Problem with clusters

Problem with clusters

by Rodolfo Stecher -
Number of replies: 4

I am using the latest build (2.2.1+), and still having this problem

I extensively use clusters in my courses. Clusters are not nested but one after the other with some content pages between them. 

There are cases, it looks magical, that the second cluster is not jumping to the next page when it finishes, but goes back to the beginning of the cluster, making an endless loop.

I've tried by deleting the start and end cluster pages, but this does not help, since the jump logic of the lesson gets corrupted. The only solution I found up to now is deleting the complete lesson and start all over again (which is not fun with clusters having sometimes more than 80 pages).

Any help about what which setting I could tweak, or about which tables in the DB I could check to correct the clusters which missbehave without needing to redo everything will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rodolfo Stecher

Re: Problem with clusters

by Rodolfo Stecher -

Anyone having the same problem? If I use only one cluster in the lesson it works, as soon as I add more than one cluster the problem occurs.

I've tried all different settings I could think of with no positive result.

Thanks

by Rodolfo Stecher -

Hi all, 

I really need desperately help, since all my courses are broken and I missed to do a backup before this minor upgrade. 

Please take a look at the attached document in order to better understand where the problem is.

Thanks

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Rodolfo,

Sorry it took so long for somebody to answer your post and look at solving MDL-31774.

I recently decided to look at all lessons issues in the tracker (I know it may seem a strange way to pass time for a math teacher smile ) and this week I tried to solve all issues involving lesson clusters.

• MDL-38222 is about an error when a student has seen all questions from a cluster and enter the cluster again from a page outside the cluster
  • MDL-31778 is about jump of a cluster page been broken if you edit that page (the patch for this issue is inafct contained into the one for MDL-48675 because I solve several issues at the same time)
  • MDL-31774 is about lesson with several clusters and is the one you are interested in
I would be very interested if you (or any Moodle users having lessons with several clusters) could test my solution and report if it works and fix their lessons.
Of course don't do that on your production server (even if I am confident my patchs are working) and if you have trouble editing Moodle files, I can send you the modified files if you tell what Moodle version you are using.
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Another question related to clusters in lesson:

Is anybody using sub-clusters (questions enclosed in Branch Table and End of Branch inside a cluster) ?

Looking at both the code and the documentation it seems to me that feature was also broken when the lesson module was upgraded to Moodle 2.0

Is it useful ? Should I fix it ?