Word template for making Moodle questionnaires in GIFT format

Word template for making Moodle questionnaires in GIFT format

by Mikko Rusama -
Number of replies: 46
I have developed a word template with macros that is useful in creating questionnaires. The word macros convert a Word document to a text file in GIFT format that can be imported to Moodle.

See http://www.soberit.hut.fi/sprg/resources/moodle/GiftConverter.html

We have utilized this tool succesfully at the Helsinki University of Technology (TKK).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mikko Rusama

Re: Word template for making Moodle questionnaires in GIFT format

by Dawn Wright -

Thank you Mikko

We were just starting to write something to do this and you have saved us a lot of time.

dawn

In reply to Dawn Wright

by Meena Palanichamy -

Hi Wright

we are having some word documents with some questionaries.we want to convert them to gift format automatically.Are there any tools to make such conversions.

Any Help is invited.Thanks in advance

In reply to Meena Palanichamy

by Frank Ralf -
Please have a look at the Import and export FAQ.

I suppose, you could add the GIFT formatting with some Search & Replace operations as it is not a very complicated format.

hth
Frank
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Mikko,
    You have don a terrific work!! That template is fantastic!!

I had something much simpler developed for myself in OpenOffice. Actually, a set of styles I applied "by hand". You have just remainded me that Word do have styles also, and that custom toolbars can be configured and macros attached to them.

Many teachers at ULPGC make little use of Moodle quizzes because importing questions from Word files is seen as a mess (a lot of teachers has zillions of old questions in Word format). Your approach has open my eyes wide. Now, there is a selling point to both Moodle AND styles, a smooth pathway to migrate all those question files to Moodle.

Thanks a lot!!

- Enrique -
In reply to Enrique Castro

by W Page -
Hi Enrique!

You must of been posting at about the same time I was.

You have something similar for OpenOffice??

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Enrique Castro -
Hi W,
    I used to have my documents in MS-Word, but some 2 years ago I decided to move to OpenOffice. I'm the only one at my Department, but I evangelize as much as I can (last week I gave a course on OpenOffice for University staff, and I set a Moodle course as on-line support!)

I do have an OpenOffice Writer template with styles defined for questions and answers. But that's all, it doesn't have the grade of automation that Mikko's document has achieved. I had to export as XHTM, reopen in OpenOffice and run manually a macro.

But now I am committed to write such a "quiz writing form". With some important modifications: as far as I have tested any formatting is lost when the quiz is exported to GIFT. The procedure I had (via XHTML) preserved formatting of texts and special characters: I am a biochemist, I do write a lot of alphas, betas and so on. And I am in Spain, so I need to cope with accented vowels and ñ.

Next week I have all afternoons reserved for students. VB macros cannot be imported to OpenOffice, they need to be rewritten from scratch. I promise that in a couple of weeks I will post here a full functioning version of Mikko's macros for OOo. If not, please remember it to me, severely wink.

- Enrique -

by W Page -
Thanks Enrique!

I wish I know how to program in VB but I still am trying to get the PHP thingy together.  I would enjoy working on a program for OO that would create SCORM which would easily work with the MoodleScorm. tongueout  Oh! Well! big grin

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Ger Tielemans -
Trying it on different machines and with different version of Word we all get:
Attachment uitleg003.jpg
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Enrique Castro -
Hi Ger:
    Do you have a style called "normal"?
Go to the begging of the macro window and you will see a list of constants declared. They are the names of the styles used by the template&macro. There you will have STYLE_NORMAL = "normal".

If the "normal", or "default" paragraph style of your document is not called "normal" (perhaps teh same in Dutch) then you have that error. Rename either the style or the STYLE_NORMAL string that identifies the "default" style.

I have not forgotten the macro for OOo (OOo is built around styles). I have Mikko's macro translated to OOo, but coping with symbols and XML/XHTML is more tricky than expected. OOo does some weird things sometimes. I am still working on that. If I see it can take too much, I will post just the equivalent to Mikko's, without  extra formatting and symbols.

- Enrique -

by Ger Tielemans -
Thanks, that did it!

