SharePoint 2010 & Moodle 2 Integration

SharePoint 2010 & Moodle 2 Integration

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 10

Hi

I know this subject has been discussed within this forum many times, apologies for stirring it up again within a new post.  Has anyone integrated or having future plans of integrating SharePoint 2010 within Moodle 2 using SP 2010 as the file repository?

We are planning to upgrade to Moodle 2 from 1.9 sometime after the new year but need to determine what repository we should be heading with for our teaching staff. Though we do use SharePoint for our document management and there are possible plans to upgrade our SharePoint implementation from WSS 3.0 to 2010 version within the next 6 months. We did think of Alfresco but this is 'another system' for the staff to learn and ourselves to administer.

We also considered the staff using FTP software and using a Moodle repository but this was also ruled out.

Also, what other repositories are other institutions/organisations using within Moodle 2 other that what's core within Moodle 2?  Are there any plans for additional repositories to be incorporated within future versions of Moodle? 

Any help would be appriecated,

Ali

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Hastie

Re: SharePoint 2010 & Moodle 2 Integration

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ali

You are certainly not alone in wanting this. However, development SharePoint-Moodle integration seems to have stalled at 2007-1.9

http://www.educationlabs.com/projects/sharepointmoodle/Pages/default.aspx

Even though we have SharePoint 2010, we are seriously considering Alfresco, alongside, as the Moodle repository. At the moment Alfresco seems the only viable (open source) option as an institutional repository for Moodle 2

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Ali Hastie -

Hi Geoffrey

Thanks for the reply and link, which got me exciting a few months ago but when I realised that things were changing for Moodle 2... the excitement soon died down smile

Alex Pearce seems to be enthusiastic about SharePoint and Moodle integrations, I wonder  what plans he has for the very near future concerning SP and Moodle?

http://www.bfcnetworks.com/integrating-sharepoint-and-moodle-storing-moodle-docs-in-sharepoint-part-1/

I would dearly go with Alfresco as I'm pretty sure we could integrate SP with Alfresco. But...what worries me, as I mentioned within my first post, is that it's 'another system' for us to administer and staff to learn.

Thanks again,

Ali

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Fully understand the 'another system' issue. We already have Moodle (1.9 & 2.0) + Mahara + Redmine + Mindtouch + MediaWiki +Wikindx + SharePoint +... sad

The Alex Pearce posts are encouraging. Thanks for the link.

From a quick scan of these, it looks as though the SharePoint 2010 end-of-things may be sorted though I'm still not sure about Moodle 2.0.

Perhaps a 'quick fix' using Moodle 2.0 and 'legacy course files' (i.e. Moodle 1.9-like architecture) and then a 'proper fix' through the new repository API.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Kerry J -

We're in the same boat.  We want to make things simpler for our online trainers and for document management, not have multiple systems they need to master.

Cheers

KerryJ

In reply to Kerry J

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Hi again

Just wondering if there is a way forward with SharePoint 2010 and Moodle 2.x as follows:

1. Follow the first part (Step 1) of the Microsoft Education Labs white paper to set up a SharePoint Document Library (or Libraries) with a WebDAV interface.

2. Use the new Moodle 2.0 Repository API to add the SharePoint Document Library as a Site-wide (or Course-wide? or User private?) WebDAV repository instance.

Settings >> Site administration >> Plugins >> Repositories

This could be further simplified for the user by mapping a file-system folder or drive to the WebDAV-enabled Document Library. Then the user could add and edit files in the folder in their file-system/desktop and they would be immediately available in the Moodle repository. i.e. a user would not (necessarily) directly use SharePoint at all.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Lisa Carothers -

Hi,

My sistuation is related to this topic but goes in a different direction. Our school district started out with SharePoint about 7-8 years ago, and officially brought in Moodle 2-3 years ago. The district now does not want to continue supporting SharePoint (or pay for any upgrades) and wants all teachers to eventually migrate over to Moodle. In most cases, this is just an annoyance for teachers, but a few have developed a ton of content and sophistication within SharePoint. It would take countless hours for these few teachers to manually trandfer files, recreate a similar organizational structure, etc. within Moodle.

My question: Is there a way to convert SharePoint to Moodle or to otherwise bring over the SharePoint content (and potentially structure) in a less painful way? We are currently running Moodle 1.9+ and will upgrade to Moodle 2.0 during Sping 2012. I think the latest version of SharePoing we have is 2003.

Thanks!

In reply to Lisa Carothers

by Paul Raper -

This discussion/thread has an interesting direction. Do I understand that if SP is used as a repository with Moodle, this means that the files are dynamically available in Moodle? One problem that has always existed with Moodle is that when files are stored in Moodle, updated versions of those files stored outside Moodle are not reflected in Moodle itself. The only way I knew of to make them dynamically available was by storing them on a FTP server, and then using the URL/file link function. However, this means creating a link for every file.

Further, at our University, it calls into question file security. However, if I understand you all correctly, SharePoint gets round this by creating a secure repository which dynamically links the files to Moodle: Am I right in this understanding?

In reply to Paul Raper

by James Rivers -

Hi Paul et al,. 

has this progressed? 

I am in a similar position. All content is hosted on SP 2013. 

I need to have that content on the CMS (SP2013) to be dynamically linked to the Moodle classes. 

James

In reply to James Rivers

by Vinod Vyas -

Hi all

I too looking for similar solution. I wish to integrate Moodle (2.7.x) with Sharepoint 2013 along with Nintex.

Thanks,

Vinod

In reply to Vinod Vyas

by James Jephcott -

I am also looking at integrating SharePoint 2013 with Moodle. We have documents that are kept in SharePoint as a source for printing and versions kept in moodle, and would like to make sure both versions are always the same.