Help - Modifying Quiz Score Results

Help - Modifying Quiz Score Results

by Jose Cernuda -
Number of replies: 10

Is there a way to modify how Moodle grade the quizzes scores? So far I see that the result is calculated "(points obtained / Total Points) * Max Grade"   and that shows the numerical result.  I need to modify this formula to something else, in other words what I want to accomplish is the following:

"[(Points Obtained / Total Points)*4] +1"

for example,

Quiz total points: 10

Quiz Max Grade: 5

if a student scores 6 points then the grade will be (6/10)*5 = 3 this is the normal way.

With the new formula it should be [(6/10)*4]+1 = 3.4 this would be the result that is requested for us to show.

I am a teacher in a small school in Panama, Republic of Panama and that is the grading scale required by the Ministry of Education, Moodle saves me a lot of time of manual grading, but with this change I need to be re-grading the quizzes in the grader and that is really the same thing as marking papers.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Jose

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Cernuda

Re: Help - Modifying Quiz Score Results

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can't do this within the quiz.

You can do this sort of thing in the Moodle gradebook, using calculated columns.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jose Cernuda -

Thanks Tim... how these calculated columns work? any documentation?

In reply to Jose Cernuda

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hopefully there is documentation, linked to from http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Gradebook.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mark Hardwick -

Tim,

This interest's me as well but I’ve never taken the time to chase it down. I use a curve that I've built in Excel which requires a manual entry from Moodle.  It would be nice to have it all in one place so I’m going to research it and see if it works with my formula.

Thanks,

Mark    

In reply to Mark Hardwick

by Tim Hunt -

Note that in can import and export grade to and from Moodle, using a range of formats like CSV, which Excel will happily process. But, it  probably is worth trying to get it all working within Moodle.

In reply to Jose Cernuda

by Marty Soupcoff -

Building upon Tim's response, I made a

on how you would enter a calculated formula using the formula you provided.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Jose Cernuda -

Thanks so much Marty! 

I will try that on the existing quizzes and let you know the result, I assume that it should work for other values more than 10 right, for example a 20 0 40 points test.

In reply to Jose Cernuda

by Marty Soupcoff -

Yes will work same way; just adjust your formula.

In reply to Jose Cernuda

by Jose Cernuda -

Update...

I tested the formula the way you showed in the video and it works fine, I played with it until I got it working the way it should be for me. The only change I made was in the calculated column (Category), instead of dividing the grade by the total points it should be divided by the max grade... using the total points it knocked the grade down.

so the solution was to create a category column and add the formula in the calculation.

=(activityID / Max Grade) * 4 + 1

Now I am running into another issue, the course total is set to mean of grades and the total now is the average from the two categories (Parent + Calculated) I need the course total to be the sum of all grades divided by the total number of grades instead the sum of all categories result divided by the amount of categories, but I think that is a question to ask in the Grade book forum right?

In reply to Jose Cernuda

by Marty Soupcoff -

Can you provide an image of your Categories & Items page with any formulas needed and how you want the final course total calculated.

The way I described, replicated the formula and outcome you described in your initial post of [(6/10)*4]+1 = 3.4. If you look at the Fred Student user, second user in the gradebook, you can see that he did have a 6 on the quiz (look at 3:10 marker of video) and after my calculation he had a 3.4 in that category. If you were to divide by the max grade, you would have a formula of [(6/5)*4+1 = 5.8.

Did you do the steps at the beginning of the video where I switched the category to Simple weighted mean and then made that category worth 5 instead of 10 but left the individual quiz worth 10 points?