Moodle documentation: SCORM Docs Content Deleted, Menus Altered

Moodle documentation: SCORM Docs Content Deleted, Menus Altered

by Amy Groshek -
Number of replies: 7

All of the content on SCORM admin settings which I created a few weeks ago has been deleted, and the SCORM template menu has been revised to eliminate links to important information like SCORM reports, Viewing a SCORM, and Adding/Editing a SCORM. Deleted content has not been reincorporated anywhere that I can find.

I've put a lot of work into maintaining and organizing that content, and we routinely refer people to it from the SCORM discussion forum. I do not understand why links to this content are being eliminated, and why the content itself is being deleted. I haven't written that documentation for nothing; I've written it because users have asked questions in the SCORM module forum more than once, and it saves us time to refer them. When we do refer them, we don't want to refer them to a long, unwieldy forum thread, we want to refer them to clear, orderly documentation.

In my opinion, if pages of content are deleted, they should be the pages which explain what SCORM is, list out SCORM authorware, and discuss the SCORM schema. These are topics that are larger than Moodle, and not up to Moodle.org to explain. ADL is and should be responsible for explaining SCORM, not Moodle. The other content, however, is specific to Moodle and most of it has been added as an explicit response to user inquiry. A quick search will demonstrate how often we refer people to the following pages: http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/SCORM_reports
http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Adding/editing_a_SCORM

The SCORM_Admin_Options page would have been another such page, as we've already had a handful of questions about SCORM Site Admin settings. Unless that information is addressed elsewhere, it should be a part of the SCORM docs.

If this sort of executive deletion and alteration is going to continue in the future then I am not going to contribute to or maintain the docs any longer.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amy Groshek

Re: Moodle documentation: SCORM Docs Content Deleted, Menus Altered

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Amy- I think your work is now in the 1.9 docs as I looked here

http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/SCORM_Admin_Options

The new docs point to 2.0 which is maybe why they are empty?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amy Groshek -
Ok, that's fine, but that documentation is expressly for 2.0... why was it moved to a 1.9 page?

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've no idea - maybe everything in the docs was moved wholesale over to 1.9 regardless of what it said it was targetted at?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Amy,

Many thanks for your contributions to the SCORM documentation and I'm very sorry it was omitted from the new 2.0 wiki. This was completely unintentional. sad

The English Moodle Docs wiki was copied about a month ago to form the basis of the new 2.0 wiki. Thus any 2.0 documentation which was added between then and now is missing from the 2.0 wiki. I've added MDLSITE-1294 to my to-do-asap list. I notice you've started adding stuff to the 2.0 wiki SCORM FAQ. Many thanks and apologies again for your contributions going missing.

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Tomaz Lasic -

Hi Amy.

Copying from Talk page... with added public acknowledgment of your excellent contributions! Thank you

Sorry but I have no idea why some pages did not transfer over, will investigate. I certainly have not deleted ANY content (as Helen pointed out in the forum, IF any losses they are totally unintentional).

What I have done (as indicated in Page notes#SCORM):

* Moved Adding/editing_a_SCORM to SCORM settings - The page refers to actions BEFORE the activity is opened to course participants.
* Moved Viewing a SCORM to Using SCORM - The page refers to actions AFTER the activity is opened to participants.

All those links still work, they just display the second named page.

Reason:

Consistency with the rest of the templates for ALL activities (SCORM is an activity after all), as outlined in the notes. We are not losing content as you suggest, and you can still add pages too.

The (new) templates are simply a way to ensuring a particular and familiar way to organise information (arguably an easier way to find information across the Docs, not just SCORM) across ALL activities. Forum, Wiki, Database etc will all have the same structure, see  this post ) people will of course still be able to 'help themselves' as you point out.

Feel free to rewrite the content and link (prominently or less so) to the pages you create or edit but I do hope that you see the rationale for my actions as well.

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just piping in here to thank Amy for all her hard work on SCORM - both in docs and support in the forums - your in depth knowledge on SCORM has been really helpful! - in fact... Helen - could you please add Amy as a public moderator to the SCORM forum please? (unless she objects!)

please don't stop working on it! - the docs have been a really valuable resource and it's great that someone else has had time to devote to improving them!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Dan and thanks again Amy. You now have moderator rights to the SCORM forum.