Git help!! I don't understand rebase enough...

Git help!! I don't understand rebase enough...

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As ever, this needs a bit of explanation. I was fixing a bug (which I am starting to regret) and the fix was rejected. By now another week has gone by and the Moodle stable branch has been updated, so, on my local machine

* checkout my bug branch
* work work work, commit commit commit
* git rebase MOODLE_19_STABLE (which was previously updated to the latest)
* git push github

Can't - the branches have 'diverged'. Although I kinda see what has happened. I don't really understand what I should have done. Obviously I can just force it, but is that the right thing to do? Something bad always happens when I use rebase tongueout

Any help appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Git help!! I don't understand rebase enough...

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Howard,

No, I am not offering help,sad but asking the same question. What does rebase do?thoughtful

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It does a lot of weird things but it's main use is to 'move' the starting point of your branch. So if I started a new branch from MOODLE_19_STABLE last month to fix a bug there will be my changes to my bug branch BUT there will have been changes to MOODLE_19_STABLE too. I can just merge them but that mixes up all the commits.

Rebase is clever because it replays my commits from what MOODLE_19_STABLE looks like *now*. That is the result is as if I had created the new branch (and made all the commits) today, not last month.

It can also do some really mental stuff when you want to move a complete branch with multiple commits from one place to another.

by Hubert Chathi -

(Please excuse the ASCII art ;) ) Say Moodle has the following commits:

- M1 - M2 -
and you start developing at this point
 - M1 - M2 - H1 - H2 -
While you're developing, Moodle also makes some changes
 - M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 -

A merge will do this:

- M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 - * -
          \- H1 - H2 -/
That is, it will create a new commit that tells git that two branches have been merged.

A rebase will do this:

- M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 - H1' - H2' -
That is, it will rewrite your changes so that they apply on top of the end of the tree (M4), instead of apply onto M2. (H1' is a rewritten version of H1.)

Now, if you keep developing off of the rebased version:

- M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 - H1' - H2' - H3 - H4 -
and Moodle keeps developing:
 - M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 - M5 - M6 -

If you rebase again, you will get this:

- M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 - M5 - M6 - H1'' - H2'' - H3' - H4' -
In other words, it rewrites all four of your commits to apply on top of M6, instead of M4.

If you try to push now, then github has:

- M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 - H1' - H2' -
but, the trees have 'diverged', so it doesn't know what to do.

To decide what to do at this point, you need to consider how your actions affect 1. yourself, 2. the Moodle tracker issue you're working on, and 3. people (if any) who have cloned your tree.

Some options that you have are:

1. force push: this is probably easiest on yourself, probably doesn't affect the Moodle tracker issue much, but will mess up anyone who has cloned from your tree (and made any modifications of their own on top of yours). This is because anyone who has cloned from your tree will have the "- M1 - M2 - M4 - H1' - H2' -" version, and when they pull the new version, their git will be confused, and they'd probably end up having to re-clone your tree and re-apply their own changes.
  2. create a new branch for the newly rebased tree, and leave the old tree as-is: this will leave you with a useless (to you) branch, probably doesn't affect the Moodle tracker issue much, and will leave anyone who has cloned from your tree with a non-broken setup, but they wouldn't get your new changes.
  3. go back in time and do a merge instead of a rebase: If you did a merge the second time instead of a rebase, it would have resulted in:
     - M1 - M2 - M3 - M4   -   M5   -   M6   -   *
                        \- H1' - H2' - H3 - H4 -/

which git would understand how to handle when you do a push, because it has "- M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 - H1' - H2' -" as a sub-tree. Aside from having to build a time machine (or figure out how to get git to go back in time), this is also easy on yourself, and would also be easy for anyone who has cloned from your tree. I do not know how it would affect the Moodle tracker issue -- maybe a core developer could comment.

Basically, if nobody has cloned from your tree (or you don't support people cloning from your tree), option 1 is the best -- rebasing gives a nice linear commit tree. If other people are cloning from your tree, option 3 is best, as long as it doesn't hinder the Moodle tracker issue too much. If it does hinder the Moodle tracker issue, and you need to support people cloning from your tree, then you may need to manually maintain two branches -- one for option 1 and one for option 2.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Tim Hunt -

git push -f {branchname}

The -f option tells git that you are sure you want to push the re-written history. (Doesn't the error message suggest using -f?)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
Thanks - that's what I thought but I get nervous if contemplating a 'force'

I'll have another look, but I don't remember seeing anything like that.

by Robert Striker -

Git's not too bad once you know what your doing, its just the commands arent that obvious, personally I prefer mercurial as its essentially the same thing, but with a more user friendly front end. However if your interested in a more comericial git support option I'd recommend Clearvision-CM

In reply to Robert Striker

by Juho Viitasalo -

One of my branches in my forked Github Moodle has been merged in the main project. (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31903)

It is instructed here that you should delete the merged branches from you repositories.

I first did this to get my repositories up to date...

-----------------------------------
git remote add upstream git://git.moodle.org/moodle.git
git fetch upstream
git push origin refs/remotes/upstream/MOODLE_22_STABLE:MOODLE_22_STABLE
git push origin refs/remotes/upstream/master:master
git checkout master
git merge origin/master
----------------------------------------

Then I did this to see which branches were merged:
git branch --merged upstream/master

It just prints:
master