Multi-answer questions - help needed

Re: Success! (of sorts...)

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Number of replies: 12
I think this is a very good idea. Most importantly, it doesn't clutter the page while allowing the feedback to be tied to each individual answer.

However, there are some compatibility problems here. The "alt" attribute doesn't seem to work for me on Mozilla 1.4 (a bug in Mozilla?). The "title" attribute works for me in both IE and Mozilla, but in Mozilla long titles are cropped. Moreover, both "alt" and "title" seem to have this tendency to fade too quickly (which might be annoying in the case of longer feedback). Wow, that's quite a few compatibility problems wink

How about a script like alttxt? Each Moodle page already comes with a set of javascript functions (e.g. openpopup) - maybe this one could be added and possibly re-used for other purposes in Moodle?

What do you think?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: Feedback for embedded answers

by Henrik Kaipe -
The title attribute is clearly a better choice then. Perhaps it could be combined with that script functionality?

When I get the time (this weekend) I will dig into this alttxt script.

Anyway, I have the feeling that we now are reaching the boundaries of my HTML knowledge.
Does anyone have any alternative ideas for how to accomplish this 'title effect'?
In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Henrik,

I just see and tested alltxt javascript from Przemyslaw. It is a better script that the one I have suggested.

Sorry for my inattentive reading of previous post.

I will problably, after further testing ( inside moodle ), integrate it ( alltxt ) to activity linking http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2948
If so, that will give you an example of how to do it.

More on that later.

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Henrik Kaipe -
Your solution created a popup that stayed right under the curser. Not bad according to me.

However, whenever I get too fine-grained in design decisions people usually stop agreeing with me, so I won't have any problem accepting this alttxt alternative. Please check that it works for Mozilla thou!

As Przemyslaw pointed out, there is a common javascript library for moodle. This library is found in the file /moodle/lib/javascript.php.
We should put all the common javascript functions in that file so that they can be re-used easily.
In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Actually, I like the script that Bernard suggested a little more than the one I found - for one reason - the alttxt has too many bells-and-whistles (e.g. fading), which probably just make this script heavier than necessary.

On the other hand, Bernard's script has one drawback, too. There is no mechanism to prevent the popup from going out of the window. In cases when the feedback icon is right next to the edge of the window and when there is a lot of feedback text, parts of this text might be invisible (as if "out-of-screen").

I think we might either use a slimmed-down version of alttxt or a modified version of Bernard's script (modified in such a way that it never goes out of window), or search for another one smile

Cheers, everyone!
In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Hi Henrik,

Is there any chance that the feedback for cloze questions will make it into Moodle 1.2? big grin

Cheers,
Przemek
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Henrik Kaipe -
It is hard to say. I will have time to do some work on this before next year but I still haven't improved my javascript skills so I really don't know.

Bernard!
Have you integrated those scripts for the activity linking yet? In that case it would be helpful for me to examine how you made it.
In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Henrik,

I didn't integrated alltxt javascript from Przemyslaw in activity linking because Alvin found a good trick to accept grades < 100% and the script was intended to do that. ( Another  reason is that I am lazy tooshy )

But the test I did was positive.

I just checked your last posting and I realized that you work on multianswer.php and I use missingword.php. ( I made some corrections for negative grades too on it ! )

If you want I will test next week end the script on Moodle quiz and give you feedback.

Bye,

Bernard

by Henrik Kaipe -
Do please not consider yourself lazy. Just trying to keep track of all the work you've made would be most diligent. I can probably work out those scripts on my own so there is no need for you to ruin your weekend.

---

It is funny how your text "I didn't integrated alltxt javascript to ..." has been changed to "I didn't integrated alltxt good trick to ..."
Looks like we have a truly weird bug on our hands here. Any takers?
In reply to Henrik Kaipe

by Bernard Boucher -

Hi Henrik,

don't be afraid to ruin my weekend the tests are done nowapprove

You get 2 feedbacks ( mine and short answerswink ).

The javascript functions of alltxt are added to moodle/lib/javascript.php

moodle/mod/quiz/lib.php is modified at 3 places marked by    // bb alltxt feedback

The colors have to be adjusted!

The feedback itself come from multianswer question ( $feedback[2] ) but I didn't take time to examine how to extract with regulars expressions the appropriate feedback for each parts of the question.

I only tested your demo multianswer questionshy

The post is very narrowbig grin

Hope it will be usefull,

Bernard

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Henrik and Bernard., I owe you both very big thanks for your efforts.big grin I feel a bit guilty for de-freezing this thread and possibly ruining your weekends.

And here's how you can make your posts a little wider: