"complete activity report" for students

"complete activity report" for students

by Keith Landa -
Number of replies: 16

We are running Moodle 2.2.3 (Build: 20120514), and I am having trouble finding a useful feature from our previous Moodle 1.9.16.

In Moodle 1.9, I could get a listing of all of a student's activity in a course listed on one page, their actual postings in each forum, the text of their online text assignments, links to their upload a file assignments, etc, organized by course module.  I did this by going to the Participants list, clicking on the name for a student, clicking the Activity Reports tab, and then clicking the Complete Report link.

If I go to the Participants list in 2.2.3 and set the User list to User details instead of Brief, I see a link for Activity along with Blogs, Notes, Login as, etc.  When I click on the Activity link though, all I get is a list of today's log entries, and a graph of hits each hour for today.  This looks like the 'Today's logs' option for Activity reports from Moodle 1.9, but I don't get an option for Outline Report, Complete Report, All Logs, Statistics, etc that were available under Activity Report for a student in 1.9.  I hope these student activity reports were not left out of Moodle 2, as they were very useful in assessing individual students.  I don't see anything comparable in the Navigation block, just full course reports like the Participation report and the Activity report.

I noticed in Moodle 1.9, the url for the individual student activity reports has the following format: http://....../moodle/course/user.php?id=xxxx&user=yy&mode=zz, where zz can be 'outline', 'complete', 'today', 'alllogs', 'stats', or 'grade'.  Clicking on Activity for a student in 22 goes to ..../moodle/log/user.php?id=yy&course=xx&mode=today.  When I try to replace 'today' with 'complete' or 'outline', nothing happens, I still get the Today report for that student in my course.

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Keith Landa

Re: "complete activity report" for students

by Keith Landa -

I just found the 'complete activity report' for a student within a course, using ..../moodle/report/outline/user.php?id=xx&course=yy&mode=complete.

Is there any path my faculty can use to get to the complete activity reports for each of the students in their classes, since most are not going to want to manually type in urls like these, especially when they would need to manually get the Moodle IDs for each of their students to enter into the URLs?

Thanks.  kl

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Keith Landa

by Susana L. -

We have exactly the same need. This is a very important feature. Teachers use it to assess students.

In reply to Susana L.

by Mr. Marc -

We too would like it in a link for instructors or admins to have access to?

In reply to Keith Landa

by Susana L. -

H Keith,
Thanks to your post I verified that you can get in moodle2 the same user reports of moodle 1.9.

moodle 1.9 ::: moodle 2

outline report ::: report/outline/user.php?id=xx&course=yy&mode=outline
complete report ::: report/outline/user.php?id=xx&course=yy&mode=complete
today's logs ::: report/log/user.php?id=xx&course=yy&mode=today
all logs ::: report/log/user.php?id=xx&course=yy&mode=all
grades ::: grade/report/user/index.php?id=y&userid=xx

And now... does anyone know how teachers can access to all these reports?? smile

thank you,
susana

In reply to Susana L.

by Susana L. -

To avoid using the navigation menu we created links to all reports on user/view.php (very similar to 1.9) smile

In reply to Susana L.

by James D -

As an administrator in Moodle 2.2 we can see these reports. However, in Moodle 1.8 students were also allowed to see at least the Complete report. Now in 2.2 the students are no longer able to see all of the items on the Complete Report, only the autograded ones. Any item that is manually graded, i.e.: Essays etc, does not show on the students view. We have speculated that something was broken in Moodle in the upgrade but cannot discover what. Any Ideas?

You can see an example of what I am talking about in another post.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=203306

In reply to Susana L.

by Manuel Cervantes Acuña -

H. Susana L.

Thanks you for your post. It was so useful for me.

