How to update individual files in a loaded scorm package

How to update individual files in a loaded scorm package

by ethan estes -
Number of replies: 7

So I finished setting up our new moodle server with 2.0. In going through and testing our processes I noticed that how content is stored is based on the new file api-looks to be encrypted when you view it in windows explorer. So say I deployed a new course, during review the client asked for a change as they call a security process "Y" vs the industry standard "X". That request requires us to make changes to 2 .xml files and 2 .mp3 files. How do I go about getting those 4 files into the already deployed scorm package and overwriting the original ones?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ethan estes

Re: How to update individual files in a loaded scorm package

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

you don't do this using windows explorer - make the change to a local version, zip it back up again and update the SCORM providing the new zip.

but...if you're doing this a lot, check out this post - it might give you a few ideas:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=175041#p768174

In reply to Dan Marsden

by ethan estes -

Dan, is there a way to use the repositories to access a scorm course in a flat file structure in the repository? I'm currently using it with zips but updates still require uploading the new zip, going into the course and retargeting to the new zip as I understand it.

Maybe I'm an outlier here but our course zips are usually over 500mbs in size (when we have audio and video files included). This new model of storing course content is really a pain in the butt. Seems like a step back from 1.9 where you had file access to the content and could actually edit text files in a scorm package via moodle itself.

In reply to ethan estes

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It should be possible for a developer to modify the file system repo to do this - or using a different repo but I don't think anyone has done it yet sorry!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Ian Wright -

Dan, such a facility would get my vote.  I have a multimedia course of about 230MB and near 2,000 files which I'm looking to move to Moodle, and I agree that the current repository is a pain in the butt.  Your reference d=175041#p768174 is useful but doesn't really do the job, and the repo is not something us mere mortals should tinker with...

In reply to Ian Wright

by Dan Marsden -

It gets my vote too! wink

it's unlikely I'll have time to spend on it (unless someone funds my time to do the work...)

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Ian Wright -

So an improvement request has been logged at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-28579.

Votes set priority, so go there and vote for it!

In reply to Ian Wright

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ian,
give DAVRoot a try: you must use a testing environment for safety reasons (external QA required). At least you'll see for the very first time how the new Moodle virtual file system appears in terms of hierarchies (contexts, ...) and contents smile.

I've spent a lot of my spare time to understand how Moodle Files API works and how it could be easily represented someway: this plugin is the result of my comprehension.

HTH,
Matteo