Using the Database Module as a Curricular-Resource Database

Using the Database Module as a Curricular-Resource Database

by Robert Lunday -
Number of replies: 5

Is anyone using this module as a database for collecting departmental resources accessible to faculty? What I have in mind is a resource that could be in a "course" shell set up for all faculty in a department that would appear in their Moodle course list; the database would be a depository for syllabi, handouts, links, tips, etc. that all faculty could contribute to and access -- it would be set up in particular for adjuncts just starting out with a particular course who are in need of materials/ideas.

I've just started learning how to use Moodle (Joule), and just came across the Database activity; so, I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has experience using the activity in the above-described manner, with advice on setting up fields and templates, and perhaps theAdmin issues in getting the database (in a course, I assume) set up for use by al faculy in a department or institution.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Lunday

Re: Using the Database Module as a Curricular-Resource Database

by Alex Black -

Hi Robert

The database tool is really worth investigating. Great deal of possibilities.

Maybe this is of some use to you http://www.abceducation.ch/mod/data/view.php?id=247

It is specifically designed for our IB Middle Years Programme documentation and as a non logged in user you can see it and search it .If you log in as username  testteacher   password testteacher    you can edit and upload files to the resource tab at http://www.abceducation.ch/mod/data/view.php?d=2&mode=single#page=page-7

Go to the test entry and you will see a file to download

Specif and fine grained permissions can be set so some groups can view, others edit and upload. Others design and add templates and field etc.

The templates can be edited to what you want. It has a java script and tab.css to give it its form. I am not a web developer but just adjusted this script to my needs.

If you want to download the database go here http://www.abceducation.ch/#page=page-6

You can download it adapt it and then put it into your moodle site as a preset.

This preset can be made available site wide and makes the database available in different instances in each course. It is an  empty vesssel that can be used for different departments

If you or anyone else can use it, adapt it donate to our partner school atthe same adress.

Cheers

Alex

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alex Black

by Robert Lunday -

Thanks, Alex -- I'm studying various uses of this activity, and your examples help.

In reply to Robert Lunday

by David Tong -

Robert,

We have an open source project "TODCM" located at http://todcm.org for doing curriculum management and mapping. Bascially, this is the open source alternative of commercial software such as Atlas Rubicon, CL Curriculum Mapper etc. This may work for your purpose.

Alex had contacted us for additional PYP and MYP unit templates which we provided but we haven't received any feedback from him yet.

In reply to David Tong

by Alex Black -

Hi David

Yes thanks for the templates. Myself and our MYP co-ordinator have been investigating TODCM and up till now are very impressed. Next phase is to have a group of Heads of Departments to use the system to enter some of there existing units. Then if they see it as user freindly  we will look to school wide development.

Cheers

Alex

In reply to Alex Black

by David Tong -

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update. FYI, we will be releasing a new version of TODCM in about a month that will include professional development evaluation with integrated student survey, another major new feature is to allow guest login to read the curriculum units.

Cheers,

David

Average of ratings: Useful (1)