Private file sizes on Moodle server

Private file sizes on Moodle server

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 2.2+

Is there a way to find out how much disk space users are using with their private files?

Plus:  Here is a page from Site Admin > Reports > Course size

What do the figures mean?

1. The sum of all the individual courses is tiny compared to the "Total size"  I presume the rest is private files. 
    But what if a video clip is uploaded three times (ie is once in the database and linked to three courses) then where is this size counted?
  2. Lets say three students upload a file of 40 Meg and it is stored once.  Where is this counted?  In each person's allocation I presume, but where is it them reported to the admin? 
    Is it just in the one big figure Total size above?

All this because I was curious if a bunch of olde users were consuming a lot of space in private files.

Are there any tracker items on this?

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Private file sizes on Moodle server

by Tony Holt -

Hi Derek.

Where did you get the course size report from??

I'm having similar issues, we have almost a TB of data stored and I have no idea where it's come from :\

In reply to Tony Holt

by Derek Chirnside -

As I said, from Site Admin > Reports > Course size

It contains a table with an entry for each course and a total.

-Derek

In reply to Tony Holt

by Sandeep Gill -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tony,

Check the size of the "trashdir" in your moodledata directory. This is where all the deleted files are kept.

Cheers

Sandy

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Derek Chirnside -

Sad replying to your own post I know.

• Where are course backups stored and do they count in these totals?
  • Is there any way to look inside the database and get this sort of information?

-Derek

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Derek,

Have you set up a schedule of automated course backups? If so, perhaps your site is affected by MDL-30725?

Regarding private files, I guess you're aware you can set a limit for each user in Settings > Site administration > Security > Site policies?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Derek Chirnside -

OK, thanks for this Helen.  The short answer is I don't know, I'll see what I can do.

But if I could access the server, and the database (which I can't, but if I could) can you find out what there is in the way of private files?

I am still pondering this question.  Would it be possible and is it easy to write

• a space allocation report for users? (Where are private files stored?)
  • a report on trashdir contents (does this still exist in Moodle 2.2+)?  and BTW, How long before this is emptied?)
  • a report on space used for backups? (How many backups can users upload?)

And a corollary question:

Users files on deletion

I have found a bunch of users that have left the school.  If I delete them, what happens to their files?  Passed to trash, then emptied later?

-Derek