Not all courses backing up

Re: Not all courses backing up

by Caleb Benefiel -
Number of replies: 0
Well, I already posted this in another thread that I started - but since I know this thread is indexed by Google, and for the sake of completion, I'm going to double post in here smile

------------------------------

Today was an interesting day!

I think I've finally found a solution to the infamous...
-----------------------------------------------
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access `http://www.constructiveteache
r.com/admin/cron.php'
Alert!: Unable to access document.
lynx: Can't access startfile
-----------------------------------------------
...error!

I had a feeling this was a Lynx related problem, but it was hard to tell.  From doing some google searches, I found that the average Lynx timeout was ~110 seconds.  For some reason that I do not understand, this timeout is a bit variable.  That could be why the problem starts out as an occasional problem and then gradually happens more and more often as your Moodle grows.  (on a bad Lynx day, the timeout can be as low as 25 seconds).

So... why use Lynx anyway?

I guess some hosts do not allow you to directly call the PHP binary.  But Total Choice Hosting does let you call PHP.  On my server it's kept in /usr/local/bin/php

So, I altered my CRON process to call:

/usr/local/bin/php /home3/constea/public_html/admin/cron.php > /dev/null

And the problem seemed to go away.

I let 3 complete backups run over the course of a couple hours to make sure it wasn't just a fluke that this fixed the problem.

And I also have implemented all the suggestions I mentioned in the previous thread, so some of those changes could be contributing to this success.

Good luck if you're having this problem!
Caleb Benefiel