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
Ger, what exactly did you change to make this work in Dutch, the macro or the stylename ?
In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

by Ger Tielemans -

In the top of the macro you can define the name of the template, that is HIGHER IN THE FILE THEN THE PLACE WITH THE YELLOW ERROR MESSAGE!)

'********************************************************
' Style definitions. The styles defined below are used in the conversion.
'********************************************************

' General purpose styles.
Const STYLE_FEEDBACK = "Feedback"
Const STYLE_ANSWERWEIGHT = "AnswerWeight"
Const STYLE_NORMAL = "Standaard"

Works for me in Word 2003 but not for my Friend in an older Word sad

by Martin Vögeli -
Thanks! Works with "Standard" also for MS Office Word 2003 SP1 (German).

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes.. handling symbols in quizz answers for Science is for students essential: is the answer 2V, 2A or 2 OHM  (The Greek Omega is not in the char listt.)

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Enrique - I was wondering how you were progressing with the GIFT generating macro for OpenOffice. I would be interested in this as well. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Dennis Daniels -
I'm wondering the same thing! smile

OO 2 is now out... any chance of a moodle GIFT format generator?

best
dgd
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Enrique Castro -
Hi Dennis (an Tim)
I am back again working on Moodle stuff. In other thread I have posted the new version of the template that solves chrashes with OOo <2.0.1. Only OOo 2.0.1 will work, any previous version will have this or that failure.

This set of OOo macros were inspired in teh GIFTConverter template for MS-Word published here by Mikko Rusama, but extended to allow more freedom (and visual aid) when writing quizzes.

Enrique

In reply to W Page

by Timothy Takemoto -
There already is a similar sort of thing for Open Office. It came out about a few montsh prior to this Word version, I think. Or was it a while afterwards!?
Tim
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by W Page -
Hi Mikko!

I am going to try to use it with Word.

• Is it version specific, that is, will it work with all versions of Word or just with, for example, only Word 2000 and XP?
  • Have you thought about doing the same for OpenOffice? I believe that OpenOffice v2.0 is due out this month sometime?

WP1
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by James Depow -

Hi all,

I tested the template and imported the questions.  For some reason it brought in other questions that were not part of original questions, and I have no idea where they came from.  In the following picture, only the two questions relating to capitals and the math question were the ones i created.

Any idea where the other ones came from?

Thanks,

Jim

Attachment ScreenHunter_005b.JPG
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Mark Stevens -
(Pardon the cross-posting)

Dear All,

I put together some step-by-step screenshots of how to use the macro/template and the 13-page How-to is available at:
http://moodle.snevets.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=790
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Lane Grann-Stahl -
Oh my!  I am so glad that I worked my way back into these posts.  This doc may be the support that I've needed.  I'm fiddling with the Word GIFT converter, but I'm just not savvy enough to divine some of the subtlties of the process.  Yet I know I'm so close!

Thanks, Mark, for going to all this trouble.

Best regards,
Lane
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Joy Pegrum -

Hi Mark - I see from your profile you are still Moodling so I wondered if this resource is still available (this link is broken).  I have found the old template file lurking in an old work directory but have never used it.

Has it been trumped by something more modern do you know?  (I'm returning to Moodle after some years away) if not I'd appreciate a copy of your tutorial.

In reply to Mikko Rusama

by ss ss -
Hi, is there a way to translate toolbar text to another language?
In reply to ss ss

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, of course!
I don't know how menu's commands spell in english but I'm trying to guess it. wink
1. Do right click wherever on toolbar.
2. In context menu select last command (Options... ?)
3. Now, when you'll see dialog window, do right click on any button on Moodle's toolbar.
4. You'll see item "Name" and can change caption on this button!

In Russian version I reorganized this toolbar. It was necessary because in Russian the captions on buttons is longer than in English (see picture).

PS: You can translate paragraph's styles too. You'll should change VB Script for it.

Attachment Moodle_Toolbar.png
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

Some troubles

by Dominique BODIN -
Hello,

I found this Word model terrific...but I meet some troubles with it.

