RSS Plus Block - Alpha Release - Help needed

RSS Plus Block - Alpha Release - Help needed

by Shaun Daubney -
Number of replies: 2

Hi guys,

I've recently contributed a new block (currently waiting for authorisation) to display RSS Feeds in a more WEB2.0 style, but I would really appreciate some help developing it if anyone's interested.

Link (When approved)

It currently...

• Displays RSS Feeds
  • Displays Thumbnails from BBC News feeds
  • Has slimmed down options compared to original RSS Block for ease of use

The features I'd like to include are...

• Display images from all feeds (where applicable)
  • Display other content such as video (where applicable)
  • Display feed favicon or channel image over main image

GitHub Link

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shaun Daubney

Re: RSS Plus Block - Alpha Release - Help needed

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Shaun! 

You, Sir, have redefined the humble RSS into a state-of-the-art RSS for Moodle. I'm in the process of creating a post on Moodlenews.com about your wonderful RSS block.

As a teaser, here is a Youtube video I created showing off the RSS Plus block in action on my Moodle production site. 

BTW, I've improved on it slightly by adding a vertical scrollbar to combat the Scroll Of Death.

Regards
Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia 

In reply to Shaun Daubney

Re: RSS Plus Block - Alpha Release - Help needed

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Shaun

Any plans to retro-fit the block for (gasp!) Moodle 1.9? I'm still a faithful fan of Moodle 1.9, although it's Moodle 2.2 new features like your block that's making it more tempting for me to move to make a change to Moodle 2.x.

If you already have your plate full with other work, I am willing to give it s try. However, may I ask:

• how difficult would it be to modify the block for Moodle 1.9 database PHP code to work, and  
  • how much work would that involve
  • where should / could I start (which portion of the code needs to be changed, which portions remain untouched in the conversion process) ?

Thanks for your attention
Frankie Kam