Repositories and who can access them

Repositories and who can access them

by Lynn Hadfield -
Number of replies: 6

Like many others, I'm just being confronted with the realities of the new file management system.  I'm not sure what SHOULD be happening but I'll explain what IS happening and if there's a way to change it. (Version 2.2)

1.  Teachers can NOT access server files despite the role permissions set for:

view server repository ALLOW

When they try to access the server files they get a 'no permission to access this repository' message

2.  Many of our courses have been moved from 1.9 and include Legacy Course Files.  Teachers also get the same 'no permission' message to access these files in the file picker despite being able to access them in the course itself (under course administration block)

SHOULD teachers be able to access these files from the file picker in order to link to a file? Are there any settings that will allow this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lynn Hadfield

Re: Server files access

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Lynn,

It seems from MDL-32636 that access to server files is not what you would expect. MDL-31675 has recently been fixed for Moodle 2.3 (due for release next month) i.e. files used in forum, glossary and database activities are not available via the server files repository in Moodle 2.2.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Lynn Hadfield -

Well that's even MORE confusing.  As site admin I can access all the server files, but that still leaves me wondering what this is actually referring to then: "view server repository ALLOW".

So if a teacher uploads a graphic in an assignment, and wants to link the same graphic in another assignment, would they have to upload it again?  How would they link it a second time without access to the server files (assuming it's not in the 'recent files' area)?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Lynne - have you tried setting the permission for authenticated users to "view server repository" to ALLOW? (I presume you set it for teachers) Yes, they should be able to go to another course and find the graphic they uploaded via server files and then bring it into the new course. Also - unless they have uploaded over 50 files in the meantime, it should be available in their recent files area anyway.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lynn Hadfield -

I didn't set this for teachers - it was the default.  I'm a bit reluctant to change the permissions for all authenticated users though.  In the meantime I've given our teachers the "Manager" site role so they can access ALL the necessary files. (They also need that role to access a few other features.)

by Rosario Carcò -

Pleasse see also my confusion here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=200616#p878849

This may help shed light on that issue?

Rosario

In reply to Rosario Carcò

by Lynn Hadfield -

Just wanted to add for future reference that once we upgraded to 2.2.3, teachers are able to access server files from their own course, but no other courses.