Motivating students through multistamps in the Stamp Collection module (Moodle 1.9.15)

Motivating students through multistamps in the Stamp Collection module (Moodle 1.9.15)

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi! If you're using David Mudrak's Stamp Collection module, then WELCOME!
I'm happy to share with the Moodle world that I've managed to implement a multi-stamp
deriviation of David's work. I found out how to do it without disturbing the underlying
architecture of module's MySQL database. Now you can implement it for your own 
Moodle site. 

Here's what the module looks like:

And here's what the My Stamps block now looks like:

I started work at 11pm and finally got it working at 3am! Such an unholy hour (3am) is not a good
time to be posting to my blog!  So, if you are interested to implement this one your Moodle site,
please wait for my blog post on http://moodurian.blogspot.com. Soon, my blog post complete with
installation instructions and Youtube video will mean that anyone can set it up on their own Moodle 1.9.x
site. An Moodle 2.2 version is also coming soon fairly soon.

I wonder how many users of the Stamp Collection would be interested in this...!? 

Regards and retiring to sleep,
Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Motivating students through multistamps in the Stamp Collection module (Moodle 1.9.15)

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hey Frankie--love your award collection block for students!

I use a modified version of the "Stamp Collection" plugin in the Moodle Reader module, so students get book covers as awards for completing a quiz on a graded reader that they finish reading. It works!  I have students read 10-20 books a semester, up to 100,000 words per year in a second language with this gentle motivational tool.  I want to extend it to other aspects of moodling as you have done.

This is all part of the pedagogical movement toward gamification. I attended a presentation on gamification at a Japan teachers convention where the presenter listed some principles of gamifying practice:

• additive, cumultative points rather than discrete grades (A, B, C)
  • emphasis on participation and measuring participation
  • awards, leader boards, rankings
  • rewarding cooperation as well as competition

I see this as growing trend--indeed a vision for Moodle 3.0 and Web 3.0.

In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Motivating students through multistamps in the Stamp Collection module (Moodle 1.9.15)

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Don! Thanks for the comments. I installed the Moodle Reader module as well as the Question format and type contents on my Moodle 1.9.15 site. However, my "Select Publisher" dropdown list is empty. Did I forget to do something? 

Frankie
boonsengkam@gmail.com 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Ralf Brauckhoff -

Hi Frankie,
I`m very, very interested in this smile.
I look every day on your site.

Can you tell, when the istallatin instructions are ready?

Thanks for your work.
Ralf