Swap out SCORM's and retain existing data?

Swap out SCORM's and retain existing data?

by Under Dog -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 2.0.4

Hello,

I am using Articule to package up my SCORM 1.2 packages, then upload them for use in Moodle.

I want to change the current template I am using and re-publish the SCORM, then replace the existing module in our course.  Is this possible without losing the existing data (i.e. attempts, suspend data, tracking, etc)?

I don't want the students to have to start over, nor do I want to lose any current data?  Failing this, I may just have to create an entirely new course....

Any thought or direction would be appreciated!  Thanks for all of the help.

Cheers,

Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Under Dog

Re: Swap out SCORM's and retain existing data?

by Russell Coombe -

Hi Dave,

I think this is the same question that Kar posted several days ago.  From what I've read, the process is to upload the package to the repository; select the auto-update frequency on the SCORM page and then use the cron.php script to effect the update.

Problem is, it doesn't seem to work!  I've tried the various update-frequencies and the cron script reports that the SCORM data has been updated - but my actual SCO (a SWF file) remains the same.  I've emptied caches, restarted the machine, different machines and even left it a few days and still nothing.

It's something I need resolved, so am going to keep digging.

Mack

In reply to Russell Coombe

by Under Dog -

Hey Mack,

What version of Moodle are you running?

Cheers,

Dave

In reply to Under Dog

by Russell Coombe -

Doh!  So used to forums with profiles or signatures that I keep forgetting this one!

I use a range of Moodles, but am testing this problem on 2.1.1+ and 2.0.

In reply to Under Dog

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dave,
Moodle will remove all tracking data related with items (SCOes) being found different from those of the previous version by exclusively looking at the identifiers in the imsmanifest.xml: if you always keep care of having the same manifest or just adding new items, everything will (ehmm... should wink ) work as expected.

Test it by creating a set of use cases covering the update processes you need/want to support, e.g.:

1. Quick Fix: need of fixing raw assets (images, video, ...) or text (HTML, XML). Expected result: no tracking data loss
  2. More SCOes: need of more SCOes due to an incomplete package delivery e.g. for time constraints or for an update of content which require a new Chapter. Expected result: no trackind data loss
  3. Invalidate SCOes: need of removing SCOes for severe issues. Expected result: loss of tracking data for those removed SCO
  4. ...

Never tested/used the Moodle automation for updates since it is advisable to hide the activity (and previously adding an announcement note below the description of the course containing that activity) on updating it to avoid issues during the time interval in which Moodle will unzip the new package and make considerations about orphan tracking data.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Russell Coombe -

This method worked fine and was easy under v1.  But with the release of v2+ everything's been changed and when you do eventually work out where the files are - there is a warning file not to meddle.

I have swapped out a SWF SCO this way and it still worked but given the steps involved it seem prudent that the offical method would be the best route.

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

FYI: I'll start looking at the SCORM package update automation in 2.x the next week and post update here and eventually file the issue and a patch proposal into the Tracker.

Matteo

by Matteo Scaramuccia -

About applying "Quick Fix": though I discourage this way of working, sometimes real life need them.

Look at here for a potential (== external QA required) way of applying them easily without the need to republish the ZIP package. Note: please, keep care that at the end of such a Quick Fix process you'll have a ZIP package not aligned with the raw assets actually in delivery, which could be bad if you're responsible for the "consistency" of your Moodle instance.

HTH,
Matteo