Usability: moodle tutor's dashboard

Usability: moodle tutor's dashboard

by Stuart Lamour -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

At sussex we have been working hard to make it easier for our tutors to use moodle.

Our tutors often struggle with the information architecture of moodle - where to find things, what they are called, and generally navigation around the settings they are in charge of for their own courses.

Unlike most cms moodle does not have a defined 'admin/editor' interface or pages - its all kind of lumped in the rest of moodle - and users seem to find this confusing.  

Here is one of the developments for our December release - the first in a series - where we try and bring an 'editor pages' design pattern into moodle.

http://blogs.sussex.ac.uk/elearningteam/2011/10/31/moodle-dashboard/

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the blog post.

Would be a useful thing for any other moodle users? and if so, is it a good direction for moodle to take in its own information architecture?

Cheers

Stuart Lamour

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Stuart Lamour

Re: Usability: moodle tutor's dashboard

by Paolo Oprandi -

I am looking forward to this going live in December. I believe the dashboard interface is going to be a huge win with our tutors making their site administration tasks easier.

We have rewritten a couple of core Moodle site management pages. For example we divided up the site settings page, which is currently long and confusing, and the site section management is going to be amazing. But the main advantage the dashboard will bring will be intuitive navigation between the site administration pages - like other modern CMS.

In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Alex Hahn -

This sounds like a worthwhile project! It is rather frustrating as the IT manager and developer to:

1. work out how to use these features in the first place (for myself)

2. teach and then constantly remind other staff how to do things like administer users, enrollments and grades.

In reply to Alex Hahn

by Joe Cape -
Picture of Plugin developers

This is something that I've picked up on which people really want to see in Moodle. In fact, I've been had it that people have flatly refused to accept that the same interface could the mode of interacting both for the student and the teacher/admin and I have ended up creating a sort of dashboard that appears in place of the course list on the index page.

So for me, this would be a huge UX improvement, and what's better, it could be bolted on the existing set-up with only minor changes to what's already there to hide the settings block and other navigation links to reports if using the dashboard. So it shouldn't need a vast amount of regression testing.

I would suggest that a natural alternative to the current state of affairs would be to present the users with the dashboard as their home page if they have been assigned roles that have the dashboard capability assigned in any courses or at any level.

One of the major strengths of Moodle is the detailed settings of capabilities - I'm not sure if other CMS have anything like this. The dashboard could also be stripped down to very little for admins who have few 'capabilities', only read access to reports for instance, and scaled up to the whole depending on what they are able to do.

This would make it a much more attractive proposition for people who might spend just, say, 2% of their working time using Moodle to do very little. Every extra click makes it less likely that they will see Moodle as exacting only this very minimal use of their time and more likely that it will seem to balloon out as they have to forge a way through the course structure to get to the reports they want.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stuart Lamour

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We've implemented some extra "profile pages" which try to bring together data in a student-centric rather than a course-centric way.  Our current pages are:

• Attendance - originally imported into the Moodle attendance module, now a direct SQL query from our MIS database.
  • Grades - a 1-line version of the grader report for each of the student's classes all displayed on one page
  • PLP - A link to the ULCC ILP block's view.php for the student
  • Progress Reviews - A link to the User page in our own Progress Review plugin (which we'll be releasing soon).

These are all just static pages at the moment with nothing too fancy in terms of data presentation.  We're planning to make this info available to parents soon too (with the exception of the PLP) so we might do some work to make this more visual.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)