Repository Permission Error

Repository Permission Error

by Richard Taylor -
Number of replies: 5

I have just done a new install of Moodle 2.2.1+ (Build: 20120202) and added a few test users and courses to it. Within each course the teacher is unable to access the server files repository.

When I go to the 'capability overview' the settings for View server repository (repository/local:view) are set to allow for allow for managers, creators, teachers and non-editing teachers and not set for everybody else. When I go to 'check system permissions' of one of the teacher accounts I have created the permission is set to no.

This is a fresh download with no custom changes to any of the roles or permissions. When I log in as the administrator I can access the repository without problem.

Is this a bug with this version or is there something blocking the permission of teachers that I don't know about? (Sorry, I'm used to Moodle 1.9)

Thanks in advance

Richard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Taylor

Re: Repository Permission Error

by Melinda Kraft -

As I understand it, all permission are based off the authenticated users role. If the access to the thing in question is blocked at that level, then it must be specifically granted in all other roles for which you wish to allow it.

We are having the same problem. In our 2.1 version of Moodle I had taken the repository permissions away from the authenticated user, then gave them specifically to the roles I wanted to make it available to (teachers and up) - effectively blocking students from getting in there. 

However, after upgrading to 2.2.1, our teachers were no longer able to access the file system repository. The only way I had to resolve this was to give access back to the authenticated user, but of course now students can see the repository in the file picker.

I haven't reported it as a bug yet because there are couple newer builds out there than the one I installed, but it sounds now like perhaps we should report it.

In reply to Melinda Kraft

by Yves Roy -

Could you please report it, as it is obviously a bug? In fact, the behaviour of Moodle's File Picker is not what is shown for example in the video which link can be found in the "Working with files" page of Moodle's documentation. 

On a fresh installation of Moodle 2.2.1 (nightly build as of today, PHP 5.4.0, mySQL 5.5.20, Windows 2008R2 SP1), with all roles definitions checked and reset to default, I've added two File System repositories, one Google Repository and checked several cases. Another test was done on a similar configuration but with a database upgraded from Moodle 2.0 with many courses, once again after resetting roles capabilities to default.

• For an ordinary student, only the Google Repository appears in the File picker when trying to add a file to its "My private files", which is ok for me.
  • It is the same for a user registered as a teacher in some courses trying to add a file to its private file. To my point of view, as long as this user as the editing teacher role, he or she should be able to access all repositories in this case.
  • When the same user edits one of the courses in which he ou she as the editing teacher role, then the Server Files repository and the two named File System repositories appear in the File picker (ok) but any attempt to use them ends up with a "No permission to access this repository" message (not ok).

Of course there is a workaround : adding the capability to all Authenticated users to use these repositories but this is not an option for production systems. We do not want all students to have access to all resources of our Moodle site.

By the way: in this configuration, when a user accesses to a resource uploaded by another teacher and tries to insert it into its private files or in its own course, the name of the creator of the original resource and its license type are not preserved. This is incorrect.

In reply to Yves Roy

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is the tracker issue, please vote!

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31789

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Yves Roy -

I did open another bug track at the same time (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31980). The problem is a bit larger as it aroses not only with the File system repository but also with the Server files repository.

In reply to Yves Roy

by Daran Price -

Hi,

any movement on this as it seems fairly significant and for us a show stopper!?