Moodle 1.9 backup files needed for testing

Moodle 1.9 backup files needed for testing

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi everyone!

In preparation for the release of Moodle 2.1 in two weeks time, Moodle HQ developers will be testing the restore of Moodle 1.9 backup files into 2.1. To do so, we're requesting your help by sending us your 1.9 backup files for use in testing.

All 1.9 backups (course and activity) are appreciated, though we'd especially like activity backups of complex activities, such as a quiz with a large number or type of questions, a database with many fields, or a lesson with many branches, paths and questions etc. Basically the messier the better!

A short description of the course/activities backed up would also be helpful, for example

Attached: sciencefair.zip
A lesson activity with 7 questions, 2 jumps and 3 branch pages. Has media (images and audio). User data included.

As it is not yet possible to restore user data into Moodle 2.1 from a 1.9 backup, it is not necessary for your backup to include user data. However, it would be a bonus for us if it does, as it would enable us to use your backup for testing user data restore in future.

Please note that all backup files sent to us will be used for testing purposes only, and will not be shared outside Moodle HQ.

Please send your backup files to our Education Researcher, Tomaz (tomaz@moodle.com).

Thanks in advance for your help in ensuring that the restore of Moodle 1.9 backup files into 2.1 is as bug-free as possible!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Moodle 1.9 backup files needed for testing

by ben reynolds -

I've got a backup I can contribute, but it is 3.6 Mb, which is kind of large for an email.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Billeter -

Hi Helen,

I have some very large courses that I think are perfect for your tests. We have a new moodle site set up in 2.0.3. We recieved course content from UCCP in moodle 1.9.X.

Currently I'm trying to update this content by setting up a 1.9.X site, upgradeing moodle, and backing up the course. So far the backup freezes each time.

Its encouraging to see that the next version of moodle might have support for these sort of upgrades.

Please send me a message so we can coordinate the transfer of about 500MB in course data.

In reply to Joseph Billeter

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks to everyone who has sent 1.9 backup files to Tomaz. We now have a nice selection of backups with and without user data, though more are always appreciated!

Joseph, are you saying that when you attempt to backup courses on your 1.9 site, the backup freezes? If so, perhaps the advice in Backup and restore FAQ can help you. Please contact Tomaz (tomaz@moodle.com) directly regarding sending large backup files.