Some Students Unable to See WIki Pages | Moodle 2.0

Some Students Unable to See WIki Pages | Moodle 2.0

by Francois Evans -
Number of replies: 19

I have set up two wikis on a course page. The wikis are set up (so far as I can see) in identical ways.

Some students are clicking on one wiki and seeing the page and links it opens OK; but when they click on another wiki from the same course page, the wiki does not show its welcome page etc.

Can some good soul please tell me why one wiki is opening properly to them and not another?

When I log in as admin. and click on either wiki, they open fine.

Many thanks for any advice!

François.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francois Evans

Re: Some Students Unable to See WIki Pages | Moodle 2.0

by Peter Roberts -

Hi François, I had what sounds like a similar problem with a wiki with visible groups.

The dropdown menu that switched from one to another didn't work. Not sure if this is the same issue that you are having but the rather clunky workaround I devised is here - http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=190581&parent=832518

Are you using visible groups?

Kind regards,

Pete

In reply to Peter Roberts

by Francois Evans -

Thanks Peter. Am using visible groups. Will try this.

François.

by Francois Evans -

More clarity on this problem...

When a student logs in and cliks on my wiki, they see this:

Student View of Wiki

When admin. logs in and click on my wiki, they see this:

Admin View of Wiki

...The above is true if the wiki is set as 'No groups', 'Separate groups' or 'Visible groups'.

If from having logged in as admin., I switch rôle to student, I see the admin. view above.

I'd be very grateful if someone could show me what's going on here. dead

François.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm just guessing  here but might this not be because you have set up individual wikis? (looking at the names there) So you see your list of stuff because you put that on your page whereas other students see nothing because they haven't yet made their first page?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francois Evans -

Guilty as charged!

I had set this up as an individual wiki, assuming that that meant only I could write to it, but that everyone could see it.

Is there a way of changing a wiki's type after the event, or do I have to start from scratch?

Thank you in advance for your help!

François.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I *think* you will have to set it up again

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francois Evans -

Am keen to know that I've got this straight:

1. A wiki can be individual or collaborative only.

2. Individual wikis can only be seen by one student and their teacher.

3. Collaborative wikis can be seen and contributed to by all /groups.

Is it not possible for a teacher to set up a wiki that is read-only for students?

Kind thanks,

François.

by Mary Cooch -

Here is the documentation on Moodle 2 wikis http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Wiki_module Basically if there is a wiki that is read only by a student then it wouldn't be in the spirit of a wiki - so you would use, say a "book" for instance (the contributed book module) or just some "pages". I think in older versions of the wiki there was a "teacher" wiki that did this -but not now.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

François, you should be able to create a read-only wiki by changing the permissions and removing the student role from mod/wiki:editpage and mod/wiki:createpage.

As Mary says, if you only want the teacher to edit it, then a page resource or book would be easier, but if you want students to contribute to the wiki and then later archive it, then changing permissions is the way to go.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Francois Evans -

Thank you Helen. I'll follow these steps.

François. approve

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francois Evans -

Thank you so much Mary. This is very helpful.

François. approve

by Francois Evans -

Dear Mary,

You wrote that 'Pages' could be used to make a 'book /quasi wiki' (linked web pages) on Moodle. Is there a way I could have students seeing one page link on the course page, but with sub-pages reachable from it?

The idea would be that when students click on the Page, they'd see a contents page of links, which would lead to other pages etc. Only the Contents page link would be viewable at the course page though. How /where could I hide (store) the linked sub-pages?

Many thanks in advance.

François.

by Mary Cooch -

Hi François- actually; this would have been better as a new topic but I don't have moderating rights in here to split it,so never mind. You could download the contributed Book module, which would work quite well.Alternatively,  there are several ways people try to add links to Moodle courses and not have them visible on the page thisand if you do a search you will find loads of forum posts and external blogs on this.  The answer to your question "where will I hide the linked sub pages is in the documentation here and relates to "orphaned activities"

In 1.9 there are two ways I have documented here

(

)

and also here

(

)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francois Evans -

Terrific Mary. Thank you.

