Convert tests: Examview 6.x or Bb 9 to Moodle 2.0

Convert tests: Examview 6.x or Bb 9 to Moodle 2.0

by Dustin Hebert -
Number of replies: 8

Hi, everyone--I've read all the postings I could find and am worried that no solution to my problem exists at this time. Does anyone know of a way to export tests from either Examview 6.x or Bb 9 and import those into Moodle 2.0? I've tried exporting from both and using Moodle 2.0's Blackboard (not Blackboard 6+ option) and Examview option to no avail. I'm trying to avoid reformatting all the original text version of the tests to either use Moodle XML or GIFT versions.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dustin Hebert

Re: Convert tests: Examview 6.x or Bb 9 to Moodle 2.0

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

There is no working solution to import Examview 6.x or Bb9 question in Moodle 2.0/2.1 with the  standard import formats included in Moodle. I am working on this problem see MDL-25492, but most probably this enhanced import format will not be backported to Moodle 2.0 when available.

Warious third party examview import formats have been posted in that (long sad) thread both for Moodle 2.0 and Moodle 2.1 (be warned you should get the exact version for your Moodle version : an import format for Moodle 2.1 will not work with moodle 2.0 and an import format for Moodle 2.0 will not work for Moodle 2.1, no way !). You will have to install them (or ask your administrator to instal them for you) in order to be able to use them.

For Moodle 2.0 I think you should look at the files posted by Gerry Jenkins in May 2011. All versions posted latter (including by me) are for Moodle 2.1.

Be warned that if you have images in mc questions answers, they will not import correctly due to a limitation in Moodle 2.0. The only solution to this problem is to upgrade to Moodle 2.1/2.2

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Lisa Johnson-Bowers -

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I am waiting for the ability to import from Examview 6.x to Moodle 2.x before I upgrade my site to Moodle 2.0.

In reply to Lisa Johnson-Bowers

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Lisa,

The situation has not changed : see answers from Gary and me : there are several solutions available that works quite well.

What are you waiting for ? A solution available in Moodle without any plugin or external converter ? This is unlikely to happend before Moodle 2.3 in the best case and:

• this will surely not be backported to Moodle 2.0.x as since December 2011 only security fixes are  added to Moodle 2.0.x (see this page to learn about Moodle end of life policy)
  • This  may or may not be backported to Moodle 2.1 and 2.2 : it's up to Tim to decide once he is satisfied with the code for Moodle 2.3
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Enough people care about this that if someone can come up with working code, we will get it back-ported to 2.1 and 2.2 if at all possible. Since each import format is a self-contained bit of code, so changes there are unlikely to break anything else, I expect it will be possible.

I hope someone can get this working, because I don't have time to work on it myself.

by William Beazley -

Just as a bit of information.  e-Instruction told me at the Austin TCEA that there is work underway for an Examview to Moodle interface by a 3rd party.  No timetable was given.  It should be a big relief to many of us.

In reply to William Beazley

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

But if you look at MDL-25492 you will see I already have a working code and it works. Of course it needs to be polished to be of the required quality to be included in Moodle, but it works. I have tested it against many Examview zip files. It imports all images in the same process.

Also Gary Blackburn MoodleXMLBuilder works and convert Examview files into Moodle XML files that you can import in Moodle.

No need to wait, it's already possible to import Examview 6.x files into Moodle 2.1/2.2 !

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have had success exporting as XML from ExamView 4.0, then importing into Moodle as "Moodle XML".  This works fairly well for True/False and Multiple Choice questions.  I am not sure if this technique works with ExamView 6.x, however.

I had success using ExamView 4.0 to import questions that were originally from the textbook author in Word format.  My complete path was as follows:

MS Word to RTF into ExamView4 bank into ExamViewPro exported as XML importing into Moodle XML.

Maybe my solution will help you think this through.