Major gradebook issue - Can't enter grades manually, error message

Major gradebook issue - Can't enter grades manually, error message

by Tony Box -
Number of replies: 7

Last week, I had one facutly member report to me that after moving a grade column in their gradebook, they could no longer enter grades and every time they tried, the following error would appear:

I verified this to be true. This happens when using the ajax/json method of grading; when you open up the gradebook in a course and type in a grade, then hit enter (while editing is OFF).

If you turn editing ON, this is what appears:

Notice how in the blue box on the right, none of the individual grade items have a box available to enter a grade like they normally would (as on the left). Strange, eh?

Now since these are assignments, I tried grading the item directly through the assignment. Here's what I see:

Again, notice anything strage? No area to add feedback. Can't select a grade from the Grade drop-down menu... even though the maximum grade is definitely set to 2 points.

Last odd thing that hopefully lends a clue to what's going on. If we go back to the gradebook, turn editing on, and edit one individual item cell (the place where you'd normally turn on or off a grade override), here's what I see:

The "overridden" box is grayed-out! What the heck!

So initially, I thought it was just this one professor having troubles. Then, today, I get a call from another professor who's got the same issue! Ahhh! mixed

As you can see, I forsee this happening to even more people. I've got no idea what is going on or how I can fix it without deleting entire assignments. Even that likely won't prevent it from happening again. I've looked through the database and can't find much of a clue there... to my only slightly-trained eye, everything looks normal.

The only major thing that happened recently is I changed the "Cache Javascript" option to "Yes" within the Moodle site-wide settings. This proved to cause some issues with old browser caches so I ended up disabling it again. Could that have triggered something? That's the only recent event which would have had any impact that I can think of. Can't find much other relevant info on the forums sad

Help! Please and thank you smile

In reply to Tony Box

Re: Major gradebook issue - Can't enter grades manually, error message

by Tony Box -

So it's not a caching error. I restored a database backup to a dev server and the problem persists. Will update if I find anything out today.

In reply to Tony Box

by Tony Box -

Welp, the problem was those grade columns were "locked."

It'd be nice to laugh about such a silly mistake, but I can't. I can't help but feel a little frustrated about this. I'm not "new" to moodle by any means. I have a pretty thorough grasp on most of its features and quirks and what-not, but time and time again, something like this comes along and I devote way more time than necessary trying to troubleshoot it, come to find out it's actually not a bug or server issue; it's a feature that is not well implemented.

I know this message will fall on deaf ears, especially in this forum, but I'm getting it out anyway smile

Why is there no indicator that you have locked a grade column!?!? I mean simply highlighting columns that are locked (in the grader report) in a different color would be more than enough!

Anyway, I hope the new UI/UX designer that was recently hired can start righting some of these wrongs... hint hint smile

In reply to Tony Box

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Even if this is not fixed in the short term, your post may turn up in searches which might help other people.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tony Box -

Precisely why I decided to document my frustration smile

As a matter of fact, I was really surprised that no one had posted about this previously...

In reply to Tony Box

by Debbie Unterseher -
I know this is an old thread, but thank you for posting it.  Had the same issue, but solved it quickly because of this thread.