I think I've sussed it. I could make a mini website offline, with an index page and sub, html pages linked from it. All the sub-pages would be in a folder. I could zip the folder, upload the index page and compressed file using 'Add File', uncompress the zipped folder and voilà: pages with sub-pages viewable by everyone.

Your icons solution is very elegant. smile

François.

by Mary Cooch -

aha yes! This solution...http://ourlearning.co.uk/2010/12/displaying-websites-index-html-files-in-moodle-2-0/  big grin

By the way-are you French with a name like François? But Evans?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francois Evans -

Great! This will work, but I'm wondering how easy it will be to update sub-pages via Moodle's html editor. I might have to do the updating offline and then re-upload.

by Francois Evans -

Still confused. sad

I've checked all Moodle's options: Database, Glossary, Pages, Wikis. The Wiki seems to be the best format, because pages can be edited and updated so easily. Using pages, I don't think I'd be able to edit them from within Moodle.

The Wiki FAQ here:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Wiki_module_FAQ

...say that if you want to make a wiki that students can read but not edit, ...remove the student role from mod/wiki:editpage and mod/wiki:createpage when you create your wiki.

How do I 'remove the student role', and where are mod/wiki:editpage and mod/wiki:createpage ?

by Mary Cooch -

Ok..  - make your wiki and then click on it and down the side of your screen you will see this settings box:

Click "permissions" as I have highlighted. Then scroll down to where you see "create new wiki pages" like the next screenshot:

Click the X by the student role to PREVENT them being able to do this.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francois Evans -

AT LAST! - I think I've found the solution. smile

To stop others having to go through what I did (making three large wikis that all had to be rebuilt from scratch), here is an instant guide which should help...

Thanks to Mary the Moodle Fairy.

Simple Instructions for Understanding Wikis in Moodle 2.0+

The 'spirit' of a wiki is to allow anyone to contribute to it. However wikis can be made which are editable only by an individual (e.g. teacher) but viewable by all. The key is that one has to use a collaborative wiki to do this. Being able to do this negates the Moodle 'book' module from what I can see. Read on...

In Moodle 1.9, settings for Wikis were different. There used to be three wiki types:

1. Teacher or Trainer
  2. Groups
  3. Student (Individual student or trainee).

Things changed from Moodle 2.0 which offers only two types of wiki:

1. Individual
  2. Collaborative.

Red arrow - right Confusion can arise from the help box in Moodle 2.0+, which pops up when the user asks for information about the difference between an individual and a collaborative wiki viz:

Wiki mode help box

The culprit is the statement in relation to the individual wiki:

'everyone has their own wiki which only they can edit'.

What the box does not tell you (which in my view it should), is that INDIVIDUAL WIKIS CAN ONLY BE VIEWED BY THE INDIVIDUAL AND THE TEACHER ALONE. If the teacher makes an individual wiki, students will not be able to see it. The words 'individual' and 'collaborative' refer to who can view the wiki, not who can edit it!

So: if you want to make a wiki which is viewable by all, but editable only by an individual (i.e. the teacher), you need to make a COLLABORATIVE wiki ...then edit the permissions section for that collaborative wiki as described in the summary table below.

Student only, to see and contribute to wiki individually

Teacher only to contribute to wiki, but viewable by students as well.

Teacher and students to be able to see and contribute to wiki

When you first set your wiki up, make it an Individual wiki. Set groups as required.

Set up a Collaborative wiki (otherwise students won't be able to see it), but then remove student permission to edit after you have set up the wiki. Do this by clicking on the wiki and then going to:

Settings>Wiki administration>Permissions

and removing the 'Student' role from 'Create new wiki pages' row.

Set up a Collaborative wiki with groups as required.

Summary

Collaborative wikis don't have to be collaborative, and you might want this. Don't use an individual wiki unless you want to be the only person who can see it.

It would be great in the future if it was possible to change an individual wiki into a collaborative one (and vice versa) after the wiki had been made.

One thing that still confuses me is that in Settings>Wiki administration>Permissions, 'Create new wiki pages' exists, but not 'Edit wiki page'.

I hope I've got all this right. - Open to comments.