linked file updating problem

linked file updating problem

by Philippe Decloitre -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I am using html files (HOTPOT) but it's of secondary importance. This not a HOTPOT question.

These files have linked images or video (serving as background or realia).
Sometimes I want to change these files but not the html one. So the HTML simply summons them with a simple line such as [/image/image01.gif].

I've tried to overwrite such images to see how Moodle would behave.

Stangely whether it be in the obsolete course file system, or placed "within the activity" or using Dropbox, when I modify the file, I see no change when launching the activity.

I have cleared the Moodle's cache, my browser's cache, even my glasses, not no avail! I remain with the first image I uploaded.

How can I have instant modification?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philippe Decloitre

Re: linked file updating problem

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have something similar submitted by a teacher today. We are running 2.2. The change in a link doesn't seem to take effect for the teacher.

Anyone with the same issue?

In reply to François Lizotte

by Patrick Verguet -

Yes, I just spent a couple of hours fixing a similar problem on 2.3.

I have audio files linked to a HotPot-generated html file. All the files (not aliases) are dropped in the hotpot activity edit window.

I am using the hbs_mp3_player3.swf (which I had been using in 1.9 and which allows me to duplicate a file and just manually substitute files to create a new exercise - this would not work with the new core-embedded audio player I found).

All I have to do after creating the activity is open the Moodle-generated sourcefile, get the address of the files (with some specific number), reintroduce that number in the address of the audiofile in my sourcefile and reupload it.

Everything works fine but I realised there was a glitch in my audio file. So I updated the audiofile on my computer, dropped it and accepted "Overwrite". Except it would still play the old file!

In fact it would keep playing the old file even when I deleted the file from the files window...surprise I had to change the link and the name of the file to solve the problem.

This happened to me three times by chance with audio, and, if I remember correctly, once with a gif file. I have not tried to reproduce the error.

From a discussion somewhere else, I understand that the files are not physically where they seem to be but stored away in a huge database, which for some reason Moodle doesn't think it has to update.

Could it have something to do with the Hotpot implementation?

More light welcome!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Patrick Verguet

by Philippe Decloitre -

Greetings to all,

I have something of a similar problem,but with different resuts, on the demo.moodle.net  which I described here (MDL-36133):

MDL-36133?focusedCommentId=184261&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-184261" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">DIRECT LINK: impossible to update a linked file

If you have found the same issue, it would not be a bad idea to vote on it or at least "watch" it (in the "more action" tab) so as to have it "stand out", it being an essential bug.

On the other hand it may just be that I have overlooked something (though I have run the operation several times with the same results)...

Cheers

In reply to Philippe Decloitre

by Philippe Decloitre -

Just a word to express my congratulation to those who worked at the alias/shortcut task.

It's now running in a superb way!

Moodle 2.3+ has become THE tool for e-learning!

Philippe