Message between two users:

http://url_moodle/message/index.php?user1=“user1”&user2=“user2”&viewing=unread&history=1

Reports:

http://url_moodle/report/outline/user.php?id=“user id”&course=“curso”&mode=outline

http://url_moodle/report/outline/user.php?id=“user id”&course=“curso”&mode=complete

http://url_moodle/report/log/user.php?id=“user id”&course=“curso”&mode=all

http://url_moodle/report/log/user.php?id=“user id”&course=“curso”&mode=today

http://url_moodle/grade/report/user/index.php?id=“curso”&userid=“user id”

Manuel

In reply to Keith Landa

by Jamie Tinley -

We need an easier way for teachers to get logs. In 1.9x it was intuitive to click on the student and then click on logs.  

For anyone interested, here are my FAQ for teachers and admins. Hopefully it helps someone.

For Admins: 

click site admin/reports/logs
select course
*** click get these logs! it reduces student list.
NOW find student (click more if needed, that was not obvious) and you'll only have a few students to choose from not 2000!
select date
again click get these logs. Done smile

FAQ: Student Logs

sometimes you need to know details about a student in your course which is recorded in the logs.

Here's how:

Under the Navigation heading:
1. Expand my courses (not ALL courses or you will have to scroll WAY down!) until you see your course
Inline image 1
2. Expand your course (see pic below)
3. Expand Reports then click on logs 
Inline image 2
4. In this new screen, select a specific student and date (see pic below)
5. Click 'Get These Logs'
Inline image 3

In reply to Keith Landa

by Susana L. -

When visiting th user page, go to:

Courses --> Participants  --> Activity Reports  -->(All the reports)

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=204114#p890173

In reply to Susana L.

by Arunkumar Arun -

Hi Susana,

Is there a way to provide a teacher to have access Courses --> Participants  --> Activity Reports  -->Grade in moodle 2.7. For now we dont have access to grade option under Activity Reports.

But the same Grade(Courses --> Participants  --> Activity Reports  -->Grade) option could be accessed by a teacher in moodle 1.9.

Thank You,

Arunkumar

In reply to Keith Landa

by James D -

We have been having a problem with the Complete Activity report as well. In Moodle 1.8, the assignment grade displayed on the complete report but in Moodle 2.2 it does not display unless you are an administrator. If you look at the PDF attached you will see what I am referring to. So our students cannot use this report as before unless we increase their role to allow grading. And of course you cannot give the student the ability to grade.

A programmer friend suggested that there is code in PHP behind the scenes instead of a setting in Moodle that was changed that affects this. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

In reply to James D

by Paul Raper -

I fully agree, there needs to be a far more intuitive way for teachers, not just admins, to be able to get to the logs of student activity in a course.

I have spent hours looking for plugins etc. to cut down this work.

In this respect, 1.9 was far easier to use than 2.X.

So far, looking at 2.5 it doesn't look as though this issue has been addressed, any chance of putting it on the agenda's todo list?

Thanks,

Paul

In reply to Paul Raper

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Paul

A student can check the complete report from Navigation > My courses > Course name > Participants > Student > Activity reports > complete report in moodle 2.x

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sakshi,

That is not the problem at hand. We want to find out how an admin or a teacher can access those "complete activity reports", not how a student can access them.wink

I can't believe that this very useful feature of Moodle 1.9 has not been carried over to Moodle 2 since it came into existence.sad

See MDL-26889.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Craig Brookins -

It is amazing that this feature has been removed and very frustrating. I need those reports to be able to submit progress updates for my students. We are able to report when the student stopped logging in or how often they logged in and I am now unable to do so. Big BUG!

In reply to Craig Brookins

by Leo Adler -

Hi All

We were trying to work this out as well, in our case because the summary report for the course as a whole was dropping participants off. We accessed this report using the following steps:

Log into course as Admin (I am guessing that access depends on the rights assigned within your system eg teachers/non-editing teachers etc')

Click on Participants in the Navigation block

Click on the participant of interest in the participant list that comes up to access the relevant report

The students name should now appear in the Navigation Block

Click on Activity Report (One of the options available under the student’s name)

Choose the type of report you want

Hope this help smile