questionnaire export problem with long answer text

questionnaire export problem with long answer text

by Rob Johnson -
Number of replies: 10

One of my school administrators put together a questionnaire on bullying for students in 6th-8th grades.  When exporting the results, there is a problem where one long answer (88 characters) to a checkbox question splits into two columns.  The answer reads as:

Step in if it’s a friend, don’t get involved if I don’t know the person(s) being bullied

All headers in the export are then inserted on the second row.  If I cut the answer length down, the export works as expected.  Is there a max characters limit in the export?

I have attached the file with any student identification removed.  It is the last answer choice in Q8 where the problem can be seen.  I am using Moodle 2.1.3 and questionnaire version 2010110101. Thanks in advance for any help fixing this issue.

Rob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Johnson

Re: questionnaire export problem with long answer text

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Rob,

PLease attach your questionnaire itself to your reply (not the student responses). I will probably be able to suggest an easy fix.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I have attached a PDF of the questionnaire.  If you would like it in another format, please let me know.

Rob

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Rob,

Actually I'd prefer the questionnaire in moodle 2.1 backup format. Please go to your course and do a backup including only that questionnnaire (without any user data). Send me the exported file which will be called something like backup-moodle2-activity-questionnaire24-20111202-0950-nu.mbz so I can restore it and examine it on my 2.1 moodle test site.

Joseph

by Rob Johnson -

I have attached the backup file.  Thank you again for taking a look.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks for the last file, Rob.

I can spot the problem and will file a bug report with a fix any time soon.

However, for longish choice texts, I would really advise using the "hidden" option, for exporting - in responses - shorter labels instead of the longer text values. This is explained (but needs improvement) in the Questionnaire documentation wiki. Here is what I would suggest for your question #8:

Q.- What are you most likely to do when you see someone being bullied?

Possible answers (choices):

report=Report it to a teacher or staff member
ask to stop=Ask the bully or bullies to stop
Join in
Nothing
step in for friend=Step in if it’s a friend, don’t get involved if I don’t know the person(s) being bullied

The full text of choices will still be displayed to the students taking the questionnaire, but the exported responses file will display the shortened form, much easier to read in your spreadsheet anyway.

Q01->report    Q01->ask to stop    Q01->Join in    Q01->Nothing    Q01->step in for friend

Oh, and you can actually edit your questions and introduce the shortened choice texts even after students have answered the questionnaire. It does not change anything to their answers.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

Reported as CONTRIB-3281 and fixed.

by Rob Johnson -

Thanks Joseph.  I looked for the update in the new plugins database.  I could only find questionnaire in the old one.  Do you plan to move it over?

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Rob,

I'm afraid the Questionnaire plugin will remain as it is until the new "Survey 2" plugin is developed for Moodle (2.3 or later).

Joseph

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Mark Pearson -

Rob,

I wanted the latest build of Questionnaire too so I did a CVS checkout from MOODLE_21_STABLE. I have made a tar-gzip archive which you can find here.

Just download and do $ tar -xvf questionnaire-21.tgz to unpack.

Cheers

Mark

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Mark,

1.- That was not necessary. The easiest way to get the latest version of the Questionnaire module (as for all modules and plugins) is from the so-called "Old modules and plugins" page. More specifically from here:

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=84

2.- Your own zip file contains a few outdated files.

Joseph