How much concurrent users does moodle support?

How much concurrent users does moodle support?

by Ming Jiang -
Number of replies: 5

I am trying to setup a moodle quiz for about 100 students. Is there a limited number of students accessing the same quiz at the same time?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ming Jiang

Re: How much concurrent users does moodle support?

by Ming Jiang -

By the way, the number of students for an quiz is expected to be over 10,000 in two years.

In reply to Ming Jiang

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers

How long is a piece of string?!

Ming, moodle is scalable but you'll need the hardware to support it. My general rule of thumb is 1GB RAM per 50 concurrent users. If you're anticipating 10k users in 2 years, you may need to consider some serious hardware eg. cluster of servers and load balancer. JMeter is useful for load testing your setup before the traffic arrives.

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Performance

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chad Outten

by Ming Jiang -

Hi Chad, thank you for your reply.

I know my question is too open, and the answer is probably "Depends ... on many things"

1GB RAM per 50 concurrent users, is good enough for me to do my plan for now. IF we have to deal with over 10k users in 2 years, then I am very happy to face more problems later.

Thank you for suggesting JMeter for load testing as well.

In reply to Ming Jiang

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi MIng,

Just to answer your initial question, there is no software limit to the number of students accessing a quiz at the same time - it is all dependant upon your hardware. Others have already pointed you in the direction of advice in this area.

Andrew