Each time I use it one bug appears in Private Sub RemoveFormatting() as seen on the capture in the attachment.

What is the problem ?

Best regards,
D.BODIN

Attachment copieecranerreur.jpg
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Dave Adams -
Wow! I am very impressed. I have just started using your template.

I am curious; is the template being actively developed? I am considering making some improvements, but I do not want to replicate other people's efforts and if I go to this effort I would want to share the improvements with other Moodlers.

Specifically, I am considering making the Export function a little smarter about exporting symbols and character styles. I am a math teacher, so I need to include superscripts (exponents) and greek symbols in my quizzes. I can use the template as-is, typing &pi;<i>r</i><sup>2</sup> when I want to type "pi r squared", but it would be nicer if I could just put a pi symbol, make the r italic and make the 2 a superscript in Word. Then the export function would have to look for some symbols, for italics, bold, superscript, subscript, and maybe a couple other styles, and convert those styles to HTML on the way to the GIFT file.

Any opinions on whether this is worth pursuing? I do have some experience parsing Word styles into XML in a part-time engineering gig over the past year, so this is right up my alley.
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Mark Stevens -
Thanks again Mikko for this great tool.

Anyone having bugs with 1.7.1 when importing fill in the blank (missingwordq)?
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Richard Cory -
I'm trying to create a quiz on Mac OS X using this template with Word 2004.

I changed the STYLE_NORMAL = "Standard" to STYLE_NORMAL = "Normal"

It successfully completes the export of a quiz to a .txt file but all of the supercripts and subscripts have disappeared.

Is there something I'm missing?

thanks
RC
In reply to Mikko Rusama

Re: Word 2007 template for making Moodle questionnaires in GIFT format

by Chris Liang-Vergara -
Hi - I've upgraded to Word 2007 and I'm not sure how to make the template work correctly. I can use Word 2007 in compatibility mode, and the macros show up, but I can't find the toolbar or how to make it appear.

Any suggestions?
Thanks-
Chris
In reply to Chris Liang-Vergara

Re: Word 2007 template for making Moodle questionnaires in GIFT format

by James Mulhall -
I have been having similar problems...
once i have enabled the macro, they should be available in the ADD IN section o the menu bar.
otherwise, you can customise your quick access toolbar up the top and add the different quiz options.

BUT... i get this error again when i try to export it. (the section in red is highlighted) Any ideas?

' Inserts text at the end of the paragraph before the trailing VbCr
Sub InsertAfterBeforeCR(ByVal text As String, ByVal aRange As Range)
aRange.End = aRange.End - 1 ' insert text before cr
With aRange
.InsertAfter text
.Style = Normal
.Move Unit:=wdParagraph, Count:=1
End With
End Sub

In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Mark Miller -
It looks great, but I can't get it to work. I've set the macro level to medium, but Word keeps trying to save the file in my docs directory as doc1. I'm not very smart about macros -- do I have to rename it? Where do I store it?

tnx

mark miller
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Mark Miller -
When I use the template, the options -- sort of a tool-bar looking thing -- that appears in the left-hand margin of the examples/manual presented here, doesn't appear on my screen. What am I missing? I'm using XP and Word 2003.

tnx

mark miller
In reply to Mikko Rusama

by Stefan Büchler -
The link doesn't work any more. Does anyone offer the template to download?
In reply to Stefan Büchler

by Joy Pegrum -

Hi all - I have a copy of the file and attatch it here - no idea of the creator so can't credit, sorry.

I have no idea how to use it - so if anyone can share that info please post.

In reply to Joy Pegrum

by Rubén García Moreno -

Thank you Joy Pegrum, your file was really useful to me. I have a FAQ about it, but it is in Catalan language, I don't think it could be of any use for you. I will try to get familiar with the program and post here some basics.

In reply to Stefan Büchler

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Here is the current site for this template (makes a moodle XML file, which you import in the Quiz questions page) - includes readme file (PDF) in English!

http://www.finemetronome.com/moodle/

Dave

In reply to Dave Perry

by Carol Booth -

This looks really nice but doesn't seem to work with Office 2010.  Can anyone help?

thanks, Carol