,

I've just installed 2.3 on my test server and have to say I love the drag & drop feature - it's going to make adding content to courses (and assignments) much easier. Unfortunately, although I've found it to work perfectly in Firefox, any files I drag to the browser in IE are opened in the browser by default.

Does anyone know how this can be switched off - and can it be done from Moodle rather than on the computer? I did come across a website that mentioned adding a line of code to webpages -

"< body ondragover="return false" >< /body >"

- but before I start hacking a new moodle install I wanted to check if it might be something in our IT settings that's causing the issue, as the 2.3 release notes say d&d works and don't mention the IE issue (which had been discussed in earlier posts about the functionality).

Thanks, Gordon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gordon McLeod

Re: Drag & Drop with IE

by Alex Walker -

Just to add, I've found it to work on the latest versions of Google Chrome and Firefox, but not Safari or IE.

In reply to Alex Walker

by David Hallam -

From what i userstand it does not work in any current versions of IE at the moment. At our college we also use ie9 as it is controlled via active directory so we can not use the file drop at the moment.

I think it is because if you look at the HTML5 compliance of ie9 File API is not supported and i think this is what it uses.

Hopefully IE10 will support this but microsoft has no relese date of yet. i assume it will be around October with the relese of windows 8.

Good old microsoft keeping ahead of the curve, makes you laugh as firefox supports so much more and you dont even have to pay for it.

In reply to David Hallam

by Gerrard Shaw -

Was just about to post about the same issue!

Looks like we'll be using Google Chrome (controlled with ADM templates) as our main browser next year as the drag & drop makes it so much easier for tutors.

In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Álex González -

I'm having the same issue.

Is there a way of downgrading or changing the upload file plugin to an older one (with Moodle 2.3.1), to a less beautiful version but compatible with Internet Explorer?

Thanks.

Regards,

Álex

In reply to Álex González

by llywelyn morgan -

unfortunately, drag and drop has never worked with ie so this wouldn't solve the problem

In reply to Alex Walker

by Cameron Penna -

Actually works in Safari 6 but not Safari 5 which was reported in another thread.

In reply to Gordon McLeod

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's a big part of me that wants to say "well get everybody to use Firefox then!!" However, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the drag-and-drop stuff should not be displayed on browser for which it is incompatible. A bug report in the tracker perhaps?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Chris Scurrah -

I've just installed Internet Explorer 10 Preview Version on a 64 Bit Version of Windows 7 (Preview version was released today 13/10/2012) and the drag and drop feature in Moodle 2.3.3 works fine.

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Info/Downloads/Default.html

I have no idea when Microsoft intend to release the official version of IE 10 for Windows 7 but it does come with Windows 8 as standard

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Chris Scurrah

by Chris Scurrah -

Did some more testing with IE10 Preview Version on Windows 7 and although the drag and drop file feature works, the 'Settings/Site Administration' sub menus don't work after you've clicked on one of the settings pages, they only work from the frontpage sad

In reply to Chris Scurrah

by Nick Varney -

We managed to get drag and drop to run in IE10 in school only when we cleared all cookies and cache?

(Just to add I've found some issues with SCORM in IE10).

However I have exactly the same IE10 preview browser running on my W7 laptop at home and I can't for the life of me get drag and drop to work? Very confused.

In reply to Nick Varney

by Daniel Phillips -

I've installed the preview version IE10.  Everything seems to work fine, including drag and drop upload, and all the Settings/Admin block sub menus work as expected.

We are using a custom theme here and worked with theme developers to make sure our theme was 2.3 compliant.  I am not sure if that made a difference.

Staff here at my place and including me love Moodle 2.3.  We are planning for an upgrade early Decemebr 2012 ready for a Semester One start Feb. of 2013.

Cheers
Dan

In reply to Daniel Phillips

by Nick Varney -

Got drag and drop working for a few seconds in IE10 preview, then stopped working. Hmm

Has anyone tried the Chrome Frame plugin in IE9 and whether this allows drag and drop?

In reply to Nick Varney

by Nick Varney -

Is there an open tracker for IE9 and drag and drop? It's not been fixed in Moodle 2.5 alas sad