Can I Assign a Grade To Unattempted Quizzes

Can I Assign a Grade To Unattempted Quizzes

by Keith C -
Number of replies: 5

I have a problem.  I have set up my grading to not include ungraded items because I need time to grade things and the students freak if their grade falls when I add an assignment.  However, they also now can manage to not take quizzes (especially prequizzes in a classwork category) and their non work does not count against them.  Is there a way to assign a default grade of zero to a quiz and then the students would scramble to increase their grade?  Any other ideas?

In reply to Keith C

Re: Can I Assign a Grade To Unattempted Quizzes

by Stephanie Allen -

If you go into the grader report in the gradebook, and turn editing on, you can enter a grade of zero for the non-completed quizzes, but I agree that it would be great if this was a default, that non-attempted quizzes turned to a zero in the gradebook once the due date was passed.

In reply to Keith C

by Marty Soupcoff -

The need to enter zeroes depends on the aggregation type you are using. If you are using Sum of Grades, you don't need to enter a zero. A zero is the same as an empty cell in this aggregation. Others though it does matter if you have it set to only aggregate non-empty grades.

I remember seeing somewhere where someone else was calling for similar functionality; enter zeroes for all empty grades after a certain period. I can't locate where I saw this though. You may want to search around the trackers to see if someone has started one. If not, you can start one yourself.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Keith C -

Yes thank you for the replies.  The problem is at the middle and high school levels many students don't register a need to complete something until their final course average goes down.  On the other hand...when you enter an assignment if you aggregate empty items it makes their course grade go down!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Andrew Davis -

I believe this is the tracker issue you are referring to MDL-25620

In reply to Andrew Davis

by Amir Ressaissi -

It seems that this issue was put on ice but I have made a plea to revive it because it has caused a lot of lost time for me. If this is something you recognize, please vote for the tracker. The following is my response on MDL-25620:

As described in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=194659#p848092, the issue is more about user friendliness than capability.

Yes it is possible to set a whole category in the gradebook to aggregate including empty grades. But this causes unwanted consequences.
1. What if that same category contains several offline assignments or manually graded assignments? Students' grades would be very low until the teacher graded it. If the weighting for an ungraded assignment was set to zero until it was graded it might work.
2. However, this means that teachers would have to change the weighting every time a new assignment was given to the students. After recycling a Moodle course I would then have to return the 200-300 assignments to zero weighting...not fun.
3. The issue is further exacerbated if you have different groups with different assignments. We can't control which group and which assignment will/will not count using weighting and aggregation including non-empty grades.

Additionally, with younger students a blaring zero is needed to emphasis that that particular assignment must be done or was missed.

I envision a solution similar to the 'upload a file' assignment with the following options for teachers:
1. If student does not do assignment by due date - give zero
2. Allow for possibility to do assignment after due date with penalty and option to email notification to teacher.
3. To differentiate between a real 0 and a non-attempted 0, student can get feedback - NOT COMPLETED. Perhaps this can even be a user input field like with the grade boundary feedback.
4. Select which groups these conditions will apply to (including the ALL GROUPS option).

Bottom line, as teachers with 100s of students, we rely heavily on the automated feedback that quizzes can give. However, if Moodle doesn't clearly tell these students that they didn't do the assignment, the teacher, once again has to do the chasing.

Please reconsider creating a fix to this problem. It seems to be one of the few issues with Moodle2 that stops me from using quizzes on a daily basis.