User file space(s)

User file space(s)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I'm new to this subject. So please bear with me if all these are well documented.

The teachers of a college have these needs:

- Each teacher gets an individual file space in the Moodle server. The teacher is able drag and drop files and directories to this space from their local computer as in WebDAV. Workarounds like FTP or HTTP upload are acceptable, if possible with zip-archive unpacking.

The own file space is authenticated through an external LDAP. The teachers are grouped into an OU. (The students do not get a such file spaces.)

Let's call this space for the example teacher A space_a.

- Teacher A creates directories space_a/chemistry/alkalines/ and space_a/chemistry/acids/. Teacher A teaches in two (Moodle) courses Chemistry I and II. Under the files section in Chemistry_I he creates two links to ../alkalines/ and ../acids/ which students of course I see as such. In Chemistry II he needs only ../acids/.

- Teachers A is a member of the working committee Welfare. There is a Moodle course of the same name. Teacher A links his space_a/welfare/protocols/ to course Welfare and give all the teachers in that course write permissions in his /welfare/protocols/.

Does Moodle 2.x offer this facility in its core? If not what additional software are needed? Is the edu-sharing repository discussed here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=164785 a possiblity?

Currently this college has Moodle 1.9. If this feature is available only in 2.x we'll upgrade.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: User file space(s)

by christian lukaschik -

Hi Visvanath,

I will only take the chance to talk about how edu-sharing could be of help and leave the rest to the moodle-pros wink.

As of version 1.5 we offer a preety sleak WebDAV inegration. LDAP is possible but as usual with authentication will require some integration.

Now for the folder part. At the moment we do not link folders because linking folders requires a mad amout of usage data and user rights magic we are still working on (it's on the roadmap). Atm you would have to link the items in th folder.

The procect part could be managed by means  of shared folders in edu-sharing. These would have to be accessed using the integrated "workspace (1.5) / file manager (1.6)" blocks in moodle - so you would have a designated interface for the file management. Files could of course be published in the moodle course used as a cooperative workspace. The versioning of the repository would ensure that you would always see the newest version of your file.

I hope this helps a little.

Christian

In reply to christian lukaschik

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Christian

Thanks, and nice to see that edu-sharing is actively supported!
wink

Could you advice me on the versions? Currently we run 1.9.14 under Debian Squeeze. Ideally I would change one thing at a time, is there a version for 1.9? Otherwise, which Moodle 2.x and edu-sharing versions should I start with?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by christian lukaschik -

Hi Visvanat,

atm the newest edu-sharing version only works with moodle 2.x since we changed a lot of things in connection with the support for alfresco 3.4 . We are looking into a new version for moodle 1.9x which should be ready in 1-2 weeks.  Debian should be fine.

Cheers Christian