Moodle 2.2 pop-out window changed?

Moodle 2.2 pop-out window changed?

by John Smith -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

On attached image you can see compared Moodle 2.0.8 and Moodle 2.2 pop out window for Captivate course.

Captivate course exit button  is not responding anymore. Any idea if this is gonna be fixed in future?. Also those new "background" areas below course are real headache... Is there any way to remove that? Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Smith

Re: Moodle 2.2 pop-out window changed?

by Bob Neuner -

Hi john,

I also use "Captivate" and was thinking of moving to 2.2 from 2.1.3. This would be a problem for us, in that we have detailed intructions on navigating the screens. They are in a "movie" format, that wold mean reshooting the entire movie again or making an akward cut.

Separate buttons could be set up to navigate, but I don't like that either.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the responses to your post.

In reply to John Smith

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

make sure you're running the latest 2.2 Stable code as the display issues should be improved a lot more - if you are running the latest stable check a couple of the other standard themes to see if they display it any better.

The captivate "exit course" button may not work though - it really depends how it is implemented.

Here is the reason behind the initial change:
http://danmarsden.com/blog/2011/07/13/ie7-and-xmlhttprequest/

but because of this change we are able to improve the pop-up handling a lot more, removing some of the extra windows SCORM keeps in place, and allowing us to get around pop-up blockers - here's an incoming change that does this: MDL-29975

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by John Smith -

Hi Dan,

Thank you for replying. I understand now that this is more AS3 code problem in Captivate since Moodle is taking step forward. I need to look into it...
Change is always welcome but sometimes people (clients) get scared. I have tested a bunch of themes (on latest stable version) and Captivate close button simply doesn't work anymore. I know that this button is not necessary since there is window X close button, but if I remove it it will break consistency of all previous courses, and client for some reason likes playbar close button better. I guess it gives them some sort of illusion of more interaction and they are afraid that closing course via window X button will cancel SCORM reporting. This opens a lot of new problems for us since we have launched new series of courses that suddenly don't work the way they used to so we got a lot of complains. Of course I am not complaining to you, but simply discussing this issue. smile

We use pop out window for those courses that don't fit in existing themes since small course window is not an option for us. Sometimes there are a lot of technical details and our courses are 1024x768 px with full screen button. It would be nice if in the future there would be user friendly setting up CSS options for pop out window background divs. If I could change color of all borders and backgrounds to white (or any other) it would be great. That way only course would be visibly on white background since everything else blends in.Could it be stored under course options for window? Is it possible for Moodle to have such flexibility in the future? I mean, is it technically possible? Or at least to make everything transparent Just a thought.

display settings

All the best,

In reply to John Smith

by John Smith -

I have fixed close button inside flash playbar source so now it works, it closes pop out window in Moodle. inside playbar pbcBtnExit should have the following code:

var btnTipsId = 8;

function onClicked()
{
    parent.onPBCBtnClick("exit");
    navigateToURL(new URLRequest("javascript:window.opener=self; window.close()"), "_parent");

}

I know this is not the place for posting this but just in case someone needs help regarding this issue...

All the best,

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Smith

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great to hear you've sorted the close button. Constructive feedback is always welcome - we couldn't improve without it!

The SCORM player is supposed to use the full height/width of the available browser window when pop-up window is selected - earlier releases of Moodle 2.2 didn't do this and we made various improvement such as MDL-31888 MDL-31749 MDL-31381 and possibly others - what version of Moodle 2 are you using? - is it a later version which includes the fixes for those issues?

I don't think we'll enable any custom css stuff from within the SCORM editing page - this is really what the Moodle Themes are for - if the "base" css isn't generic enough (to use fullscreen, no strange borders etc) - then we need to improve the "base" css to be a lot cleaner

If you are using the latest stable release and you find one of the core themes isn't allowing the SCORM player to use the full window height/width feel free to create a bug in the tracker - make sure you include screenshots/scorm package that allows us to reproduce the issue.