German Moodle-conference in Berlin

German Moodle-conference in Berlin

by André Krüger -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers

Today was our Moodle-conference with 120 Moodler's at Humboldt-University in Berlin.
We have a great meeting with interesting presentations and discussions.
Here are a pic from beginning.

Berlin1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to André Krüger

Re: German Moodle-conference in Berlin

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Congratulation, Andre!   Is this not the largest Moodle gathering ever?  Can you give us a link to the conference list of presentations and workshop?  I hope you can make more postings here.   We are watching with great interest.  smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by André Krüger -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Don,

I don't know if this was the largest Moodle meeting, but I'm very happy that it took place yesterday. The list of presentations you can find here. We will publish all presentations in a couple of days.

I will try to write down a short summary in english.

André 

In reply to André Krüger

by Gisela Hillenbrand -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Andre,

are the presentations published now?
I only found the presentation by Ralf Hilgenstock on his homepage.
What about the others?

greetings, Gisela
In reply to André Krüger

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is probably a photo from while they were waiting for me to show up for the video conference that I'd forgotten about in the midst of a busy afternoon! surprise surprise surprise blush blush  Sorry again, I feel terrible! I tried to connect later but couldn't get through.

Anyway, I'm glad the day went so well otherwise!!

What sort of presentations did you have? If someone has time for a quick summary in English that would be very much appreciated.
In reply to André Krüger

by Art Lader -

Two years ago I spent a month at a well-know Gymnasium in Nürnberg. Almost no one would even talk to me about Moodle. Everyone who saw it was impressed, but the consensus was that Moodle would never catch on in Germany.

They told me that there was a deep distrust of open source software and had a hundred other reasons why Moodle was not for them. But I knew that Moodle would be a big hit in Germany! I knew it! I knew it! I was right! I was right! Yay for me! (Oops, I mean, Yay for Moodle!)

MfG,
Art in Aiken

In reply to Art Lader

by werner mülders -
Hi Art,

you are right! The german-speaking moodle-tribe is growing day by day
approve

Werner
In reply to werner mülders

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Martin & Art,

I've just come back from Berlin. The conference was great. I enjoyed meeting the German community. It's nice to know that we are definitely on the right track. Martin, I don't know how to thank you  for inventing Moodle - it has made our life as teachers much easier. I hope more German schools will use Moodle. There is still a deep distrust of using elearning platforms at schools, but I think you are right, Art, slowly but surely we are getting there (our school for sure, thanks to your help).

We'd also like to thank Andre and Dag for organizing the conference. You did a great job.

Ulrike, Stephanie and Ina                                                    

-three dedicated Moodlers from the Max-Hachenburg-Schule Mannheim

(www.mhs-solo.de)                             

In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

by Art Lader -
Ulrike,

Wish I had been there with you!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by S. Fieler -
Perhaps a short note to moodle@German schools, as this ist the field I'm working on in Bavaria.
I think the problem is not the distrust in OpenSource-Projects at school site, its the problem in structures of the school system.
I demonstrated Moodle at the Mib-Conference. Mibs in Bavaria are teachers especially educated for bringing new Medias to school. Its an extra study for bavarian teachers. Most of them were thrilled by moodle.
Later I got reactions like:
The official site responsible for the school, especially for money supply and equipment (I do not know the Englisch word, for the Germans hier: Sachaufwandsträger) caused difficulties. Some city governments told the schools they did not want to have an OpenSource platform on their server - some schools must host their Webspace on the city governments webserver. From another city I got feedback, that they took MS Class Server, as they do not trust in something that does not cost anything.
Ok, these stubburn minds are luckily seldom. The biggest problem is the lack of time. In Germany the teachers must do such activities besides their normal job. Just as example:
For the administration of 156 Computers in two networks at school I get 90 minutes time per week and I did not get any training for this job. As the state cuts the times for special works more and more (eg. my time for doing Mib-Works from 10 to 6 hours a week but the number of teacher I have to train increased form 750 to 870), but the special works need more and more time, more and more teachers do no longer do such special works. And this is not only in Bavaria like this, it is in whole Germany.
So a lot of teachers like moodle, but they say, they do not have time for administrating it and because of the mood resulting for demanding more and more by cutting time because of cutting the money for schools, they are no longer ready for extra work.
There are still some doing it nevertheless, but these people get less and less.

Greetings from Bavaria,
Susanne
In reply to S. Fieler

by Art Lader -

So a lot of teachers like moodle, but they say, they do not have time for administrating it and because of the mood resulting for demanding more and more by cutting time because of cutting the money for schools, they are no longer ready for extra work.

Sigh... This is partially true in South Carolina, too. The requirement to do more and more and more and more is becoming demoralizing for many teachers. And our idiot governor is so hostile to the public schools that he wants to pay parents to home-school their children.

I guess it could be worse. President Bush has not yet called us faule Säcke. I suppose I should be grateful.

On the bright side, Susanne, it looks like I might be spending three or four weeks in Kulmbach this summer. Not too far from you. And not that far from Ulrike Montgomery, either.  I can't wait to be back in Germany. smile

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by D.I. von Briesen -

Pay to home school? Whoopeee!!!

I have five kids and that would allow me to hang out and moodle from home!

Art- how far from Charlotte are you?
I figure between Bryan and You I've got little excuse for us all getting together at some point, though my ambitious plans of a moot here over the spring have faded...

d.i.

In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by Art Lader -

Pretty darned close... If I leave after breakfast, I can be there before lunch.

Bryan?

-- Art